Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Old 12-28-2019

Club Options

Good evening everyone,

I'd like to get my 5 year old son into wrestling. He has been training Judo for almost 2 years and really enjoys it. We live in the Northern suburbs. Poeta would be the closest for us. Toss Em would not be a horrible drive either probably 35-40. Could probably get to Cardinals in about 40-45. Could anyone shed some light on these programs as I am a complete novice and only have these names from internet searches. Give me the good and the bad. Suggestions and the such. I appreciate any and all help. Thank you in advance.
Old 12-28-2019

Poeta has a lot of little guys right now. And it's a super nice gym
Old 12-28-2019
Varsity

All of those are really good clubs. Can't go wrong with any of these clubs.
Old 12-28-2019
Varsity

Agreed all good but unique clubs. My suggestion to you is to go visit each of their off-season programs. You get a feel for the commitment level and the coaching style.
Old 12-28-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudoDad27 View Post
Good evening everyone,

I'd like to get my 5 year old son into wrestling. He has been training Judo for almost 2 years and really enjoys it. We live in the Northern suburbs. Poeta would be the closest for us. Toss Em would not be a horrible drive either probably 35-40. Could probably get to Cardinals in about 40-45. Could anyone shed some light on these programs as I am a complete novice and only have these names from internet searches. Give me the good and the bad. Suggestions and the such. I appreciate any and all help. Thank you in advance.
Go to where his friends from schools will also be going, which is most likely the closest place or your town's club. If that does not exist go to the largest club, ie the club with the most potential wrestling partners. Did you wrestle as a kid? I guessing you did if you are into judo. If you did, nothing more to add - you know plenty. If you didn't - don't burn the kid out, don't burn yourself out, don't coach your own kid - ie no criticism at age 5 - although almost impossible. If you keep him in the sport, he will succeed to the level of his abilities. Most kids will not stay in most sports they try. Now days, kids end up specializing by like age 14, and generally like to switch to something new at that time. No need to peak at age 6. On a side note, my kids did judo also. Good luck.

Last edited by Blonjuan44; 12-28-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-28-2019

Thank you

Thank you for the responses. I did not wrestle as a kid. I was a hockey and baseball player. I coach high level hockey but refuse to coach my own kids. I rarely even go on the ice with them. I let their coaches coach. Makes sense about going to where their high school friends would go. We are going to try a class at Poeta next week to see if he likes it. A friend of my wife's who I went to high school with had her son there and he's currently wrestling for U of Illinois. Appreciate the help again. Have a safe and happy New Year's holiday.
Old 12-29-2019
Junior Varsity

Coach Noble here with Toss Em Up Wrestling Academy. Feel free to come by and visit. Our beginners classes are on Tuesday Thursday & Friday. For most 5 yr old kids the class is an hour and 15 minutes. Would love to earn the opportunity of building your son to one of our future champions.
Old 12-30-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudoDad27 View Post
Thank you for the responses. I did not wrestle as a kid. I was a hockey and baseball player. I coach high level hockey but refuse to coach my own kids. I rarely even go on the ice with them. I let their coaches coach. Makes sense about going to where their high school friends would go. We are going to try a class at Poeta next week to see if he likes it. A friend of my wife's who I went to high school with had her son there and he's currently wrestling for U of Illinois. Appreciate the help again. Have a safe and happy New Year's holiday.
There are several options in your area, but if you want a program proven to develop solid fundamentals and has produced winners, but more importantly kids with great character, Coach Noble at Toss em Up is who you want your little guy to learn from. He is a great coach and a good dude all around. I do not have any affiliation with that program, but just my observation and opinion from interactions over the last 10 years.

Last edited by A boyz 3; 12-30-2019 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Spellcheck
Old 12-30-2019
2BoysWrestling

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by A boyz 3 View Post
There are several options in your area, but if you want a program proven to develop solid fundamentals and has produced winners, but more importantly kids with great character, Coach Noble at Toss em Up is who you want your little guy to learn from. He is a great coach and a good dude all around. I do not have any affiliation with that program, but just my observation and opinion from interactions over the last 10 years.
Agree with this 100%. Coach Noble is doing great things and has a great program there. Not only are coach Noble and coach Stewart great wrestling coaches but great guys as well. You would be putting your young wrestler in a great position to learn and reach his potential there.
Old 12-30-2019

I agree that Coach Noble would be my 1st choice. If we didn't live almost 3 hours away, my son would be in his room everyday!
Sponsored Links