Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 03-16-2017
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenskin View Post
Terrible non call on fleeing the mat, a textbook example. I haven't had the opportunity to see Lee wrestle before so I can't comment on how his injury affected him. I can say that Lee was gassed at the end. Ultimately, what cost him the match was really bad head position on the whizzer. He dropped his head,a cardinal sin, and DiSanto made him pay the price....and it was steep.

My only question is why wrestle a high school kid if he has an injury like that. I understand the kid wanting to wrestle, but it seems like an adult might have stepped in and kept him off the mat. I know a LOT was at stake but is it worth it. I don't know that other sports at the high school level put kids with these types of injuries in these situations.
If it is true that he had an ACL tear, there really is not a whole lot more damage that can be done. He is going to have to have reconstructive knee surgery. why not wrestle? I'm sure he was well advised as to any risks.
Old 03-16-2017
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
If it is true that he had an ACL tear, there really is not a whole lot more damage that can be done. He is going to have to have reconstructive knee surgery. why not wrestle? I'm sure he was well advised as to any risks.
Actually, depending on the initial injury, a lot more damage can be done. There are other ligaments in the knee besides an MCL not to mention cartilage that can only be removed, not effectively repaired. Major instability in a knee sets the joint up for more injury. I guess that's why I would think carefully before putting a kid with that injury out there. I wonder if the kid with a .500 record in the regionals would have gotten the same advice. I doubt that Lee's failure to wrestle would have impacted his scholarship offers. Just some observations to mull over.
Old 03-16-2017
Double stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenskin View Post
Actually, depending on the initial injury, a lot more damage can be done. There are other ligaments in the knee besides an MCL not to mention cartilage that can only be removed, not effectively repaired. Major instability in a knee sets the joint up for more injury. I guess that's why I would think carefully before putting a kid with that injury out there. I wonder if the kid with a .500 record in the regionals would have gotten the same advice. I doubt that Lee's failure to wrestle would have impacted his scholarship offers. Just some observations to mull over.
Indeed.

Torn ACL can lead to total knee blowout in a sport like wrestling. In the blink of an eye you can lose the MCL and LCL as well as destroying the non-replaceable meniscus cartilage.

Their decision. I just wanted it to be put out here for any kids reading. There's LOT more that can go wrong after a torn ACL.
Old 03-18-2017
Olympian

There's no point in making out Lee to be a villain. There was no villain in this match. It was a war between two really good wrestlers. You can argue whether Lee should have been out there or not, but once you make the decision to be out there, there are no excuses. Lee was clearly hanging on for dear life by the end and DeSanto was clearly pressing the action. The hunter caught the hunted. It's really as simple as that.
Old 03-19-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Sherrill View Post
There's no point in making out Lee to be a villain. There was no villain in this match. It was a war between two really good wrestlers. You can argue whether Lee should have been out there or not, but once you make the decision to be out there, there are no excuses. Lee was clearly hanging on for dear life by the end and DeSanto was clearly pressing the action. The hunter caught the hunted. It's really as simple as that.
mr . sherrill ...i respectfully disagree .Ever since he officially became a hawkeye you have watched his fanbase slowly shrink and more people begin to dislike his behavior.He disrespects his opponents even in wins at ironman and other big matches where guys have proven that he no longer is light years above the elite at his weight class he still IMO is he best in the country but he is beatable

he adapted the iowa style and attitude as well as feeling like you always need to be angry and show your opponents little respect even in victory and those things combined with his poor sportsmanship make him the villain ...right or wrong he will be judged by people that unfortunately comes with success

IMO he would have been a better fit under Cael at PSU where fun seems to be the focus or at OKLAHOMA State where his technical skills would only get better ....he is not a brands type wrestler who needs to beat ya up and grind out matches ...his skills will never reach their potential at iowa and he will spend his college years losing to guys like fix, suriano and Mueller
Old 03-19-2017
Olympian

