Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Non-Wrestling > Non-Wrestling Talk

Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

Wag the Dog

Does anyone remember the 1997 movie Wag the Dog?
Starring Robert DeNiro, Dustin Hoffman, Dennis Leary, Ann Heche, Woody Harrelson, the immortal Willie Nelson and a small part for an up and coming Kirsten Dunst with a cameo by James Belushi as himself.

I won't bore you with the particulars, I will assume most of you have seen it or know the plot.

I have found myself wondering in the recent months, what would be Trumps "Wag the Dog" - would it be North Korea, Iran, Mexico? Now it seems it will be Syria and Turkey.
Problem is, this won't be a made up war fought in a movie studio against Albania, it will be a real crisis, fought with real guns and real bullets with real casualties "on both sides, on both sides".

This is another in a long list of Trumps made up crises that he hope's to "solve" (Nobel Peace Prize?);
- The Mexican "invasion" and subsequent wall fiasco, that Trump has since taken funds from the military to pay for.
- the tariffs which are working out great..... if you're banking on a collapse of the economy.
- North Korea, where Trumps love affair with Kim has blinded his judgment and allowed him to further his advancement of their nuclear ballistic missile program.
- The ongoing mass shooting epidemic, that Trump has said on multiple occasions that he would do something about. He just forgot to mention that he would work on it only until he gets a call from the NRA telling him to stop. (I do not want to beat that horse here.....)
- The "act of war" committed by "Iranian backed" rebels on the Saudi oil refineries, that Trump has committed US troops to. Because the Saudis don't have a military of their own? They probably don't have enough money to pay for their own.......
And on, and on, and on......

- Now Syria/Turkey, where Trump pulls out the US troops, (maybe) knowing full well that will mean free reign for Turkish troops to move in and destroy the Kurds, the only regional ally we have had to fight ISIS (which they are, right now).
But, you say, Trump promised to destroy the Turks (economy) if they attack.

I wonder, does he know that he has a Trump Tower in Istanbul?
He is probably just figuring that the US troops will just stay there while they are fighting the war. "Mo' Money, Mo' Money, Mo' Money"

Trump is so obsessed with being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize that he is creating (or enabling) crisis after crisis with the hope of solving one of them so he can win that award and be immortalized.
The problem is, he has already done enough to be immortalized, he will go down in history as the single worst President in US history.

No one is happier with that than George W. Bush.

Last edited by Crystal Clearly; 1 Week Ago at 03:59 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago
Olympian

You will have to decide what you think is his "wag the dog" issue is...I disagree on almost all of what you said, except Syria. Trump made a bad decision pulling out without a plan for long term peace. I agree with him that we need to get out of the Middle East, but he should have learned from Obama's Iraq exit and the rise of ISIS. If I heard correctly, the Kurds are holding 11,000 ISIS fighters. If they just get fed up and release them, the Middle East could get lit on fire all over again. In that case we should sell guns to both/all sides and see if they get tired of killing each other...it might be a bad idea, but it's worth a shot...nothing else has worked.
Old 3 Days Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAL View Post
it's worth a shot...nothing else has worked.
You should consider "not posting" when about to troll people and sites - see above.