Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 12-26-2019
Olympian

Talking

It is now crystal clear that this is the gratest Midlands Preview in the entire world right now. Does it rank up there with important global achievements such as Renaissance Art, the invention of the printing press, the cure for Polio? I think we should let history decide.

In any event, this is what Kentucky Mudflap is saying about the Midlands this year:

Quote:
Hombres want to get all of you whats schooled up on the worlds oldest and gratest sport and talk about Midlands crumbling and what to do about it....

Now gents the Midlands has Timmy Cy running it and his brother what sells them worthless tshirts come out of the washer all shrunk up cheapest Chinese **** I ever saw Timmy Cy parades around wears a blazer what Gable bought him 30 years ago when he got the Northwestern job about 4 sizes to big Timmy Cy dont get the big teams nor the big talent nor the post grads dont hustle face it hombres the whole entire tourney sucks you cant polish a turd time to get a little outraged give a call to my close personal friend Jim Phillips hes the AD there to Northwestern 847-491-3205 Ill bend his hear when I get there personal like go out and hoist a few but gents he starts hearing the noise hes going to listen get the Midlands back there to historic Welsh Ryan Arena and get somebody with a heartbeat there to be in charge and get some tshirts what is worth the $25 theys charging hombres.

... anyways me and the hands pulling out Midlands bound gents they sell libations there to the arena look me up well hoist a few and happy christmas one and all.
After running that through the SPMT, my Special Portable Mudflap Translator, we find this coded message:

Quote:
Gentlemen, the current status of the Midlands tournament is poor. Fault lies with management. They sell lower-end merchandise at steep prices. The best teams and individuals will not be in attendance. Please join me in protesting this state of affairs. Finally, I shall be there, drink in hand. Seasons greetings.
Old 12-27-2019
Double stud

Whoever wrote that was a fool. Firstly, you'll never ever have the top 5 teams in the same building after CKLV.

The number 1 Ranking is on the line in at least 4 weights (125 133 149 157).

As much as I really don't like driving to Sears Center, it is a perfect venue.

With RTCs now, you will not get post grads out any more. They are training and competing FS and Greco.

Finally, Midlands has never had very good shirts lol. So come on out and have fun watching the best holiday tournament in the country.
Old 12-28-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Turban View Post
Whoever wrote that was a fool. Firstly, you'll never ever have the top 5 teams in the same building after CKLV.

The number 1 Ranking is on the line in at least 4 weights (125 133 149 157).

As much as I really don't like driving to Sears Center, it is a perfect venue.

With RTCs now, you will not get post grads out any more. They are training and competing FS and Greco.

Finally, Midlands has never had very good shirts lol. So come on out and have fun watching the best holiday tournament in the country.
I'm just the messenger. For my purposes, any tournament the ILLINI are entered in is my favorite tournament. They could be entered in an IKWF midget novice tournament, and that would be my favorite, especially if they wore Lucha Libre masks and flexed after every two-second pinfall of a six-year old.

KMF does make a few good point about post-grads. We've seen David Taylor, Nate Jackson and Ryan Prater in recent years. Also, D.J. Shannon came over as a gray shirt. I bet you offer these guys a few bucks, hotel, airplane tix and cab fare, you'd get some pretty big names.

Ya gotta change with the times.

I'm looking forward to a lot of great matches. If Carr and Duncan are healthy, the ILLINI could do pretty well.

What about Rivera? Is he ducking Lee, Glory and Mueller? C'mon, if you can't lose 8 pounds during one practice, you're a slacker!

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 12-28-2019
Olympian

Northwestern/Midlands working overtime to prove Kentucky Mudflap right. There are no preseeds. 17 hours or so before the first whistle.

And their homer list of "Top Contenders" is basically useless. Let me give you multiple reasons why:

1. Didn't come out until just before the tournament starts.
2. Doesn't show Luke Luffman as a top contender.
3. Lists a guy that Luffman already beat this year as top contender.
4. Oster as "Top Contender"? No Danny Braunagel.
5. Northwestern/Midlands could get free press at themat.com or theopenmat.com, but they're too lazy. Use email! Text it!

The South Beach Duals may decide to go to 40 teams because the Midlands is rolling over and playing dead. Hopefully, the ILLINI storm the mats with a big chip on their shoulders.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 12-29-2019
Varsity

Brackets are up on flo.
Old 12-29-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
Brackets are up on flo.
Thanks. Looks like no Mike Carr. Did I miss him? Seeds for the rest of the ILLINI starters. #4 for Pio; #3 for Guns. Lucas Byrd and D.J. Shannon got seeds. Oster and Braunagel in the second round! Luffman would face Hilger in the second round.

I think the only folks with seeding votes were Tom Brands, whoever the Northwestern coach is, and Nelson Brands.

Cardani is seeded and has Wisconsin's Ethan Rotondo first up. Pio doubled him up twice last year (12-6 and 8-4). He's probably the toughest of the unseeded wrestlers.

The ILLINI are under-seeded and should continue with that chip on their shoulders.

Good to see Mologousis and Riojas in the brackets.

I think an under-seeded Zac Braunagel and Dylan Duncan could cause some problems for some people.

Barone and Artalona in the second round is my upset special.

