Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Illinois is one of the top 3 wrestling states?

Home States- last season 2017-2018

NCAA Individual Champions (10)
4 - PA
1 - CA, MD, MN, NY, TX, NC

NCAA Individual Finalists (20)
6 - PA
2 - NJ, CA, MI
1 - IN, MD, MN, NY, NC, TX, WV, WY

NCAA All Americans (80)
15 - PA
11 - OH
8 - NJ
5 - CA, MI
4 - IN, NY, MN, OK
3 - IA, MO
2 - OR
1 - CT, FL, MD, TX, GA, NC, IL, SD, WA, WV, WY, Canada
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Turban View Post
But nobody is talking about the last few years. That success is undisputed. The entire discussion has been about this year and what seems to be on the horizon.
Fair enough but it seems kind of quick to say the sky is falling based on less than one season and based on some ranking of recruiting classes that may turn out to be way off. It is unfair to call for regime change without at least considering past success.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauden swain View Post

4 - PA

6 - PA
2 - NJ, CA, MI

NCAA All Americans (80)
15 - PA
11 - OH
8 - NJ
5 - CA, MI
4 - IN, NY, MN, OK
3 - IA, MO
2 - OR
I'll grant you that last year was an awful one for Illinois born collegians. But, in the recent past, teams of Illinois high schoolers have won several national freestyle, greco and folkstyle tournaments over teams from Pa., Ohio, California, Oklahoma, Iowa,etc. Would you put Michigan, California, New Jersey, Indiana, New York, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Iowa, Missouri and Oregon all ahead of Illinois? I would not.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Illinois as a whole usually only has 1-4 AAs any given year, and University of Illinois usually has 1-3 AAs any given year. This year will be status quo, and has been at least since I was in high school and then college 20 years ago
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:

4 - PA

6 - PA
2 - NJ, CA, MI

NCAA All Americans (80)
15 - PA
11 - OH
8 - NJ
5 - CA, MI
4 - IN, NY, MN, OK
3 - IA, MO
2 - OR

You seem to be playing devil's advocate here but it's inaccurate to cherry pick AA results in a down year. Still all-american totals aren't the only measure of success. Illinois was 3rd in the total amount of NCAA qualifiers last year with 27. Just 3 qualifiers behind Ohio and 6 more than NJ or CA.

Every year Illinois proves to be the top state for freestyle and greco and is undoubtedly a top 5 state for wrestling in folkstyle.

This year NJ will likely have more NCAA finalists than PA. Would you say they are a better wrestling state?
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Maybe I’m greedy and just want more but 1-3 AA isn’t satisfying enough when we fail to produce a podium finishing team. At the very least a top 5 would be nice. Year after year, and this years no exception it would seem Illinois can get 1-2 guys towards the top but this isn’t enough. It’s mentioned that it’s status quo which may be true but imagine Penn, Iowa, Minnesota saying it’s the status quo for them and not being in the hunt for a podium finish as a team. I hope that as fans we haven’t gotten to a point where we are satisfied with the results.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwrestling View Post
You seem to be playing devil's advocate here but it's inaccurate to cherry pick AA results in a down year. Still all-american totals aren't the only measure of success. Illinois was 3rd in the total amount of NCAA qualifiers last year with 27. Just 3 qualifiers behind Ohio and 6 more than NJ or CA.

Every year Illinois proves to be the top state for freestyle and greco and is undoubtedly a top 5 state for wrestling in folkstyle.

This year NJ will likely have more NCAA finalists than PA. Would you say they are a better wrestling state?
Yes I am playing devils advocate to some degree.

I too believe that Illinois high schools are a perennial top 3 state. Great teams and an abundance of accomplished individuals.

In regards to the international styles, Illinois is without peer. A few states rise with the tide on ocassion but none possess the staying power of Illiinois throughout the age groups.

