Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 02-14-2020
ILWrestle.com

Danny Pucino has the heart of a lion. I feel horribly for this young man, his family, his coach. But his success in life and on the mat is far from being realized.

I will remember his high school career as one filled with incredible talent, tremendous sportsmanship, great work ethic, and the highest character. I can't wait to see him on the collegiate mat...

Mick
Old 02-14-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILWrestle View Post
Danny Pucino has the heart of a lion. I feel horribly for this young man, his family, his coach. But his success in life and on the mat is far from being realized.

I will remember his high school career as one filled with incredible talent, tremendous sportsmanship, great work ethic, and the highest character. I can't wait to see him on the collegiate mat...

Mick

Mick, I second your opinion on Danny. Amazing wrestler and athlete, and an even better kid. I was there when he got hurt and I had a bad feeling about his injury. I feel horrible for Danny because I know how hard he works. I know big things are in store for him at the next level. It's been a joy watching him wrestle of the last couple of years.
Old 02-14-2020
Second String

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILWrestle View Post

Mick
Well said! This kid is a class act that my son and had the opportunity to coach and wrestle with on many post season dual teams. I wish Danny the best and look forward to watching him at the U of I.
Old 02-14-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Ankle View Post
then what does that say about the process that allowed him to continue his match last week?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
Not much unless you know why he was removed.

I'm ok trusting the trainer to give the kid a shot to continue. Neither is ideal but I prefer having to be pulled now than making that call on the mat and the kid is completely fine going forward but unable to compete because of an over cautious trainer. All situations are different but I lean towards allowing the chance to chase his dream... would probably be a lot more cautious if not for the state series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Ankle View Post
there shouldn't be any leaning. i know why he was removed. its the same issue that should've removed him from his last match. the trainer has a job to do. they should do it. asking the parents if its okay to continue shouldn't be part of the process. that was my point.
I am under the assumption that we are talking about a concussion.

Not having been there to see, and not being a medical professional had I been, I have to (partially) agree with both PBS and Bionic Ankle.

If the trainer, who should have performed a baseline at the beginning of the season, performed a concussion protocol and deemed him OK to continue, they should not have let any opinion of his parents weigh on their decision to allow him to continue, unless the parents (or coach or himself) said for him NOT to continue.

If the trainer did have the baseline to reference AND performed the protocol AND he failed AND the trainer allowed him to continue based on the situation, the parents or Danny's feelings the trainer should be dismissed immediately and a permanent record of this incident should follow the trainer in question for the rest of their career.

Concussions are nothing to be taken lightly.
Just my opinion.

It is also sad to hear that he won't be able to compete for a state title.
He is a great wrestler who I look forward to seeing in the future at Illinois.
Old 02-14-2020
Olympian

Danny Pucino

All the best to you in your recovery and your future at U of I. You have given us all such great memories. Every match you were in, there was nonstop action for as long as the match went on. No one came in with more energy and enthusiasm for this great sport. You will always be a champion, not just because of your immense talent, but your drive and the kind of person you are.
Old 02-15-2020
Blackhawk

Was it a Grant trainer, or a Libertyville trainer, that game him the "green light" to continue?

And, if they let him continue vs Round Lake kid, does that mean that that trainer saw absolutely no signs of a concussion? Or, are the trainers allowed to let him continue if they see, what they consider to be, only "minor" concussion symptoms?

It just sounds like (from other posts) that he was displaying some concussion symptoms in front of the entire audience.
Old 02-15-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannerman View Post
Was it a Grant trainer, or a Libertyville trainer, that game him the "green light" to continue?

And, if they let him continue vs Round Lake kid, does that mean that that trainer saw absolutely no signs of a concussion? Or, are the trainers allowed to let him continue if they see, what they consider to be, only "minor" concussion symptoms?

It just sounds like (from other posts) that he was displaying some concussion symptoms in front of the entire audience.
Regardless of who's trainer it was, even if it was an outside company contracted to work the event, they have a responsibility to the safety of the kids.

The only way the trainer should have allowed Danny to continue is if he showed ZERO signs of a concussion.

I want to emphasize, ZERO.

Which means no dizziness, no confusion, no feeling dazed, no clumsiness, no slurred speech, no nausea, no blurred vision, no headache, no ringing in his ears, no sensitivity to noise or light, no memory loss - those are a few of the immediate symptoms of a concussion that any trainer worth their credentials would view as signs of even a mild (grade 1) concussion, which would obligate them to rule him out of being able to continue.
Judging by what some posters have said, he displayed at least some of those signs, which should have immediately made his condition known to the trainer and his coaches.
I understand that in the moment you are caught up in the frenzy, the excitement, and knowing that Danny is a senior and has a chance at a state title, it may make you want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but, as hard as it is, you HAVE to err on the side of caution.

I have been in that situation many times, both as a player and a coach, where you need/want your athlete to continue, and, sadly, I have made the wrong decision before.
Before I knew the full scope of what a concussion was and the lasting damage it can cause, I have sent athletes back onto the field/mat. Now I know better, as should all of us, especially an athletic trainer and his coaches, who should have been extensively schooled in concussion symptoms and causes and their lasting effects.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but knowing what I now know about concussions, as I'm sure most of you do, the short term gain is not worth the long term affect that a concussion can cause.

I'm sure his future Illini coaches would agree.
Old 02-15-2020

I was right there. Danny passed the concussion protocol without any problems. He looked very stable.
Sponsored Links