Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 10-09-2005
Olympian

The Burk Blog 10/9

We had our first week of actual practice this past week. It went pretty well, about what I expected. We do a lot of drilling and technique early on to get back into the swing of things. But we also get in a fair share of live wrestling each day. Things are going well so far, and I just hope that we can stay healthy and continue to progress as a team. I'm kind of battling a weird injury right now, so it keeps me out of certain activities we do as a team. I can't run, so whenever they run or do sprints, I'm on the bike. I go back to the Dr. this week to see if I can get a shot to take the pain away, but hopefully they tell me I won't need a shot, and that the pain will go away on its own.

Some of the younger guys have a harder time adjusting to the practice, which is normal I would say. To me the main difference for them is wrestling on the mat. Some of them aren't used to be ridden for long periods of time, so they have problems getting away. But, so do some of us older guys, too. Also, some of the younger guys aren't used to having to be pushed everyday, all practice long. They will get there though. I think Duke is really enjoying himself, and he seems to be doing well. I am going to make it a point not to wrestle live with him too much right now, just because he needs to get used to other people and different styles. He still has some room to grow physically, which he is working on, and mentally. He just needs to remember that he belongs.

We open the season unoffically 3 weeks from this Wednesday, for wrestle offs. They are scheduled for Nov 2nd. Then we will go to the Stevens Pt open on Sat. the 12th. So, soon enough we will be competing and then the season will fly. So the next 3-4 weeks are vital to continue to build the base we have started. This will allow us to train through the season and peak at the right time. Coach Grant is very good at knowing when and how to peak us. Also, the next few weeks will be key in getting down to weight the right way, so you don't have to lose it all the last couple days. I might actually have to cut some weight this yr, which will be something I haven't really done since high school. But I'm looking forward to it, and looking forward to competing.

I'll check back in within the next week or so. Thanks again for reading, we really appreciate it.

~Danny~

"We're not handed tomorrow, so I live for today"

Last edited by admin; 10-09-2005 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-11-2005
Junior Varsity

Smile update thanks

duke and dan: Thanks for the updates on NIU wrestling. Please keep up the posts. Wrestling Dad (never quit never compromise)
Sponsored Links