So signing with Iowa made him a villain? I doubt it. If he's really as disrespectful to opponents as you claim - and I haven't seen that - then you're dead wrong by saying he'd have been a better fit at Penn State. If that's what Cael saw in him, Cael wouldn't have recruited him. He stopped recruiting Marsteller for similar reasons.
Old 03-19-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbln View Post
Lee was wrestling with a torn ACL, according to Flowrestling.
Lee is also flow wrestling's boy
Old 03-19-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low dribble View Post
What do you mean, "no excuses?" I hate that term. When people use it, they are basically saying, all things are equal, and this only happened because you failed.

Fact is, hardly ever are, all things equal. Sometimes a guy cuts to much weight, doesn't train enough, frankly-isn't good enough, got beat by better man, made a bad move, made a dumb move-penalty, was sick at the time, got caught, etc.... Oh, and sometimes you have a leg injury so servery you have to wear a huge leg brace, and can't use it at 100%, and then even though you have the lead when the clock reads, 0:00, the ref raises his hand and awards a takedown after the match is over.

If you really want to play this game that there are no excuses than really DeSanto should wreck his leg, wrestle with a brace, and then not receive a phantom call after the match is over.

I have no dog in this fight at all, I have never heard of either one of these kids in my life, and just watched the clip that was on the OP. It's just obvious to me, that there is a bias against this kid, and you comments about "daddie" making excuses just proves that. Wonder what YOU would say if your kid was in that same situation? Maybe he is the LaVar Ball of high school wrestling? I have no idea, but I imagine it was tough for him to watch the whole crowd cheering against his kid, who looked like he did everything necessary to go down in history, and the clock showing 0:00, and Lee up by one kind of proves it too.

Trivializing a victory? Yeah, I would say I am. If Lee was healthy, and the takedown was :02 earlier than it would mean more in my book. Nobody is reading that book anyway.... (are you trivializing a torn ACL?)
So do you think of Corrie Clark would've lost his dad and Corrie would've came out and say hey man I'm hurt don't think so
Old 03-19-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Sherrill View Post
So signing with Iowa made him a villain? I doubt it. If he's really as disrespectful to opponents as you claim - and I haven't seen that - then you're dead wrong by saying he'd have been a better fit at Penn State. If that's what Cael saw in him, Cael wouldn't have recruited him. He stopped recruiting Marsteller for similar reasons.
IM not saying he is a bad person ...did you watch the brands interview this weekend ?he was asked flat out after a weekend in which other than iowa fans his wrestlers were mostly cheered against by the rest of the building
He asked Brands if it will ever get better and Brands response was not as long as were relevant .
the villian term only comes with success and iowa embraces it when your successful and guys like Brands and Gillman emotions sometimes portray a negative image it does not mean your the devil.......you have a team in every sport that the majority of fans love to hate based on success and image

I NEVER said that is why Cael or Smith didnt recruit him .......up until he took on the hawkeye persona which is fine if thats his decision
he was the poster child .....some like being the team everyone but the loyal lifelong fans love to see lose and every arena is sold out when you show up is an athletes dream

LEE behavior at ironman was disrespectful as well as at ohio tournament his interviews post match he dont give guys credit for giving him a good match he makes up reasons why .....he throws his headgear off the mat even when winning championships ...the state of ohio until this year was always in his corner until tis recently when he became a Gillman in the making and turned off some people ...
and that is public knowledge

PSU AND OKLAHOMA STATE have better reputations as having fun and letting your wrestling speak for itself and that is a fact ..im not saying iowa is wrong or bad for a kid just a different mindset

by the way why would they have recruited LEE at PSU OR OSU ?he would be a backup to fix and Suriano
Old 03-19-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar foot View Post
So do you think of Corrie Clark would've lost his dad and Corrie would've came out and say hey man I'm hurt don't think so
I'm not being a smarta$$, but I have no idea who Clark is or what you are talking about.
Sponsored Links