Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-11-2019
ChiefIllini1 ChiefIllini1 is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,372
The ILLINI roster is filled with bad-***es, who have gone out of their way to help the team over individual concerns. I'm talking about Carver James getting that third-period takedown over a Top Eight foe to reduce bonus, or Christian Kanzler doing the same against a Top Three opponent.

It would be easy to give up. Put your head on the mat. They won't.

Then, there's Pio, Duncan, Carr, Gunther and Parker coming back to the mat as soon as the Doctor said, "Well, maybe...." Anybody could see that Parker wasn't himself when he gutted out the win over Caffey. He didn't need to do that for himself; he helped the team win a dual.

How much easier would it have been for him to blow off the duals with MSU, Nebraska and Ohio State, and instead, go to the Loras Open and get five wins by pinfall? It would have helped his seed, but it would have let down his teammates.

And Gunther, Duncan, Pio and Carr could've done the same; take the easy way out. Or, they could've taken the annual "Vincenzo Joseph Extended Spring Break" from wrestling. But that doesn't help a team that has to face other squads ranked

Quote:
2,4,5,6,7,10 [and] ... 1 and 9....
They've got a real team thing going even as they've faced tough odds. I'm just a fan, but I'm proud of them, and I appreciate it when a stud like Dylan Duncan--not at 100%--still takes the mat for the ORANGE AND BLUE.

WAR ILLINI!!!

P.S. The quote is from jay31, who did the research.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-11-2019
dadudaman4 dadudaman4 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
And maybe you're not. An alumni. I will stipulate that you are cynical.

Barone loses by a couple of points to Sorenson. Barone needs to score more points! Barone scores 15 points in a win on the road. Barone's out of shape!

Duncan got third in the Big Ten last year as a redshirt freshman. We know he is quality from his high school folkstyle and freestyle career. Losing to Lantz, who is a redshirt senior, who is in his fourth year wrestling varsity duals for Wisconsin, is still a red flag because we know that Duncan can be a beast. What we don't know is if Dylan is ill, injured or having issues making weight. Those are the only possibilities in my mind, and whichever it is, I appreciate that he's going out there for the team. No ducking for his own seed, he's trying to help the ILLINI win even when he's not 100%.

Andre needs to unleash his beautiful offense in the first period (and every period after that). This is his last year; he's got two duals to go. Let it flow. Don't stop it.

In another thread, a sad troll (with nothing better to do) questions what effect the Poeta/IMAR tandem are having. First, you can watch the coaching videos (Coach's Chat) with Poeta and see incredible enthusiasm. We all know how he worked with Emery Parker through the years and how that's turned out.

As for IMAR, he's got the latest Coach's Chat video out. I'd link to it, but I'm on my phone and haven't watched it yet. But if you watch Barone right now, you see the unmistakable IMAR influence. The ties, the mannerisms, the takedowns, it is as obvious as the poor job your troll parents did raising you. (That's for the trolls, not the ILLINI fans).

Moreover, IMAR has been on staff for less than a year; Poeta's been on staff for less than two!

Yet, recruiting is already seeing some major blue chip results. I already mentioned development, which you can see in the ILLINI lineup. But in recruiting, ILLINOIS has amazing kids signed up. Another example of that recently hit the front page of themat.com yesterday.

D.J. "The Future" Shannon travelled across the globe to win Gold at a Junior international tournament. Kids like that want to wrestle the beautiful game like Poeta; they want to be like IMAR. Anybody who questions that, in my mind, is an obvious troll.