WAR ILLINI!!!
Old 12-29-2019
Olympian

Iowa leads team race with 12 wrestlers advancing to the quarters. The quarterfinal round is scheduled to begin at 7 pm

Quarterfinal matchups

125:
No. 1 Spencer Lee (Iowa) vs. Nolan Hellickson (Harvard)
No. 9 Drew Hildebrandt (Central Michigan) vs. No. 10 Michael DeAugustino Northwestern)
No. 8 Brock Hudkins (Indiana) vs. No. 11 Michael Colaiocco (Penn)
No. 3 Pat Glory (Princeton) vs. Chris Cannon (Northwestern)

133:
No. 1 Austin DeSanto (Iowa) vs. Carmen Ferrante (Penn)
No. 9 Travis Piotrowski (Illinois) vs. No. 11 Noah Gonser (Campbell)
No. 3 Sebastian Rivera (Northwestern) vs. No. 18 Louie Hayes (Virginia)
No. 2 Seth Gross (Wisconsin) vs. Colin Valdiviez (Northwestern)

141:
No. 8 Max Murin (Iowa) vs. Dylan Duncan (Illinois)
No. 12 Michael Blockhus (Northern Iowa) vs. No. 17 Shakur Laney (Ohio)
No. 7 Josh Heil (Campbell) vs. Salvatore Profaci (American)
No. 9 Tristan Moran (Wisconsin) vs. Zach Sherman (North Carolina)

149:
No. 1 Austin O'Connor (North Carolina) vs. Jeren Glosser (Iowa)
Vincent Turk (Iowa) vs. Michael Murphy (Virginia)
No. 7 Max Thomsen (Northern Iowa) vs. Tyshawn Williams (SIUE)
No. 3 Pat Lugo (Iowa) vs. Tres Leon Williamsburg, KY (Cumberlands)

157:
Logan Parks (Central Michigan) vs. Markus Hartman (Army West Point)
No. 10 Anthony Artalona (Penn) vs. No. 19 Justin Ruffin (SIUE)
No. 9 Kendall Coleman (Purdue) vs. No. 20 A.C. Headlee (North Carolina)
No. 8 Kaleb Young (Iowa) vs. Zac Carson (Ohio)

165:
No. 2 Alex Marinelli (Iowa) vs. No. 19 Philip Conigliaro (Harvard)
No. 15 Zach Hartman (Bucknell) vs. Jake Keating (Virginia)
No. 6 David McFadden (Virginia Tech) vs. Danny Braunagel (Illinois)
No. 3 Evan Wick (Wisconsin) vs. No. 16 Quentin Perez (Princeton)

174:
No. 4 Dylan Lydy (Purdue) vs. No. 20 Clay Lautt (North Carolina)
No. 11 Ben Harvey (Army West Point) vs. Jacob Covaciu (Indiana)
No. 10 Joey Gunther (Illinois) vs. Jared Krattiger (Wisconsin)
No. 5 Bryce Steiert (Northern Iowa) vs. Victor Marcelli (Virginia)

184:
No. 4 Taylor Lujan (Northern Iowa) vs. No. 20 Johnny Sebastian (Northwestern)
No. 12 Noah Stewart (Army West Point) vs. Andrew Morgan (Campbell)
No. 10 Tanner Harvey (American) vs. Abe Assad (Iowa)
No. 14 Nelson Brands (Iowa) vs. Zachary Braunagel (Illinois)

197:
No. 2 Jacob Warner (Iowa) vs. Gage Braun (Northern Illinois)
No. 16 Jay Aiello (Virginia) vs. Alex Hopkins (Army West Point)
No. 8 Christian Brunner (Purdue) vs. Lucas Davison (Northwestern)
No. 3 Pat Brucki (Princeton) vs. Drew Phipps (Bucknell)

285:
No. 4 Anthony Cassioppi (Iowa) vs. Zach Elam (Missouri)
No. 12 Jere Heino (Campbell) vs. No. 15 Carter Isley (Northern Iowa)
No. 8 Matt Stencel (Central Michigan) vs. Yaraslau Slavikouski (Harvard)
No. 5 Trent Hillger (Wisconsin) vs. Bobby Heald (Army West Point)
Old 12-29-2019
Olympian

Brawny1 and Brawny2 have been under-ranked for some time. Especially Danny. I don't know why. Had a chance in the final seconds to take down McFadden for one of the biggest upsets of the year.

Zac defeated the Chairman of the Seeding Committee to make it to the semis. Gunther and the indestructible PIO also to the semis. Luffman and Wrobo-cop and Duncan still in it to place.

Have they assured themselves of a placement? Little help!

I thought the team did pretty **** good. A lot of smart wrestling.

Besides covering his ears and fingers at all times, what is your advice for PIO? I say go Greco, look for a cradle on the side.

I didn't see Sizemore on the bracket. Did I miss him? If not, I hope he's okay. Would like to see more of his power half.

WAR ILLINI!!!
Old 12-30-2019
Varsity

Sizemore apparently had an injury default then medical forfeit for the next match. I wasnt watching that one so didnt see what happened. I didnt see much of the Illini guys losing to opponents they shouldve beat which is always good. Next is just beating the guys you are not expected to beat and ZB did that today. Interesting to see him vs Assad tomorrow.
Old 12-30-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
Sizemore apparently had an injury default then medical forfeit for the next match. I wasnt watching that one so didnt see what happened. I didnt see much of the Illini guys losing to opponents they shouldve beat which is always good. Next is just beating the guys you are not expected to beat and ZB did that today. Interesting to see him vs Assad tomorrow.
Based on what I have seen thus far at Midlands, I have very positive impressions of Cardani, Piotrowski, Duncan, and both Braunagels. Luffman needs lots of work on his feet to beat the better guys, but he's only a freshman. I still maintain the team should have had at least 2 more dual meets before Midlands.
Sponsored Links