Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Non-Wrestling > Non-Wrestling Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #331  
Old 12-28-2019
mckbln's Avatar
mckbln mckbln is offline
Sergeant Major
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: River Forest, IL
Posts: 10,072
Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/22/u...tatistics.html

You always just make stuff up. True - America is relatively safe, and the trend is toward becoming safer. But crime goes down in countries with tight gun controls also. And the mass shooting can increase within an overall downward murder trend, that really doesn't help you if you are shot. The only statistical link between legal gun ownership and shootings, is the more spouses end up shot. You are an expert, go stop the illegal gun sales.

You are saying gun violence and mass shootings are not a problem, and that the United States is not statistically worse than other first world countries. So I wonder why the news even covers such typical events?

...at the Route 91 Harvest Country music festival on the Las Vegas Strip in Nevada. 1 gunman killed 58 people and wounded 413, with the ensuing panic bringing the injury total to 869. - Just one of many now common events.

according to you, that is a sign things are getting better.

I don't have a problem with guns, but I don't share you view on the direction of the issue. We need gun experts like you to solve the problem since you are such experts. We generally just hear we need to fix all mental illness - that will never happen. The arrow appears to be indicating mass shooting is going up, within murder going down. What happened in Aurora IL this year was worse in some ways - the guy was a felon that applied for a concealed carry permit - come on, that is how little laws are enforced.
The single biggest weakness in the background check system right now is information sharing or identification of clearly troubled people. Texas church...IF the USAF had reported the Bad Conduct Discharge for felony spousal abuse to the Texas State Police, he would never have been able to purchase that AR-15 or ANY firearm. Parkland , FL...given all the incidents, this disturbed kid should have been on the radar. The Aurora felon, same story. In fact, go back to the Va Tech mass shooting...also an openly disturbed guy that ALSO flew under the radar. Now, here in Illinois because I have both a FOID and a CCL, my background check gets updated TWICE a day. As far as preventing the gang bangers, etc from obtaining guns...good luck with that. They purchase on the black market, straw purchases both in and out of state and law enforcement hasn't come close to slowing it down. On the plus side, both Maxons (Des Plaines) and Midwest Guns and Shooting Supplies (Lyons Twp) have busted crooks using the range and attempting to purchase firearms numerous times.
__________________



"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Reply With Quote
  #332  
Old 12-29-2019
Blonjuan44's Avatar
Blonjuan44 Blonjuan44 is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbln View Post
The single biggest weakness in the background check system right now is information sharing or identification of clearly troubled people. Texas church...IF the USAF had reported the Bad Conduct Discharge for felony spousal abuse to the Texas State Police, he would never have been able to purchase that AR-15 or ANY firearm. Parkland , FL...given all the incidents, this disturbed kid should have been on the radar. The Aurora felon, same story. In fact, go back to the Va Tech mass shooting...also an openly disturbed guy that ALSO flew under the radar. Now, here in Illinois because I have both a FOID and a CCL, my background check gets updated TWICE a day. As far as preventing the gang bangers, etc from obtaining guns...good luck with that. They purchase on the black market, straw purchases both in and out of state and law enforcement hasn't come close to slowing it down. On the plus side, both Maxons (Des Plaines) and Midwest Guns and Shooting Supplies (Lyons Twp) have busted crooks using the range and attempting to purchase firearms numerous times.
I feel sorry for the parents of these kids, but on the other hand most of them know or worried it was coming. The kid in Arizona that shot the rep - his parents tried to stop him driving off with a bag of guns and then did nothing. The parents of the kid that killed 6 people at NIU. Everyone knew he was crazy, but had no felonies I guess & the schools were not made aware. His parents tried to have that kid institutionalized, failed or was let out at 21, but yet there was nothing in the system to keep him from getting guns, and sent him off to college to be someone else's problem.

