Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Non-Wrestling > Non-Wrestling Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #311  
Old 11-30-2019
Blonjuan44's Avatar
Blonjuan44 Blonjuan44 is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
Why don't you guys get a room. You can take your turns with Mal there.
I used to just ignore Comrade Mal (Vooruzhonnije Síly Rossíyskoj Federátsii)...
then I learned how damaging troll mis-information is. Trolls mis-information outnumber basic facts 4 to 1 on the internet. Just look at the climate change information vs mis-information.

This site below is part of the NY Times...

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-troll-tweets/

...but you are right, going back to just ignoring it, bigger fish to fry.
__________________
There are two guys in that zebra costume! Very funny...

Last edited by Blonjuan44; 11-30-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 12-05-2019
ChiefIllini1 ChiefIllini1 is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,894
Wow. This is going to be interesting. My company just started requiring "Active Shooter Training." You have to watch a video and then take a test. I'm going to watch that video just to see what they're telling people to do.

I bet people all over the country are having to do this, all because a few folks (and one blood-thirsty organization) like to cos-play.


Of course, people dying because of cos-play is much more important. But now there are people being inconvenienced because of cos-play. How will that play out?

.
Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old 12-09-2019
mckbln's Avatar
mckbln mckbln is offline
Sergeant Major
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: River Forest, IL
Posts: 10,072
Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
Wow. This is going to be interesting. My company just started requiring "Active Shooter Training." You have to watch a video and then take a test. I'm going to watch that video just to see what they're telling people to do.

I bet people all over the country are having to do this, all because a few folks (and one blood-thirsty organization) like to cos-play.


Of course, people dying because of cos-play is much more important. But now there are people being inconvenienced because of cos-play. How will that play out?

.
Ah yes, the great "Cos-play" oversimplification. People are dying because of bad people, not "cos-play", and make no mistake, you will never, EVER be able to disarm this country despite your absurd desire to do so. You really don't have a clue what the 2nd Amendment is all about, do you? It's not about being "inconvenienced", it's about infringement of a basic right!! Twice in my life being armed prevented me the first time, and my family the second time from harm. Nope, just barking from your little corner of ire and irritation. Oh yea, you hear about all the people killed with a fully automatic rifle in...JAPAN last week?
__________________



"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."

Last edited by mckbln; 12-10-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 12-19-2019
Blonjuan44's Avatar
Blonjuan44 Blonjuan44 is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbln View Post
Ah yes, the great "Cos-play" oversimplification. People are dying because of bad people, not "cos-play", and make no mistake, you will never, EVER be able to disarm this country despite your absurd desire to do so. You really don't have a clue what the 2nd Amendment is all about, do you? It's not about being "inconvenienced", it's about infringement of a basic right!! Twice in my life being armed prevented me the first time, and my family the second time from harm. Nope, just barking from your little corner of ire and irritation. Oh yea, you hear about all the people killed with a fully automatic rifle in...JAPAN last week?
We don't even go after weapons of known felons that apply for concealed carry permits like the guy who killed 6 people in Aurora this year, so jumping to " disarm this country" is great exaggeration and the Japan thing is total cherry picking. Our country is unique in this weapons regard, if we need them to protect ourselves from our own country we need equal weapon access, we need to legally own blackhawk helicopters and large scale weapons. Otherwise that is a mute argument. I am not against guns, just bad arguments. After all these mass shooting, very little has changed so I am not sure why pro-gun people are so paranoid their guns being taken away. Everybody knows that 25% of the old men over 70 will barricade themselves in their house and have 5 years worth of ammunition if people came for their guns, and shoot anybody that comes for them. That is the American way. I have no problem with that, keep America crazy.
__________________
There are two guys in that zebra costume! Very funny...
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 12-19-2019
Crystal Clearly Crystal Clearly is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Outside your house, right now
Posts: 824
Does anyone not see the correlation between the (steadily increasing) loosening of gun laws through the last 15-20 years and the exponential increase in gun violence, specifically mass shootings?

Are you gun nuts really going to say that it is a coincidence?

I am not against guns.
I am not against people owning guns.
I am not against concealed carry.
I am a gun owner.

I AM against ANYONE being able to get a gun.
I AM against ANYONE being able to get a gun without a REAL background check.
I AM against ANYONE being able to get a gun at a gun show without ANY (or any REAL) background check.
I AM against the gun lobby killing ANY bill or proposal, involving background checks or red flag laws etc., that is brought forth, by ANY politician after an act of gun violence or mass shooting.
I AM against the gun lobby buying politicians who loosen the gun laws to the point where ANYONE can buy a half-made rifle and assemble it themselves, without ANY checks, ANY evaluation of their mental state, ANY evaluation of their criminal history or ANY REAL record of that purchase.

