Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 5 Days Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainefan View Post
Same here. Will probably see you in Champaign and then at team state.
Please feel free to come sit by me. This year. While it's still safe.

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Old 5 Days Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacohenz View Post
I officiated for 20 years, in the video loss of control is highly debatable but the head official had a good view. Why say anything with the lead he had, it was a decision either way. Obviously dont know what Hayden said, but for me it would have to be clear and an insult to my officiating to warrant a point. His flex was no different than what I saw during the season, knowing that he already took 1 point away, it wasn't enough to cause Hayden to miss his next meet.

I had a situation when officiating a CSL JV conference tournament the week before regionals. During a Maine East match, the Maine East kid got a cradle for a 3 count for which he was awarded 2 points. He lost 7-4. Emiliano started yelling at me that it was a 3 point near fall. I calmly walked over to him and said, is missing regionals really worth arguing for a 2 point jv loss instead of 3? He agreed, shook my hand and that was it.
I mentioned the lead he had for the same reason you mentioned that a 2 point loss didn't matter as anymore than a 3point loss. I don't understand why the wrestler or parent would react so strongly to winning 7-2 instead of 7-1. Not much reason to question or express displeasure with the call if it didn't make an impact in the match as a whole.
Old 4 Days Ago
Varsity

4X state champ in Illinois nope! Not even close. As for the call, tough to tell but who cares 7-1 or 7-2 victory.

Hopefully, he and his coaches/dad will learn from this as they all move forward.

Taking it to the courts seems very extream. I get he will not be able to wrestle at state, but what about learning a life lesson.

Do awards and accomplishment trump character and sportsmanship when you're 16 years old? This is where parents and coaches come in and lead.

I never wrestled, but when I was 8th grade I scored the eventual winning goal in a big tournament. I ran by the opponents' parents and made a very rude and disrespectful gesture. The next thing I knew my dad dragging my tail to the car and learning a life lesson. That single moment has stayed with me and has made a better father, friend, and coach.

2 days!
Old 4 Days Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
According to a couple WI guys this is the kids MO and the apple didn't fall far from the tree. That was dad that was almost ejected and supposedly the parents mf'd the refs at the tail of all of that. Again repeating that though most of us see no harm in the flex at the end, the kid has to know better especially after the 1st UC and the fact that he was hit for a costly UC for flexing last season. He used to be on the team he flexed on and cost them a chance at team finals last year with a UC for flexing.

1st UC ok we get it ref and you showed him. 2nd UC....
I don't know the kid or the family and intentionally posted the video without comment.

Now that a few others have weighed in, I'll drop my $.02.

If I had been on the whistle, the only time I would have thought about dropping a UNS on the kid was when he snapped/yelled at me to "blow the whistle" after false starting on the restart with 0:20 left. I didn't like any of the sequences after the horn, but an athlete has to understand their situation and not burn down their own house over any injustice, perceived or not.
Old 3 Days Ago
Junior Varsity

This kid had a history. I believe the ref displayed restraint. The wrestler is not the one to question a call this call. The flex and grunt at the end appears to be directed at the fans. This kid learned a lesson that the rules don't apply to him and there is know consequence for his actions.
Sponsored Links