GO ILLINI!!!
Chief, as everyone on this board knows, you are always right. All is well in Illini land. There are no problems, ever. By the way, I suggest you read my posts more carefully before you comment about them. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-11-2019
PapaBearSLIM's Avatar
PapaBearSLIM PapaBearSLIM is offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wakanda
Posts: 5,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
Another thing about James bonus points which shouldve been enough to win the dual—in the previous duals this year there have only been three other matches with bonus points for Illini—Carr tech against Ohio State, Parker MD against Michigan, and Duncan fall against NIU.
Are you saying the Illini have only had bonus in 4 dual matches this year? Everything isn't rosy but that sounds far fetched.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-11-2019
ChiefIllini1 ChiefIllini1 is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,372
I'm gonna stop you right there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
Chief, as everyone on this board knows, you are always right. All is well in Illini land.
After the wedding, my wife wanted the dj to play Prince and Janet Jackson and other songs that I had never heard of. I insisted that the dj play two songs: The Star Spangled Banner and the ILLINOIS Four-in-One Fight Song. If anybody wanted more, he was instructed to repeat those two songs.

On another note, I won't have a Northwestern Preview up until tomorrow night. If anybody wants to get started, I'll add to theirs.

Finally, you haven't been too bad, daddyman. My posts weren't in response to you. Well, except this one. Cheers and ...

GO ILLINI!!!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-11-2019
626386 626386 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
The ILLINI roster is filled with bad-***es, who have gone out of their way to help the team over individual concerns. I'm talking about Carver James getting that third-period takedown over a Top Eight foe to reduce bonus, or Christian Kanzler doing the same against a Top Three opponent.

It would be easy to give up. Put your head on the mat. They won't.

Then, there's Pio, Duncan, Carr, Gunther and Parker coming back to the mat as soon as the Doctor said, "Well, maybe...." Anybody could see that Parker wasn't himself when he gutted out the win over Caffey. He didn't need to do that for himself; he helped the team win a dual.

How much easier would it have been for him to blow off the duals with MSU, Nebraska and Ohio State, and instead, go to the Loras Open and get five wins by pinfall? It would have helped his seed, but it would have let down his teammates.

And Gunther, Duncan, Pio and Carr could've done the same; take the easy way out. Or, they could've taken the annual "Vincenzo Joseph Extended Spring Break" from wrestling. But that doesn't help a team that has to face other squads ranked



They've got a real team thing going even as they've faced tough odds. I'm just a fan, but I'm proud of them, and I appreciate it when a stud like Dylan Duncan--not at 100%--still takes the mat for the ORANGE AND BLUE.

WAR ILLINI!!!

P.S. The quote is from jay31, who did the research.
Ok Chief, you have given us the ever optimistic view of the dual and team, so now I will give you my cynical/realist view. Pio at 125 wins against the backup and if he could have finished the way he started it would have been bonus points and a dual victory. According to wrestlestat ( who you think hated the Illini) had Duncan winning 9-4. If Duncan is injured as you say then that just shows the lack of talent behind him. I have nothing bad to say about Carr at 141, he keeps beating top 10 guys. I will put 149,197, and heavy all together in the glaring lack of depth on this current roster. Barone seemed to run out of gas against another backup, but overall he has been a bright spot. Gunther at 165 probably does not qualify for the NCAA'S. James looked good but again against a backup. Parker beats the guys he is supposed to but I do not believe he has a top 10 win this year. Hopefully he catches fire like last season. Overall I only see 4-5 qualifiers this year. Hopefully I am wrong but I am a realist.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-11-2019
ChiefIllini1 ChiefIllini1 is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by 626386 View Post
Ok Chief, you have given us the ever optimistic view of the dual and team, so now I will give you my cynical/realist view. Pio at 125 wins against the backup and if he could have finished the way he started it would have been bonus points and a dual victory. According to wrestlestat ( who you think hated the Illini) had Duncan winning 9-4. If Duncan is injured as you say then that just shows the lack of talent behind him. I have nothing bad to say about Carr at 141, he keeps beating top 10 guys. I will put 149,197, and heavy all together in the glaring lack of depth on this current roster. Barone seemed to run out of gas against another backup, but overall he has been a bright spot. Gunther at 165 probably does not qualify for the NCAA'S. James looked good but again against a backup. Parker beats the guys he is supposed to but I do not believe he has a top 10 win this year. Hopefully he catches fire like last season. Overall I only see 4-5 qualifiers this year. Hopefully I am wrong but I am a realist.
Wrong!