Until college.
There is a disconnect. Illinois wrestlers don't seem to transition and enjoy similar success.
What are the numbers? Considering a valid metrics such as ncaa all-americans or ncaa champions, is Illinois top 3?

Not implying that Illinois isn't good by any means. Just questioning the hierarchy of success. There are more than a handful of guys from Illinois high schools that i was convinced would reach the top of the NCAA podium at least once but never did. One finally reached the low end of the podium his senior year. Bad luck? Maybe.

Lauden Swain
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Yes I am playing devils advocate to some degree.

I too believe that Illinois high schools are a perennial top 3 state. Great teams and an abundance of accomplished individuals.

In regards to the international styles, Illinois is without peer. A few states rise with the tide on ocassion but none possess the staying power of Illiinois throughout the age groups.

Until college.
There is a disconnect. Illinois wrestlers don't seem to transition and enjoy similar success.
What are the numbers? Considering a valid metrics such as ncaa all-americans or ncaa champions, is Illinois top 3?

Not implying that Illinois isn't good by any means. Just questioning the hierarchy of success. There are more than a handful of guys from Illinois high schools that i was convinced would reach the top of the NCAA podium at least once but never did. One finally reached the low end of the podium his senior year. Bad luck? Maybe.

Lauden Swain
Is it because Illinois wrestlers arenít as good on the mat as on their feet?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwm57 View Post
Is it because Illinois wrestlers arenít as good on the mat as on their feet?
First of all, I repeat that Illinois represents itself well in NCAA. I'm guessing that a proper ranking might be 5 -7 nationally

Yes bwn, I believe that is a major aspect.

I believe another to being burned out. IKWF starts before the high school season and ends after.
Practices during the week. Tournaments every weekend. Year after year. Some high schools have two-a-days throughout the season. Too much

Each coach at each level getting whatever he possibly can from the kid before he ages out to the next level?

Lauden Swain
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog141 View Post
From most of your reply's I read, it seems to me that you think we are headed in the right direction? Ö

Or maybe I'm way wrong and things are actually going well and I'm just a "troll"...idk you tell me..
Yes. Of course you're a troll. That's pretty bloody obvious. Let me tell you how I know. This is a two parter, so pay attention, and perhaps you'll learn how to troll more discretely in the future.

PART ONE

Hef hit it out of the ballpark with his recent additions to the ILLINI and IRTC coaching staffs. Poeta, IMAR and Medlin. IMAR has more charisma in his tattoo than all of the Iowa assistant coaches. Poeta has more personality than all of the Northwestern staff combined. Have they taught Howe to speak English yet?

Medlin has an IQ and a wrestling IQ that matches or exceeds any coaching staff in the country. By himself. Fans of the ILLINI and fans of ILLINOIS wrestling absolutely love this staff. The only addition I would suggest is to create a position called Volunteer Assistant Comedian and fill that with Chris Rock. That gets us to part two, which jay31 hinted at in an earlier post.

PART TWO

I'm going to use some images to help you figure out what Part Two has to deal with. In these images, you will find some subtle clues. Follow those subtle clues to solve the mystery. Here's the first one:

Did you catch that? Here's another clue:

Am I being too subtle? Let's try one more:

What we have here is an absolutely brilliant staff, and they just got started. Even if you were the biggest ***hole ILLINI fan in the world, you would afford these coaches a chance to recruit the state and the country. That's how I know you're a troll. An obvious troll at that.

The fact that we have trolls on the board is a good thing. It's because they are scared of what the ILLINI are building. Hef has put together a great staff, and the IRTC is landing multiple spots in the World Cup roster.

GO ILLINI!!!

P.S. Thanks to the people who messaged me about the team! What I'm interested in right now is the health of the guys as they get ready for the Big Dance. I would just note that I watched the Barone-Nolf match multiple times, and my layman's guess (or should that read "hope") would be that he would be able to be ready for the Big Ten Tournament. I do believe now that Nolf is a huge ******* ****.
Sponsored Links