Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 08-27-2016
Olympian

Chance Marsteller

Now why would you argue with police while you're standing there naked?

Lauden

Chance Marsteller, undefeated four-time Pennsylvania high school state champ who had recently returned to his home state to wrestle at Lock Haven University after two years at Oklahoma State, is "no longer associated" with his new school's wrestling program after being arrested Thursday night, as new details about his arrest have emerged.

On Friday night, Lock Haven University Sports Information Director Douglas Spatafore wrote in an email to GameTimePA.com that Marsteller is no longer a member of the Lock Haven wrestling team. The university provided no further comment.

Marsteller was arrested on multiple charges, including aggravated assault, disorderly conduct, disorderly conduct/fighting, six counts of recklessly endangering another, six counts of simple assault and one count of open lewdness for incidents which allegedly occurred on the LHU campus and the emergency room at Lock Haven Hospital overnight Thursday. Marsteller is currently being held at Clinton County Correctional Facility on $50,000 bail.

The Lock Haven police affidavit of probable cause provided new details on two separate incidents involving Marsteller on campus and at the hospital.

The city police criminal complaint says the first incident occurred at 11:35 p.m. Thursday when Marsteller was observed by others allegedly running door to door at an apartment complex for students, knocking on doors while naked, The Record of Clinton County reported Saturday.

Police responded, stating that Marsteller began to argue with them about obtaining his identification. According to the police report, officers handcuffed the wrestler and placed a towel around him.

Marsteller was placed in a police car to take him to the county jail. However, according to the police report, he allegedly engaged "in threatening officers and screaming obscenities" and repeatedly slammed his head against the partition separating the front and rear seats of the car. The report goes on to state that officers had to resort to pepper spray to "successfully get him to cease harming himself." After that police said they took Marsteller to the Lock Haven Hospital emergency room to "detoxify him."

The police report goes on to state that Marsteller tried to lunge at an emergency room staffer but was stopped by police.

Two city police officers attempted to restrain Marsteller on the floor, with the wrestler allegedly refusing to be held while "kicking, elbowing, biting, head-butting, splitting blood." An LHU police officer and two state troopers were summoned to lend assistance. During the altercation, city police said, the "ER staff did inject Marsteller with several doses of tranquilizing agent. Marsteller did continue to violently resist until those drugs took full effect at approximately 1 a.m." The Record continued.

A four-time PIAA (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association) wrestling champ, Marsteller compiled a perfect 166-0 record at Kennard Dale High School. The highly-recruited wrestler had originally committed to Penn State before switching to Oklahoma State. However, Marsteller struggled in his second year with the Cowboys, and was suspended in January 2016 by head coach John Smith for an undisclosed violation of team rules. Marsteller later announced his plans to return to Pennsylvania to wrestle at Lock Haven.
Old 08-28-2016
Olympian

Unfortunately Lauden, the answer to why Chance would argue w/ the police is in the article-
"police said they took Marsteller to the Lock Haven Hospital emergency room to "detoxify him."

Mood altering compounds were involved, and considering that he was previously suspended for "breaking team rules" while at OSU, there's at least a probability that Chance has a problem that needs to be addressed. It's not a "well, he's a kid" thing; some human bodies and minds really don't stand a chance against mind altering compounds and, as a result, this kid will be paying a serious price for thinking "I can handle this".
I'd say I hope he gets the help he needs, but at this point he's really going to need to make a decision for himself as to whether he wants to turn this thing around.
(BTW: I don't know what he took, and I do consider even alcohol to be a mind altering compound).
Old 08-28-2016
Varsity

wow already kicked off the team ?a college kid drunk on campus ..like that never happens athletes like johnny football and james winston and many more college athletes are allowed to have their case played out in court and in most cases allowed to adleast practice and in some still allowed to play on game day and some of them involve serious sexual misconduct where a victim is scared for life.....there has been no admission of guilt from him or finding in a courtroom yet and already he is gone