By the way the secret message that followed the "white rabbit" was in the last, far right line of numbers and letters on the picture at the top of the original post in this thread. Spelled out vertically in white letters was the word "rabbit." What followed that was the secret message, also vertical, which read, "F the badgers."

I think the ILLINI qualify eight. The individuals on this team will have crazy-high RPIs. If there are any of those eight who fail to nail down one of the conference's allotments at his weight, he'll get pulled in with a wild card. The RPIs will be too good to ignore.

GO ILLINI!!!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-11-2019
Kona Kona is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 27
Purely observational and only from three meets watched on my part, but...the Illini seem fairly good at short offense. If they can defend the initial shot/takedown attempt they seem to have the ability to score. This is promising and fun to watch. They do seem to lack in being the aggressor early in the first period and appear to struggle finishing the close ones. Against Ohio State there were a couple matches that Illinois just seemed a click behind. Obviously Martin is at the top, but his match with Parker he just seemed a bit more crisp. James is another one that comes to mind againstOhio. In my opinion he outwrestled his opponent, just seemed a step behind in finishing his shots. I don’t have the answer, I’ll always be a homer and hope they turn it up when it counts.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-11-2019
626386 626386 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
Wrong!

By the way the secret message that followed the "white rabbit" was in the last, far right line of numbers and letters on the picture at the top of the original post in this thread. Spelled out vertically in white letters was the word "rabbit." What followed that was the secret message, also vertical, which read, "F the badgers."

I think the ILLINI qualify eight. The individuals on this team will have crazy-high RPIs. If there are any of those eight who fail to nail down one of the conference's allotments at his weight, he'll get pulled in with a wild card. The RPIs will be too good to ignore.

GO ILLINI!!!
You dive much deeper into it than I do, so in this case I hope you are right and I am wrong
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-11-2019
ChiefIllini1 ChiefIllini1 is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona View Post
Purely observational and only from three meets watched on my part, but...the Illini seem fairly good at short offense. If they can defend the initial shot/takedown attempt they seem to have the ability to score. This is promising and fun to watch. They do seem to lack in being the aggressor early in the first period and appear to struggle finishing the close ones. Against Ohio State there were a couple matches that Illinois just seemed a click behind. Obviously Martin is at the top, but his match with Parker he just seemed a bit more crisp. James is another one that comes to mind againstOhio. In my opinion he outwrestled his opponent, just seemed a step behind in finishing his shots. I don’t have the answer, I’ll always be a homer and hope they turn it up when it counts.
That's actual wrestling discussion and is forbidden on this site. I kid! Overall, I'd say the team is more aggresive than in the past. Having such a strong schedule does dampen that a bit, but as I've indicated before I've never seen so many unranked wrestlers getting takedowns on highly ranked wrestlers in the third period. It probably relates to individual moxie.

That there has been less offense in your eyes during first periods could relate to guys not yet trusting their fitness. (I had a somewhat similar problem in college, but my root cause (laziness) is different frim theirs (coming back from injury or illness)).

Thanks for the wrestling discussion!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-11-2019
Kona Kona is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 27
I like your assessment of questioning ones fitness. Reality is though once the whistle blows the commitment has been made to compete. The question remains how does Illinois develop a team that is willing to commit for 7+ minutes and not 4? I don’t see the conditioning issue others comment on. I don’t see guys struggling to get off the mat because they are tired. They have the talent, they have the skill, and from an outside observer they lack the confidence to bang with the elites.

The schedule poses problems for everyone, without a doubt. I’m willing to bet that we both agree we want to see Illinois being favored and considered to be at the top, but how? I don’t know but I hope it’s figured out in the next couple of seasons. Records like this won’t attract high level recruits.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.