Guns are a REAL threat - yes, the criminals and gangs have them - yes, they will always get their guns illegally - no, they will not turn them in if there were any kind of "buyback" (there never will be) - but the threat with guns is not (necessarily) the guns themselves, it is the person who values profit over safety, money over civility, it is the person who legally buys guns then sells them, be it across the country, where gun laws may be loosest or at the gun show, where there is no real record of the transaction. The "dealer" or half-made-receiver "manufacturer" who justifies his lack of conscience saying 'I cannot control what the gun does after I sell it'. Those people, and the politicians, are the threat because they value personal wealth over public health.

Mack will come on spinning his yarns about how guns have saved him, or someone he knows, Mal will come on with a few links to stories about how a good guy with a gun stopped a mass shooting or a robber and that is great, those are good stories, that is what concealed carry is supposed to do.
But you cannot argue that the number of instances of gun violence and, specifically mass shootings have not gone up exponentially with the progressive loosening (or elimination) of gun laws across the country.

You cannot argue that the loosening of gun laws has made this country safer.
You cannot argue that more guns are making us safer.
You cannot argue that someone manufacturing a half-made gun for sale to ANYONE with a drill to "finish" the manufacturing process, regardless of their mental state is a good thing.
You cannot argue that the gun lobby is concerned about public saftey.
You cannot argue that the gun lobby is not concerned about their profits.

This is not a 2nd Amendment argument.
Both sides read that the way they want to see it and interpret the words, and phrases, and commas as they see fit to help their position and reinforce their point.

I am not against guns.
I am a gun owner.
Reply With Quote
  #316  
Old 12-20-2019
Blonjuan44's Avatar
Blonjuan44 Blonjuan44 is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,733
If all gun owners were like mckbln there would not be a problem. A minimum amount of training and insurance should be required. You can get a free gun with a mattress purchase. Illinois needs to go after Indiana in a more aggressive way for gun dumping. We have already accepted the violence, its going to stay like it is or get worse. We are used to it.
__________________
There are two guys in that zebra costume! Very funny...
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old 12-21-2019
MAL MAL is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clearly View Post
Does anyone not see the correlation between the (steadily increasing) loosening of gun laws through the last 15-20 years and the exponential increase in gun violence, specifically mass shootings?

Are you gun nuts really going to say that it is a coincidence?

I am not against guns.
I am not against people owning guns.
I am not against concealed carry.
I am a gun owner.

I AM against ANYONE being able to get a gun.
I AM against ANYONE being able to get a gun without a REAL background check.
I AM against ANYONE being able to get a gun at a gun show without ANY (or any REAL) background check.
I AM against the gun lobby killing ANY bill or proposal, involving background checks or red flag laws etc., that is brought forth, by ANY politician after an act of gun violence or mass shooting.
I AM against the gun lobby buying politicians who loosen the gun laws to the point where ANYONE can buy a half-made rifle and assemble it themselves, without ANY checks, ANY evaluation of their mental state, ANY evaluation of their criminal history or ANY REAL record of that purchase.

Guns are a REAL threat - yes, the criminals and gangs have them - yes, they will always get their guns illegally - no, they will not turn them in if there were any kind of "buyback" (there never will be) - but the threat with guns is not (necessarily) the guns themselves, it is the person who values profit over safety, money over civility, it is the person who legally buys guns then sells them, be it across the country, where gun laws may be loosest or at the gun show, where there is no real record of the transaction. The "dealer" or half-made-receiver "manufacturer" who justifies his lack of conscience saying 'I cannot control what the gun does after I sell it'. Those people, and the politicians, are the threat because they value personal wealth over public health.

Mack will come on spinning his yarns about how guns have saved him, or someone he knows, Mal will come on with a few links to stories about how a good guy with a gun stopped a mass shooting or a robber and that is great, those are good stories, that is what concealed carry is supposed to do.
But you cannot argue that the number of instances of gun violence and, specifically mass shootings have not gone up exponentially with the progressive loosening (or elimination) of gun laws across the country.

You cannot argue that the loosening of gun laws has made this country safer.
You cannot argue that more guns are making us safer.
You cannot argue that someone manufacturing a half-made gun for sale to ANYONE with a drill to "finish" the manufacturing process, regardless of their mental state is a good thing.
You cannot argue that the gun lobby is concerned about public saftey.
You cannot argue that the gun lobby is not concerned about their profits.

