Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 01-14-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post

I don't know who won the free clinic before the match, but I bet IMAR let some kids pin him. Those IKWF midgets can be tough. Especially when they wipe their booger fingers on your face.

GO ILLINI!!!
I believe Imar is still training in Russia (Rocky IV?) so he was not there. The true freshmen (except Luffman) did the clinic. Very cool tradition but turnout wouldve been better on a Friday night as multiple IKWF events were going on at the same time as the clinic. I love that they were teaching the cow catcher!
Old 01-14-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
I think the experience he is getting is something you cannot get on the practice mat.
You don't need me to tell you that redshirts are doing a heck of a lot more than just practicing in the room. It's a fact that most of the redshirts have gotten a heck of a lot more matches than Luffman has. Some of the reshirts have wrestled in the MSU Open, the Maryville Open (i.e. Kaufman Brand), the Lindenwood Open, the UNI Open and Midlands. And they typically get 3 to 5 matches in each.

I don't expect you to admit that you may be overstating the value in wrestling as a true freshman. I'll take the learning and growth you get from wrestling 15 to 25 matches against the mixed bag of college wrestlers (many who are quite talented) you get in the opens to get acclimated to the college game over the meat grinder of a Big Ten schedule that will just substantiate what many of us already know.
Old 01-15-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
You don't need me to tell you that redshirts are doing a heck of a lot more than just practicing in the room. It's a fact that most of the redshirts have gotten a heck of a lot more matches than Luffman has. Some of the reshirts have wrestled in the MSU Open, the Maryville Open (i.e. Kaufman Brand), the Lindenwood Open, the UNI Open and Midlands. And they typically get 3 to 5 matches in each.

I don't expect you to admit that you may be overstating the value in wrestling as a true freshman. I'll take the learning and growth you get from wrestling 15 to 25 matches against the mixed bag of college wrestlers (many who are quite talented) you get in the opens to get acclimated to the college game over the meat grinder of a Big Ten schedule that will just substantiate what many of us already know.
Then we can agree to disagree.
Old 01-16-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
I believe Imar is still training in Russia (Rocky IV?) so he was not there. The true freshmen (except Luffman) did the clinic. Very cool tradition but turnout wouldve been better on a Friday night as multiple IKWF events were going on at the same time as the clinic. I love that they were teaching the cow catcher!
I checked IMAR's twitter, and sure enough, it shows him watching Coach Medlin jump into a frozen Russian lake. Thanks for the info!

We used to call it "the pancake."

I taught my boy an Arm Drag because he had some problems his first couple of matches. Once he learned that set up, he became a takedown machine. I have never been so bursting with pride.

GO ILLINI/IMAR!!!
Sponsored Links