Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 2A

Old 02-15-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar foot View Post
I think state is pretty lucrative
Like $1500 plus food Room and board
Wow...very lucrative...I bet half of them retire off that kind of money...then we will have a ref shortage again...

For three days of wrestling...the meetings after...probably about 14 hours each day...total 42 hours....gas from home and back.....+/- $100 avg. incidentals....so probably avg about $30/hr.

I would not put up with the scrutiny, the abuse, the back talking, whining , complaining for twice that
Old 02-15-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook-N-Tilt View Post
If someone doesnít want to be an official, donít do it. Someone will replace them I promise. Tough job? Maybe. Not tougher than mine or a thousand others. You know whatís harder? Coaching. Harder than that, wrestling. Donít try and stand out. Go unnoticed, know the rules and earn your money. The worst refs are the ones out of position from laziness or purposely. When there turned start counting, donít wait 3 seconds till you finally get over there. If kid doesnít shoot in 2 periods he should get a stall. Not warning but a call. Make them wrestle that is what everyone wants to see. If itís a high scoring match itís hard to blame any ref but when itís close every call is important. Call stalling a lot more and it fixes everything.
educate fans and it fixes everything,,, of course wrestling is hard. the officials are not in it for the dollars they love and want to support the sport. Im sure your job as a critic is much harder than theirs. Your only right about half the time....theyre right most the time.
Old 02-15-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol' man river View Post
educate fans and it fixes everything,,, of course wrestling is hard. the officials are not in it for the dollars they love and want to support the sport. Im sure your job as a critic is much harder than theirs. Your only right about half the time....theyre right most the time.
Educate fans? If an official is flustered by a fan or coach there not fit for duty. Nice assumption. Thatís the problem with the world today, people think they can assume and say whatever they want with no consequences. Not sure what kind of job your assuming but if I make a mistake things blow up and people get hurt along with myself getting fired. If you are a payed employee you are required to do the task at hand. Any and every job in the world lets people go that make mistakes. As far as doing it for the money. I have noticed very few officials that act like they enjoy it. Assuming is one thing. But someone out there fluffing for no reason?
Old 02-15-2019
Wrestling Media

Not quiet that much....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar foot View Post
I think state is pretty lucrative
Like $1500 plus food Room and board
If it was there would not be a shortage of officials. While I am not a State Finals wrestling official, I am a 3x baseball State Finals official and working two days my largest check was $495.00 plus 2 days Room and Board. You pay your own transportation unless you travel over 70 miles to the state tournament site. You pay your own meals. All IHSA finals pay is comparable. We definitely donít do it for the money.
Old 02-15-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR TWISTER View Post
If it was there would not be a shortage of officials. While I am not a State Finals wrestling official, I am a 3x baseball State Finals official and working two days my largest check was $495.00 plus 2 days Room and Board. You pay your own transportation unless you travel over 70 miles to the state tournament site. You pay your own meals. All IHSA finals pay is comparable. We definitely donít do it for the money.
What is your regular job if $250/day is nothing more than a pittance?
Old 02-15-2019
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clearly View Post
What is your regular job if $250/day is nothing more than a pittance?
250 a day for roughly 13 hours is NOTHING!!!! You get there at weigh-ins and stay until last match! Now, take out the taxes and that 250 a day becomes 200 a day!
Old 02-15-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stritchjanitor View Post
250 a day for roughly 13 hours is NOTHING!!!! You get there at weigh-ins and stay until last match! Now, take out the taxes and that 250 a day becomes 200 a day!
"NOTHING!!!!" LMAO
Old 02-15-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clearly View Post
"NOTHING!!!!" LMAO
All things are relative.
Old 02-16-2019

Pitiful

Perfect example in one of the most important rounds at State tonight. Secondary ref, what is your job near the end of a period? Watch and count down the time on the clock! You are suppose to do this sonthe head ref knows when time is out if the two wrestles are fighting in a close scoring position. If secondary ref is not doing their job, how does anyone know when time is out? Oh yea, letís ask the table workers to make a ruling on the match. That seems ethical!

Also, donít get me started on the out of position crap! So many refs put wrestlers in danger because they are too lazy to move during a match to the appropriate position to view certain holds! Absolutely pathetic and dangerous! Donít feed me this line of ďlack of officialsĒ! Iíve seen plenty of young guys doing great jobs, but never getting their chance at the big show. We always see the same prhetic guys at the State series.

Come on man!
Old 02-16-2019
Wrestling Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeDownChamp1 View Post
Perfect example in one of the most important rounds at State tonight. Secondary ref, what is your job near the end of a period? Watch and count down the time on the clock! You are suppose to do this sonthe head ref knows when time is out if the two wrestles are fighting in a close scoring position. If secondary ref is not doing their job, how does anyone know when time is out? Oh yea, letís ask the table workers to make a ruling on the match. That seems ethical!

Also, donít get me started on the out of position crap! So many refs put wrestlers in danger because they are too lazy to move during a match to the appropriate position to view certain holds! Absolutely pathetic and dangerous! Donít feed me this line of ďlack of officialsĒ! Iíve seen plenty of young guys doing great jobs, but never getting their chance at the big show. We always see the same prhetic guys at the State series.

Come on man!
Officials for state are selected based on the coaches ratings of them sooooooo......