he should be in trouble he ran around intoxicated but naked but im wondering ...where did the officers expect a but naked bad *** to produce an i.d from

then he screamed obscenities and threats toward officers ..that goes on every weekend police are forced to dodge bricks listen to mobs of protesters stand by as people disrupt traffic and wish them harm or some cases death all why being provoked and insulted by the very people they serve and protect

then if he was trying to beat everyones *** and he is obviously not a small guy rather than throw him in the drunk tank at county two officers take him to a hospital after all those threats he has made not to mention im sure the pepper spray is not helping his mood and they are surprised he lunged at someone ...why is he not in restraints ....i respect police and make sure my family doesas well .... but in this case an irrational intoxicated man who is at fault but the police handled it poorly and to be removed from the team so swiftly is unfair ....its a double standard in college athletics not to mention his charges

you can turn on the news and watch groups insult and threaten even attempt to harm police or innocent bystanders wearing masks and they are interviewed and allowed to scream obscenities and threats on live tv ......he may or may not be guilty but he should be heard ......and after all given some sort of credit he obviously had no interest in concealing his idenity
Old 08-29-2016
Varsity

Justify?

I know, I should stay out of this, but sorry I can't. I don't know this particular wrestler from the man in the moon, but it is surprising that you justify his actions. When we start to say this is behavior that happens all the time on college campuses, and what do you expect, etc etc we are in worse shape than I thought.

Sorry, but I cannot condone nor defend this type of behavior at any level. Does he need to get help, sure sounds like it. Should we just accept and defend this type of behavior? Never in my book.
Old 08-29-2016
Obi-Wan Kenobi

This is Marsteller's 2nd team. He had his issues and was suspended for the majority of last season. When he transferred into Lock Haven I wouldn't doubt that it was under the condition of some type of zero tolerance stipulation.
While there will be due process for the legal proceedings we don't know what he said or admitted to the coaches or other members of the athletic department.

Because they are saying that he is not associated with the team does not necessarily mean he was kicked out of school and wouldn't be able to work his way back onto the team. I don't know that is the case but if so he wouldn't be the 1st or the last kid to be kicked off a team while they get themselves together and then were given the opportunity to work themselves back onto the team.

Hard for me to have an issue with him being put off the team (if he was put off the team) without me knowing everything the coaches and athletic department knows about this or any agreement they had with Marsteller.
"No longer associated" with the team. For all we know it could have been mutual, stemmed from an incident before this one that wasn't made public or Marsteller quit.

Last edited by PapaBearSLIM; 08-29-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-29-2016
Kickerboxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstick View Post
wow already kicked off the team ?a college kid drunk on campus ..like that never happens athletes like johnny football and james winston and many more college athletes are allowed to have their case played out in court and in most cases allowed to adleast practice and in some still allowed to play on game day and some of them involve serious sexual misconduct where a victim is scared for life.....there has been no admission of guilt from him or finding in a courtroom yet and already he is gone

he should be in trouble he ran around intoxicated but naked but im wondering ...where did the officers expect a but naked bad *** to produce an i.d from

then he screamed obscenities and threats toward officers ..that goes on every weekend police are forced to dodge bricks listen to mobs of protesters stand by as people disrupt traffic and wish them harm or some cases death all why being provoked and insulted by the very people they serve and protect

then if he was trying to beat everyones *** and he is obviously not a small guy rather than throw him in the drunk tank at county two officers take him to a hospital after all those threats he has made not to mention im sure the pepper spray is not helping his mood and they are surprised he lunged at someone ...why is he not in restraints ....i respect police and make sure my family doesas well .... but in this case an irrational intoxicated man who is at fault but the police handled it poorly and to be removed from the team so swiftly is unfair ....its a double standard in college athletics not to mention his charges

you can turn on the news and watch groups insult and threaten even attempt to harm police or innocent bystanders wearing masks and they are interviewed and allowed to scream obscenities and threats on live tv ......he may or may not be guilty but he should be heard ......and after all given some sort of credit he obviously had no interest in concealing his idenity
ok...your actually trying to justify these actions by pointing at others and their bad behavior and suggesting the police did not handle properly, and he needs his day in court. fine...but wrestling teams do not want this on the team and it is in the papers you sign at commitment...

