Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 01-10-2020
Olympian

I continue to say there was no point to not redshirting Luffman this year. The team is winning nothing this year. He is not D1 heavyweight ready...... not this year. The jump from AA state champion at that weight is huge. I just don’t understand why the plan with him would not be the same as the plan with the Brawny bros. That year wrestling opened was a huge benefit to them being as ready as they are. Scoring a single takedown on the PSU wrestler who very well may be the 3rd best 285 pounder in his practice room next year is simply not good enough for a wrestler who came in with as much hype as he has.
Old 01-10-2020
Olympian

You being an ILLINI fan after a great, hard-fought dual:

Quote:
I give credit to every Illini wrestler
You being a traitor:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
PSU wrestled several second teamers and still beat us. ... except one, Gunther. To get DQd for stalling is unconsionable. He did nothing. He was completely scared the entire match and stopped trying. He didn't even seem surprised when the match was called. Embarassing. I know Hall is excellent, but come on, you have to at least try.

Cardani was awesome! He can take down D1 wrestlers. He will be an All-American one day. I was also pleased with his riding and bottom work in this match. But those takedowns!

The Great Indestructible Pio did Pio things. He also has upped his takedown game. Who else in the country has pinned two different PSU wrestlers in his last two duals against them?

Dylan Duncan fought hard. Just work on that belief in yourself (and keep that right leg a little further back).

Different meet with Carr in there; but PSU can say the same thing for a couple of their wrestlers. Mousa Jodeh has a lot of heart, and he battled.

Did everybody in the world pick Berge/Pipher over Barone? Shame on you, world! Pick up another confidence-building win on Sunday, and we got the old Barone back!

Love the Brawnys! I get to watch them for three and a half more years. That makes me happy. Wonder what Brawnagel said to Brooks after their match? I never had any friends who were twins, so twins kind of freak me out. Like clowns. Or zombies that can sprint. But I LOVE ME SOME BRAWNAGELS!

Guns wanted to not give up bonus. The announcer who was very good (Byers?) said that Hall and Gunther had never wrestled before. Wrong. Hall pinned him in last year's dual. That's what Guns was trying to avoid.

Wrobo-Cop has shot up in my estimation since my pre-Midlands evaluation. Shakur must have known his gas tank was empty, but man, Wroblewski came within an erg of setting the wrestling community on fire like he was the Joker and wrestling forums were an innocent hospital.

I didn't like Byers (?) calling Nevills a true freshman. Didn't he take a grayshirt last year? Luffman battled hard. I get to watch him wrestle for another three and a half years, and that makes me happy!

Overall, the ILLINI took it to them. A lot of very relieved PSU fans (and very happy Iowa fans) after this. The future is bright for the Orange and Blue.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 01-10-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
I continue to say there was no point to not redshirting Luffman this year. The team is winning nothing this year. He is not D1 heavyweight ready...... not this year. The jump from AA state champion at that weight is huge. I just donít understand why the plan with him would not be the same as the plan with the Brawny bros. That year wrestling opened was a huge benefit to them being as ready as they are. Scoring a single takedown on the PSU wrestler who very well may be the 3rd best 285 pounder in his practice room next year is simply not good enough for a wrestler who came in with as much hype as he has.
It depends on what you mean by winning nothing. If you are talking about the Big 10s, I agree with you. However, this team is winning nothing next year either, and Luffman can redshirt then if coach needs him to. I think the experience he is getting is something you cannot get on the practice mat. He's by far the best big man we have. He'll get better by the end of the year.
Old 01-11-2020
Go for the pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
PSU wrestled several second teamers and still beat us. I give credit to every Illini wrestler except one, Gunther. To get DQd for stalling is unconsionable. He did nothing. He was completely scared the entire match and stopped trying. He didn't even seem surprised when the match was called. Embarassing. I know Hall is excellent, but come on, you have to at least try.
Correct, they essentially lost to the B team. The match at 165 was an embarrassment. 197 lber needs work. He doesn't score much in his matches and makes mistakes. Braunagels still both impress me for being freshman.

Scratching my head on this quote. Shouldn't you expect a lot of fight on day one back in November, not now forward.

"There was a lot of fight from our guys, and thatís something we need to expect from our guys every time out now.Ē -@HeffJim on tonightís battle at Penn State.
Old 01-11-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwrestler155 View Post
The match at 165 was an embarrassment.

"There was a lot of fight from our guys, and thatís something we need to expect from our guys every time out now.Ē -@HeffJim on tonightís battle at Penn State.
Scratching my head on this quote. Shouldn't you expect a lot of fight on day one back in November, not now forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
Guns wanted to not give up bonus. The announcer who was very good (Byers?) said that Hall and Gunther had never wrestled before. Wrong. Hall pinned him in last year's dual. That's what Guns was trying to avoid.
GO ILLINI!!!
I'm sorry Chief, but the "Guns" were shooting blanks again tonight.
Just like they were against Marinelli last season........when he DQ'd out.

