Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 12-30-2010
Varsity

Not to spoil the conversation, but I just returned from the Midlands. Am I the only one that thought the match looked staged? Neither guy fought off certain moves. No way can you convince me that both guys tried their hardest. It was like two friends rolling around to loosen up... Ben just seemed to "roll" a little better that Jake.
Old 12-30-2010
platitude/attitude buster

agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.Z. View Post
Not to spoil the conversation, but I just returned from the Midlands. Am I the only one that thought the match looked staged? Neither guy fought off certain moves. No way can you convince me that both guys tried their hardest. It was like two friends rolling around to loosen up... Ben just seemed to "roll" a little better that Jake.
looked somewhat "controlled" especially in first two periods ... fun to watch it thou and hope they have more of the same going forward ... full house in attendance .... great to see the fan appeal....
Old 12-30-2010
Question Everything.

Send a message via AIM to HeadHunter130 MSHS Send a message via MSN to HeadHunter130 MSHS Send a message via Skype™ to HeadHunter130 MSHS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
looked somewhat "controlled" especially in first two periods ... fun to watch it thou and hope they have more of the same going forward ... full house in attendance .... great to see the fan appeal....
They said it would be a little controlled in the interview with Jake.
Old 12-30-2010
platitude/attitude buster

askren will be great for MMA....

it will also be interesting to see him develop in the pro fight world ...
Old 12-31-2010
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlantern View Post
I think Ben Askren is good for the sport.In my opinion the last exciting thing to happen in wrestling was Cael going to Penn State.
1. I think the rules in freestyle are boring beyond belief.
2. Jake Herbert has natural physical gifts that not every kid can duplicate. Ben Askren is a self proclaimed unathletic kid whose not strong but loves to wrestle. He found a strength and built upon that. You can teach that you cant teach Herberts genetic build.
3. When folk was boring Ben Askren made it exciting to come watch. Now we have Penn State and people are going to flock to nationals now to watch Penn State. He was a good promoter for those who love folk style
Gotta say I disagree with just about almost every comment. There's no way folkstyle is more exciting the freestyle. Folkstyle is too safe, too slow. Freestyle encourages big moves/explosiveness.

As far as Askren being unathletic that's a joke. Also he had one of the funkiest styles ever scene on the mat. Good luck teaching that.
Sponsored Links