How about this, hopefully he gets the help needed and takes some personal responsibility for his actions.
Old 08-29-2016
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Dobler View Post
ok...your actually trying to justify these actions by pointing at others and their bad behavior and suggesting the police did not handle properly, and he needs his day in court. fine...but wrestling teams do not want this on the team and it is in the papers you sign at commitment...

How about this, hopefully he gets the help needed and takes some personal responsibility for his actions.
im not trying to justify his behavior at all i stated that ......but i think he should have an opportunity to be heard not removed from the team in a public email while he is still locked up .....he should be suspended and a final determination made after an investigation....if the standard was the same for every ncaa athlete at every school was immediate removal from the team i would support it 100% but its not .....and i am a supporter of police and first responders an d make sure my children are as well ...but with the behavior and threats he was making and the fact he was under the influence and his physical size and demeanor he did not belong in a hospital room with handcuffs where he could hurt someone he belonged in a drunk tank in jail
Old 08-30-2016
Junior Varsity

Unfortunately Quickstick it doesn't quite work that way. When taking someone into custody regardless of how drunk an idiot they are, that individuals health and well being is priority number one. Not sure the exact facts of this case, but whatever force the officers needed to use in order to place this individual into custody more likely than not resulted in this individual needing to be cleared medically before he could be taken into the station to be processed. Every state is different, but this is based off my knowledge as a police officer here in Illinois. As far as every NCAA athlete being treated equally, I agree and think there should be a strict procedure used across the entire NCAA for all sports, as you mentioned perhaps suspension indefinitely until a decision of guilt or innocence is determined in court. The problem is and always will be however that some student athletes feel because of their athletic abilities they can, say or act, in any manner they choose. What they often fail to realize is that the sport they are playing represents an academic institution no an athletic institution. Assuming they can get away with a little more than the average student because they are a student athlete is garbage. I was fortunate enough to be able to play division 1 college football for 3 seasons and in that time I learned to hold myself to a higher standard rather than try and bend the rules. These athletes are all adults they know what is right and what is wrong. You want to act a fool, and break the rules, then man up and accept whatever punishment comes your way.
Old 08-30-2016
Shikellamy Braves

I'm saddened by this news. Hoping that he is able to find his way back from whatever demons he is struggling with right now. Chance is like so many wrestlers who find tremendous success in high school only to struggle at the next level- on and off the mat. The educational psychologist in me begs the question... what is the difference maker for those who make it? Is it internal or external forces that allow some student-athletes to be successful? Why are some resilient and others not? I have my hunch...
Old 08-30-2016
Varsity

first off i thank you for your service as a police officer ...i have no problem with police using force ibase my opinion off the fact he was in a squad on his way to jail making threats and thrashing around so if police protocol wasto take him to the hospital i cant argue that but he could of seriously injured a innocent hospital employee because of his state of mind and luckily he was restrained by the officers ....in my opinion this could of turned out much worse he was obviously trying to hurt someone therefore he should of been thrown in a rubber room or restraint chair injail until he came down from whatever he was on and examined by a nurse on the staff at jail and she if need be could send him to the hospital....he is lucky and owes the officers who were able to restrain him at the hospital because if not for them he could of seriously hurt someone and been wrestling for the pa. prison system ...i agree he should be held accountable and as for me saying the police acting poorly i meant the choice of bringing him to the hospital given his threats to hurt someone and him not being restrained before entering and given the opportunity to hurt a innocent employee... lucky for him the officers were able to get him on the ground and keep him there ..they must have a wrestling backround...all i can say is that they are lucky that is was not mark hall in this situation he would a scrambled out and hurt someone
Sponsored Links