Which gives 6 points.......

I know he's an Illinois kid, and he's wrestled some tough competition, but to DQ twice?
Old 01-11-2020
Olympian

The Hoosiers were busy last night. They were in Iowa to take in The Brando and Brando Show. They gave it zero stars. The match started at 149, but I hate looking at it that way:

Quote:

IOWA 41, Indiana 0

125 -- #1 Spencer Lee (IA) tech. fall Liam Cronin (IND), 15-0;
133 -- #2 Austin DeSanto (IA) pinned Jonathan Moran (IND), 2:42;
141 -- #7 Max Murin (IA) Eddie Bolivar (IND), 6-0;
149 -- #1 Pat Lugo (IA) dec. Graham Rooks (IND), 10-6;
157 -- #6 Kaleb Young (IA) dec. Fernando Silva (IND), 11-4;
165 -- #2 Alex Marinelli (IA) pinned David Tunon (IND), 5:34;
174 -- #3 Michael Kemerer (IA) dec. Jacob Covaciu (IND), 9-6;
184 -- Abe Assad (IA) Jake Hinz (IND), 6-2;
197 -- #5 Jacob Warner (IA) Nick Willham (IND), 8-3;
285 -- #4 Tony Cassioppi (IA) pinned Rudy Streck (IND), 0:20;
Old 01-12-2020
Olympian

The ILLINI with the near sweep, winning 32-3. Both Brawlnagels got twin 18-3 technical falls, Wrobo-cop with the double-leg takedown off the whistle to power his win. Luffman with an easy win even though he didn't get the mystery cradle back points. Cardani wrestled a pretty game kid and blasted him. Barone with an easy win, and Guns gets another ranked win. Thought Pio was a little under the weather, as his finishes were a count slow. Dylan Duncan triumphed. No Mike Carr. Get healthy young man! Mousa Jodeh had one of the better IU wrestlers and lost 1-6.

Was that Trey Piotrowski or Sizemore on the call? Great job by the announcers.

I don't know who won the free clinic before the match, but I bet IMAR let some kids pin him. Those IKWF midgets can be tough. Especially when they wipe their booger fingers on your face.

Next up is another tough road dual against an Ohio State University. It's the only dual next week, and it will be on Sunday. That's it from Myrtle Beach, folks, drive home safely.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 01-12-2020
Varsity

Quote:
The ILLINI with the near sweep, winning 32-3. Both Brawlnagels got twin 18-3 technical falls, Wrobo-cop with the double-leg takedown off the whistle to power his win. Luffman with an easy win even though he didn't get the mystery cradle back points. Cardani wrestled a pretty game kid and blasted him. Barone with an easy win, and Guns gets another ranked win. Thought Pio was a little under the weather, as his finishes were a count slow. Dylan Duncan triumphed. No Mike Carr. Get healthy young man! Mousa Jodeh had one of the better IU wrestlers and lost 1-6.

I don't know who won the free clinic before the match, but I bet IMAR let some kids pin him. Those IKWF midgets can be tough. Especially when they wipe their booger fingers on your face.

Next up is another tough road dual against an Ohio State University. It's the only dual next week, and it will be on Sunday. That's it from Myrtle Beach, folks, drive home safely.

GO ILLINI!!!
Overall, a good, solid win for the Illini. I would like to have seen more action on their feet from Wroblewski and Luffman. To me, wroblewski looks slender at 197.
Old 01-14-2020

Quote:

GO ILLINI!!!
It was Sizemore on the announcing, I caught the introductions at the very beginning. I believe he has done both home duals so far.

As far as some of the guys looking a little slow I would agree. However I heard that their flight go canceled on Friday night so they spent Saturday driving home from PA, stopping off at ohio state to get a workout it. An 11 hour drive the day between 2 big10 duals is not ideal but it happens.
Old 01-14-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenwing View Post
It was Sizemore on the announcing, I caught the introductions at the very beginning. I believe he has done both home duals so far.

As far as some of the guys looking a little slow I would agree. However I heard that their flight go canceled on Friday night so they spent Saturday driving home from PA, stopping off at ohio state to get a workout it. An 11 hour drive the day between 2 big10 duals is not ideal but it happens.
Excellent information on both counts! Thanks!

Sizemore did an excellent job, and you're right, I did miss the introductions. He might have a future doing this kind of thing. Million times better than the usual student broadcast.

I did read somewhere that Hef said it took 17 hours to get back from State Penn. I just didn't put two and two together. Makes sense. Cheers!

GO ILLINI!!!
Sponsored Links