Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted By Calofowrestling:
Best kid I have watched in person this year is Foca

Best wrestler I have seen in the country is Greg Kerkvliet. Based off of Kerkviet's past wins and results this is hard to debate.

Regarding Foca, people forget that Alex Cramer teched Foca this summer in freestyle. Where does this place Cramer? This is no disrespect to Foca but results are results. There is no debate that Foca is a phenominal wrestler and definitely a top 10 wrestler in the country at his weight.

In Illinois, I would say Alex Cramer, Peter Christiensen and Abe Assad are the top three kids I have seen wrestle this year.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwrestler View Post
Best wrestler I have seen in the country is Greg Kerkvliet. Based off of Kerkviet's past wins and results this is hard to debate.

Regarding Foca, people forget that Alex Cramer teched Foca this summer in freestyle. Where does this place Cramer? This is no disrespect to Foca but results are results. There is no debate that Foca is a phenominal wrestler and definitely a top 10 wrestler in the country at his weight.

In Illinois, I would say Alex Cramer, Peter Christiensen and Abe Assad are the top three kids I have seen wrestle this year.
I haven't watched Kerkvliet in person so he wasn't considered by me.Hes probably the talent with the biggest upside.As far as Cramer he's really good .Me picking Foca was based on his folkstyle skills this season and I live 25min from Bergen so I have seen him in person.Foca is tough on top which doesn't show in freestyle.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted By: calotofwrestling

I haven't watched Kerkvliet in person so he wasn't considered by me.Hes probably the talent with the biggest upside.As far as Cramer he's really good .Me picking Foca was based on his folkstyle skills this season and I live 25min from Bergen so I have seen him in person.Foca is tough on top which doesn't show in freestyle.
Like I stated before, Foca is definitely a top 5-10 wrestler in the country at his weight. Foca has been beaten in the off-season and still hasn't won a state folksyle title in New Jersey. This said, he is having an excellent senior season and should win his first state title this year.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Quote:
Originally Posted by calotofwrestling View Post
Kirkvliet (Simley, MN) has been out the entire season so far with an injury.

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted By: mckbln
Kirkvliet (Simley, MN) has been out the entire season so far with an injury.
I thought when Greg Kirkvliet hurt his knee and he was already committed to Ohio State he would do what Steve Congenie did his Senior year. Congenie was told by Cornell to sit out his Senior year because they knew it did not matter. This said, Kirkvliet has been training and has gone to the OTC several times since his injury to train. He is now ready to return to finish his senior year at Simley. He is a 3x MN State Champ and a Cadet World Champ. Last year when he was wrestling at 220lbs for Simley he bumped up to wrestle Gable Stevenson who weighed 35-40lbs heavier and he lost 3-2. At the high school level he is physically and athletically the most talented kid I have seen wrestle since Mark Hall.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/01/1...mpression=true
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
I thought when Greg Kirkvliet hurt his knee and he was already committed to Ohio State he would do what Steve Congenie did his Senior year. Congenie was told by Cornell to sit out his Senior year because they knew it did not matter. This said, Kirkvliet has been training and has gone to the OTC several times since his injury to train. He is now ready to return to finish his senior year at Simley. He is a 3x MN State Champ and a Cadet World Champ. Last year when he was wrestling at 220lbs for Simley he bumped up to wrestle Gable Stevenson who weighed 35-40lbs heavier and he lost 3-2. At the high school level he is physically and athletically the most talented kid I have seen wrestle since Mark Hall.

I think Kerkvliet is very good and will be a great D1 wrestler, but most who saw the "close" match with Steveson last year know the results were only close because Gable allowed them to be. When he needed an escape and a takedown, he got them effortlessly. The 2 are long time training partners who playfully hyped the match for their own entertainment.

With that being said, Kerkvliet has legitimate talent and credentials and will immediately add to the young group of unprecedented heavyweight talent in D1. It's going to be a fun weight class to watch for the next 4-6 years at least.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Quote:

I'm glad to hear he will be back to finish the season. I got to watch him wrestle last year at The Clash. A very athletic and technically sound upper weight. Huge gain for Ohio St.

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Sponsored Links