Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

THE JUMP FROM WRESTLING 1.0 TO WRESTLING 5.0

If I had to categorize the history and future of wrestling, I would give it various epochs, which I will call Wrestling 1.0 through Wrestling 5.0. At the present time, I think we are well into Wrestling 3.0:

WRESTLING 1.0

From the dawn of man, there has been wrestling. This was Wrestling 1.0, and it consisted of some dude wrestling some other dude, or a wolf, or a bear. I'm using Martin "Farmer" Burns to illustrate this epoch. The guy was obviously in shape, as he claimed to sport a wrestling record of 6,000-7.

That picture above shows Farmer Burns demonstrating a wrestling hold. He was one of the first people in the United States to run wrestling clinics. He also travelled to fairs and staged matches with all comers.

Wrestling 1.0 is roughly the time from the first impromptu wrestling match between cavemen (or women) and about the 1950s or 60s. That's when specialized weight training and lifting really became ubiquitous. Before that you had a few odd fellows doing something like this: "Progressive resistance training dates back at least to Ancient Greece, when legend has it that wrestler Milo of Croton trained by carrying a newborn calf on his back every day until it was fully grown."

That might help with the squats, but unless he was also benching horses and curling goats, he was only training part of his body. And if he was eating the usual Greek fare, he wasn't optimizing his performance.

WRESTLING 2.0

Starting in about the 1950s and continuing to this day, wrestlers have sought out and implemented specialized weight training, dieting and coaching. That coaching includes not just how to wrestle, but how to care for a wrestler's body. Thus, it included diet, fluids, stretching, calisthenics, weight lifting (various types), flexibility training, aerobic and anaerobic activities. It now includes sports psychology. Who better to demonstrate this era than NCAA Champion Jesse Delgado:

Delgado benefited from scientific studies that were applied to his own physiology to create a champion that was flexible, strong, and could endure a long match.

WRESTLING 3.0

And then came the chemicals.

We are currently in the Wrestling 2.0 era, as well as Wrestling 3.0. "In competitive sports, doping is the use of banned athletic performance-enhancing drugs by athletic competitors." In the 1960s, it was learned that Soviet athletes were using Testosterone injections to increase muscle mass. In the decades to come, various kinds of doping would become more prevalent.

Who better to represent the era of Wrestling 3.0 than Artur Taymazov, who was just stripped of his second medal for doping. According to themat.com, Tervel Dlagnev will receive an Olympic Bronze medal because Taymazov's run to the championships at the 2012 games was tainted.

So, Wrestling 3.0 involves the use of chemicals, either drawn from other animals or synthesized to create mass, strength (or in the case of other drugs) endurance, healing powers or speed. The next era, I predict, will see us tinkering with the building blocks of nature.

WRESTLING 4.0

It could be that Wrestling 4.0 will take the shape of some kind of regulated bionics or prosthetics. Look at South African sprinter (and murderer) Oscar Pistorius. They called him "blade runner" because he had lost his legs below the knee and ran on flexible blades.

But I think the future will involve gene-splicing that will create the uber-wrestler and poet. Cut and splice the DNA sequences that you need to create a child that will grow up to wrestle and shun video games. Are they already doing this in Russia? What do you think?

It works on corn and cows. I imagine it would work on people babies too.

WRESTLING 5.0

And then came the machines.

If we don't blow each other up or die from a plague or an asteroid or massive super volcano eruptions, then I think one day the machines will be our heirs. With only the laws of physics stopping them, they can become so intelligent that they'll look upon us the way we look on ants.

Will they even be interested in wrestling? I think they will appreciate the random nature of the sport and its outcomes, but I don't know what a creature a billion times smarter than me would like. It will probably be something higher tech than hypno-disk:

Perhaps they will create a giant stadium out of Mars?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Since many people are worried that video games will detract from actual human sports, I felt it was my duty to provide the dire warning contained in this post. The video games are coming for your children! And they've gotten better: Better graphics. Better action. Better realism.

It used to be that you played a game that looked like an Eastern European cartoon from the 1950s. That was the day of Mike Tyson's Punch Out. This is what it looked like:

But as I said before, the games have gotten more realistic. There are more functions. In a typical MMA game from 2019, you can punch like in the old Mike Tyson Punch Out, but you can also go for a takedown and then a submission. You can play defense as well. The new games look more like this:

I have to admit that that looks like fun. But soon, virtual reality headsets and then drugs to make the experience more pleasurable and real will take hold. It is at that time--a time when history and our future as a sport hang in the balance--that we will see the introduction of a virtual reality game based upon Iowa wrestling coaches:

This game will be so stupid and un-fun that children will flock to wrestling clinics and join high school wrestling teams out of sheer boredom because who would want to play this?

THE END
Old 1 Week Ago
Olympian

Old 1 Week Ago
Olympian

Sponsored Links