Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 02-17-2020

At least seed the sectional winners

This archaic and stupid point system must go if having the best state tournament is the goal. Having the two best wrestlers in the finals should be the goal. Simply seeding the sectional winners (not by the point system) would at least ensure the top rated guys being on the opposite sides of the bracket. A Ragusin vs Rundell semi should never happen and there are many others. Farmer vs Baysinger is another.

They should seed the whole thing but I know that'll never happen, so at least seed the sectional winners where they should be.
Old 02-17-2020
Varsity

Same thing at 152
Old 02-17-2020
Olympian

3 things that would help.
1) As I have previously said, Give points, even if reduced, if wrestler has been a state placer in a previous year, though not last year.
2) Give equal credit for making state and/or placing for wrestlers who have moved from other states.
3) So many freshman are coming to HS with a great deal of skill. Give points for winning or placing at IKWF or IESA championships. Brackets at the Barrington Tournament are now seeded with taking in accomplishments that freshmen have made previous to HS.
Old 02-17-2020
Varsity

You guys are assuming that these kids make it to the semifinals of course right? Because there were quite a few upsets in the sectional tournaments this past weekend. And I dont think people are giving these kids the proper respect they deserve.

The point system may be flawed, I'm not sure giving points to ikwf or iesa is the answer. If those kids are skilled they will show how good they are at those tournaments after all this is highschool it's all a clean slate at this point. And points to outside of illinois? Why ? This is a Illinois state tournament if they move into illinois again those kids should have to prove themselves right? And using the rankings well we all know those are just for the parents. Maybe use points and a coaches vote for seeding? I'm sure enough people will complain this year because there favorite kid didnt get what he deserves so it will change. But one thing for certain there will be some really good semi final matches !
Old 02-17-2020
Varsity

Who would you seed #1 at 126lb? The one who won last? Makes a difference on who gets #3/4. This would just create a different argument. So you have the final on Friday night instead of Saturday night. Big deal. They probably knew this was how the bracket would look months ago (and kudos for not forfeiting at sectionals) I bet both these guys are going there with the attitude that they are going to beat them all so bring it on. Also, I'd rather see the match up Friday knowing they have to make weight the following morning.
Old 02-17-2020
Varsity

There is no way to seed the top four that eliminates the problem of having the possible top two wretle in semifinals or quarters. If you add head-to-head, it will not always solve the problem, Because a beats b, b beats c and c beats a more often than people think during the year. Also, if the top wrestler on the state weekend dropped a match at sectionals, then someone may get him in the quarters. But remember, the wrestler dropped a match at sectionals, so he wasnt the best on that day, and doesnt deserve a seed.

As I have grown to love the sport, I have realized it doesnt matter where you are seeded. If you think you are the best, you have to beat everyone
you face in the bracket, be it the quarter, semis or finals. And I think thats the way the wrestlers see it. For the top wrestlers, its either first, or they feel they have underachieved. 3rd and second are the same thing... not first.

Who is going to deceide who is better than another? A committee? The coaches vote for seeding. I dont think so. That leaves room for drama. And the coaches will have to align by conferences to get votes for each other, which is what happens at regionals.

I am glad, That in the end, seeding doesnt matter what so ever. The wrestler that wins state is the champ no matter when they faced the other best wrestlers.

I thought the best match last year was the second time Lopez and Zaconni faced off, and it wasnt for first place. Still, two great wrestlers moving like bats out of hell for 6 minutes. It didnt matter that it wasnt the finals.
Old 02-17-2020

A Lot of states do use a committee to seed their tournament. New Jersey ranks 1-32 for all weights.
My main thought is that the current point system is stupid. Use common sense to at least rank the sectional winners. It's just not that difficult.
Seeding the top seeds at sectionals would also give you a much much better tournament. Again, these are simple measures to have a better tournament. Assuming that is the goal.
Old 02-17-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestle1 View Post
A Lot of states do use a committee to seed their tournament. New Jersey ranks 1-32 for all weights.
My main thought is that the current point system is stupid. Use common sense to at least rank the sectional winners. It's just not that difficult.
Seeding the top seeds at sectionals would also give you a much much better tournament. Again, these are simple measures to have a better tournament. Assuming that is the goal.
NJ seeds 1-24 and the 4th place guys are seeded only amongst themselves for the 25-32 spots.
Old 02-17-2020
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Having Rundell and Ragusin meet in the semi-finals is absolutely stupid.

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Old 02-17-2020
Olympian

They are seeded; you just don’t like the way it’s done. Same whining every year, usually by the same people.
Sponsored Links