This is not a 2nd Amendment argument.
Both sides read that the way they want to see it and interpret the words, and phrases, and commas as they see fit to help their position and reinforce their point.

I am not against guns.
I am a gun owner.
I can argue just about everything you said, and I already have many times.

When you eat too much do you blame the spoon?

I am no behavioral scientist, but I am going to play one on Illinois Matmen. There are things that we can do as a society that affect human behavior. We issue speeding tickets keep most people within a reasonable speed. We put up cameras to keep most people from committing crime. We tax the hell out of cigarettes to get people to quit...but some people still do those things. If we wanted to get more people to stop doing those things we could double the fine for speeding...put up more cameras...raise the tax on cigarettes.

Now the question is what could we do to reduce gun crime that will mostly just affect the gun criminals themselves? Stop and frisk...camera on every corner...death penalty...GPS monitoring...structure welfare so the father is back in the home...teach the concept of heaven and hell. There is something that will work for each individual, but it is not the same answer for everybody. The solution is to focus on the criminal, not the gun.
Reply With Quote
  #318  
Old 12-21-2019
Blonjuan44's Avatar
Blonjuan44 Blonjuan44 is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAL View Post
I can argue just about everything you said, and I already have many times.

When you eat too much do you blame the spoon?

I am no behavioral scientist, but I am going to play one on Illinois Matmen. There are things that we can do as a society that affect human behavior. We issue speeding tickets keep most people within a reasonable speed. We put up cameras to keep most people from committing crime. We tax the hell out of cigarettes to get people to quit...but some people still do those things. If we wanted to get more people to stop doing those things we could double the fine for speeding...put up more cameras...raise the tax on cigarettes.

Now the question is what could we do to reduce gun crime that will mostly just affect the gun criminals themselves? Stop and frisk...camera on every corner...death penalty...GPS monitoring...structure welfare so the father is back in the home...teach the concept of heaven and hell. There is something that will work for each individual, but it is not the same answer for everybody. The solution is to focus on the criminal, not the gun.
Why experiment? Just do what works elsewhere. The US is only the 15th on the list of countries that hunt, these other countries have figured it out. Or lean into it and lets get really crazy, we are on our way. Lots of stampedes this year when a car backfires etc. We simply like to shoot each other and accept mass shootings for the price of freedom. Get used to it. This BS that we have to cure all mental illness to fix the gun problem is a bad joke. Making the current gun owners go get the guns from the people they know have them and shouldn't would be a start. Like the Aurora IL shooter this year.
__________________
There are two guys in that zebra costume! Very funny...
Reply With Quote
  #319  
Old 12-21-2019
MAL MAL is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
Why experiment? Just do what works elsewhere. The US is only the 15th on the list of countries that hunt, these other countries have figured it out. Or lean into it and lets get really crazy, we are on our way. Lots of stampedes this year when a car backfires etc. We simply like to shoot each other and accept mass shootings for the price of freedom. Get used to it. This BS that we have to cure all mental illness to fix the gun problem is a bad joke. Making the current gun owners go get the guns from the people they know have them and shouldn't would be a start. Like the Aurora IL shooter this year.
Hunting is not a constitutionally protected right...they could legally ban hunting. Gun ownership is protected by the constitution. So shut up about hunting the second amendment has nothing to do with hunting.

The rest of the world has more violent crime that the US does. I did not even mention mental illness...you don't have to cure mental illness if you can affect the behavior of the mentally ill. Even a mentally ill person knows not to touch a hot stove because it hurts. Violent crime should be like a hot stove that should never be touched...there are rules that can basically achieve that goal. I only mentioned proven solutions that have worked in the past and present.

Why will you never tell us what you claim has worked in the rest of the world?
Reply With Quote
  #320  
Old 12-21-2019
HuffHall HuffHall is offline
Stay off the head
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAL View Post
Hunting is not a constitutionally protected right...they could legally ban hunting. Gun ownership is protected by the constitution. So shut up about hunting the second amendment has nothing to do with hunting.

The rest of the world has more violent crime that the US does. I did not even mention mental illness...you don't have to cure mental illness if you can affect the behavior of the mentally ill. Even a mentally ill person knows not to touch a hot stove because it hurts. Violent crime should be like a hot stove that should never be touched...there are rules that can basically achieve that goal. I only mentioned proven solutions that have worked in the past and present.

Why will you never tell us what you claim has worked in the rest of the world?
Where's your proof? Just more nonsense and outright lies, you're a clown
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.