Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 02-16-2019
Varsity

Watching the 3A mat finals online. I don't see one newbie ref. I've seen all of these guys as a coach. They are all very good.
Old 02-16-2019
two

Why are the refs so anti celebration? I watched the kid from Heyward become his schools first ever state champ and the ref is like get back over here you can’t celebrate, you can’t hug your coach. Get your hand raised and act like you’ve done it before. Oh wait no one has done it before from his school. He did nothing Desanto like he was just excited. Give them a break and let the kids celebrate.
Old 02-16-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwsingle View Post
Why are the refs so anti celebration? I watched the kid from Heyward become his schools first ever state champ and the ref is like get back over here you canít celebrate, you canít hug your coach. Get your hand raised and act like youíve done it before. Oh wait no one has done it before from his school. He did nothing Desanto like he was just excited. Give them a break and let the kids celebrate.
Shake hands then celebrate. Thatís how it works. Right call by official. Congrats to Levi and Gabe. Both awesome young men as well as wrestlers.
Old 02-16-2019
two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook-N-Tilt View Post
Shake hands then celebrate. Thatís how it works. Right call by official. Congrats to Levi and Gabe. Both awesome young men as well as wrestlers.
No fun zone here I guess. He couldnít shake his hand kid was still laying on the mat. Celebrate away you earned it.
Old 02-16-2019
Varsity

I can't speak to that, but all these refs are all very good and earned the state tournament.
Old 02-16-2019
Varsity

Thanks for the reply...Sounds like it is going in the right direction, that's all I can ask for.

We/Illinois and this board are so passionate about wrestling, be thankful we watching, and keeping you boys on your toes. I would imagine we want nothing but the best for this great sport and the refs are part of it.

Control!
Old 02-16-2019
Junior Varsity

Drawing attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Turban View Post
However, it should not be out of bounds for people to non-confrontationally discuss on a neutral message board.
And I wholeheartedly agree, it absolutely is not. I would never say that either. I embrace free speech. The sharp mind would know I was doing two things. #1 educating folks on the fact that we need more officials, and new officials. #2 challenging people who never miss a call from the bleachers, behind the keyboard, and at home to come try it out and also inform them we have tried to eliminate any barrier we can. It will humble you and give you a perspective unlike any other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagle 157 View Post
Watching the 3A mat finals online. I don't see one newbie ref. I've seen all of these guys as a coach. They are all very good.
Thatís because they werenít on the 3A mat for the finals. But, I promise the IHSA assigned 5 officials that were new to the Individual finals and they worked all weekend.

The final thing I was trying to communicate is that there was a balanced group of officials this past weekend who were both new to Champaign and guys that have been there for 3 decades.

Mission has been accomplished. I wasnít looking to shut anyone up, just wanted to bring awareness to the need for more men and women to be willing to put on the stripes!

Good luck and god bless!
Old 02-16-2019
Varsity

there were some shockers

106 3rd place match 6 or 7 penalty points, 160 semis instantaneous takedown, and the stalemates/ 4 steps back=no stalling
refs took over matches = non bueno
Old 02-16-2019
Junior Varsity

Disappointed

I was very disappointed in the some of the refs. Thought some of the stalling calls were terrible. This is the state tournament if some of the BS stalling calls that were made this tournament are going to be called call it that way from the beginning to end of the season be consistent. One match stalling is called the same thing happens in the next match itís not. Take downs near the edge is the mat are called one match and the very next match they are not. No one is asking to be perfect but consistency from the beginning of the season to the end would be appreciated.
Old 02-17-2019
Advanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwsingle View Post
No fun zone here I guess. He couldnít shake his hand kid was still laying on the mat. Celebrate away you earned it.
Then help or wait for him to get up, shake his hand, go celebrate. I hate any and all celebration before the final handshake. It's disrespectful and shows up your opponent. But JMO.
Sponsored Links