Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
Surprised to hear you say you're impressed with Luffman's performance yesterday. I did not see the match, nor can i say that this is absolutely an indication of how the rest of the season will go, but he lost to a pretty pedestrian D1 heavyweight in Ihry. This is not a kid who will likely qualify for the big dance out of the MAC much less be competitive with any of the top D1 heavies. I guess it remains to be seen it this was just an off day for Luffman or indicative of where he stands this season. It does reinforce my long-standing opinion that Luffman would have benefited from redshirting this year. You're not winning anything as a team by having him compete this year, so i just don't see the point. Too late now...
You have to remember that the bar at Hwt. was set pretty low with the Deuce. I already see more hope with Luffman than last year. Although I agree that as a general matter a kid can benefit from a redshirt year, the team needed him even more, and he was already pretty good coming in. He has the ability to redshirt some time in the future, if needed. If he struggles this year, then he redshirts next year or thereafter, but at least he will have a measuring stick going forward to gauge what he needs to do.
Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

As an aside, watch out for Purdue. They had 5 top 4 placers at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas tournament, which was really tough. They are going to be a handful for the Illini this year and going forward. That's a program that is on an upward trajectory thanks to a good coach and very good recruiting.
Old 6 Days Ago
Olympian

With Mike Carr and Brit Wilson in the lineup, the score stretches from 22-15 to 25-13. Wilson takes back a point, but Carr turns a 3-point loss to a 3-point win. Also, if we wrestle this match a dozen times, I'm thinking Luffman gets the win almost every time, which would increase our score and decrease NIU's down to 10. I also think Barone and Brawny2 win the vast majority of those matches. Barone beat him last year. Brawny2 is better. So, it was a bit of a freak match in that respect. PIO was gonna score six in that match whether he got the forfeit or not.

We are still fielding a bunch of young colt freshmen, luckily they're stud thoroughbred freshmen, and we still got one race horse with a blanket on its back over to the stable. [spit!]

The ILLINI will have a break until 12/29, so they can work up those freshmen. Can't wait to watch The Midlands!

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 6 Days Ago
Go for the pin

Was impressed with Cardani. He has some quickness I hadn't noticed before.
Old 5 Days Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwrestler155 View Post
Was impressed with Cardani. He has some quickness I hadn't noticed before.
I agree. He's a tough kid that's going to improve. He'll need to, as he's in a tough weight class in the Big 10. He could also use a little more muscle on those arms.
Sponsored Links