A little more pressure needs to be put on the parents to do more of the right thing before these incidents. Not sure what that entails - except more trouble if you kid gets in trouble. I think there are a lot more crazy people out there than people realize - can't control them all or lock them up & likely most can find a gun at old grampas' house or somewhere. The US will never give up guns, so there really is not much a solution to be had - maybe just harder punishment for being involved in some way.
__________________
There are two guys in that zebra costume! Very funny...
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old 12-29-2019
oldpioneer oldpioneer is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,167
https://patch.com/illinois/oakforest...rest-gun-range

I announced a fresh soph tournament at Oak Forest I must’ve drove right past there. By the way, the hospitality room was second to none!
__________________
Always support your local wrestling tournament concession stands!!!
Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old 12-29-2019
mckbln's Avatar
mckbln mckbln is offline
Sergeant Major
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: River Forest, IL
Posts: 10,072
Send a message via MSN to mckbln
This happened in Texas, at a church that was NOT a gun free zone, and guess what?:

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmat...q3OLPCGMVVyfdc
__________________



"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 12-29-2019
oldpioneer oldpioneer is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,167
What does a Texas church have to do with the coveted hospitality room?
__________________
Always support your local wrestling tournament concession stands!!!
Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old 12-29-2019
MAL MAL is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
The US will never give up guns, so there really is not much a solution to be had - maybe just harder punishment for being involved in some way.
You need to get over the silly notion that giving up guns would be a solution. Hypothetically if everyone in America voluntarily gave up their guns, you would not have gun crime...however there would still be crime, and criminals would have less fear of getting caught or even shot in the process of their crime. All forms of crime would get out of control.

Thankfully you backed up a foolish statement with one that is based on commonsense. Most of the time there is a potential punishment that would have prevented the crime. If you want to stop jaywalking...30 days in jail should just about solve that issue. If you want to stop murder...a humiliating public execution will cure many would be killers. If you don't like the death penalty...force killers to work off a lifetime of restitution to the victims family. Criminals need to have something that they fear, happen to them when they get caught.

Last edited by MAL; 12-29-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #337  
Old 12-29-2019
HuffHall HuffHall is offline
Stay off the head
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbln View Post
This happened in Texas, at a church that was NOT a gun free zone, and guess what?:

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmat...q3OLPCGMVVyfdc
Wow your stupidity knows no bounds.
Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old 12-29-2019
MAL MAL is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffHall View Post
Wow your stupidity knows no bounds.
If that gunman would have known that he would be killed after shooting just 2 people he would have chosen a different church that was a gun free zone.

There is only one way to stop an active shooter...
Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old 12-30-2019
Blonjuan44's Avatar
Blonjuan44 Blonjuan44 is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAL View Post
You need to get over the silly notion that giving up guns would be a solution. Hypothetically if everyone in America voluntarily gave up their guns, you would not have gun crime...however there would still be crime, and criminals would have less fear of getting caught or even shot in the process of their crime. All forms of crime would get out of control.

Thankfully you backed up a foolish statement with one that is based on commonsense. Most of the time there is a potential punishment that would have prevented the crime. If you want to stop jaywalking...30 days in jail should just about solve that issue. If you want to stop murder...a humiliating public execution will cure many would be killers. If you don't like the death penalty...force killers to work off a lifetime of restitution to the victims family. Criminals need to have something that they fear, happen to them when they get caught.
I have always said on this site I am pro gun. I never said that the US should give up their guns. I said the US never would. I understand how you would mistake that because you are always looking to argue with whatever is written. You are like Don Quixote. I have suggested common sense, just do what other countries do that have guns but less shootings, but assume we are going to get more gun crazy. If everyone in the us always carried a gun all the time, my assumption is there would be more shootings. Most of the dopes that shoot people aren't crazy, just angry. What about my offer to never post again if you also never post again?
__________________
There are two guys in that zebra costume! Very funny...
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old 12-30-2019
MAL MAL is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
I have always said on this site I am pro gun. I never said that the US should give up their guns. I said the US never would. I understand how you would mistake that because you are always looking to argue with whatever is written. You are like Don Quixote. I have suggested common sense, just do what other countries do that have guns but less shootings, but assume we are going to get more gun crazy. If everyone in the us always carried a gun all the time, my assumption is there would be more shootings. Most of the dopes that shoot people aren't crazy, just angry. What about my offer to never post again if you also never post again?
Here are your words: "The US will never give up guns, so there really is not much a solution to be had"

This statement is a clear insinuation that getting rid of guns would or could lead to a solution. I disagree with that statement. I believe that getting rid of guns would cause more crime.

It is becoming clear that you have no idea what other countries are doing to limit gun crime.

I will concede that more guns will lead to more accidental shootings, but that is just a mathematical conclusion...more trees leads to more accidental deaths caused by falling branches. There are also other statistics about guns that would be similar to that one, but those statistics are trivial compared the affect of the 2nd amendment on criminal activity and government over reach.

I am going to miss your posts when you stop posting.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.