Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 03-13-2017
Olympian

As much as I love the current venue for the history, maybe it is time to look at other venues. I was following the FR/SO tournament on trackwrestling and saw they had 12 mats going. Having that many mats would allow for the full wrestlebacks easily. I know that Assembly Hall (State Farm Center) has a capacity of 15,500. Prairie Capital Convention Center holds about 7,700. How often is the state tournament filled to capacity? Anyone have attendance numbers from the individual state tournament?
Old 03-13-2017
Devils Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrunner1215 View Post
As much as I love the current venue for the history, maybe it is time to look at other venues. I was following the FR/SO tournament on trackwrestling and saw they had 12 mats going. Having that many mats would allow for the full wrestlebacks easily. I know that Assembly Hall (State Farm Center) has a capacity of 15,500. Prairie Capital Convention Center holds about 7,700. How often is the state tournament filled to capacity? Anyone have attendance numbers from the individual state tournament?
I agree - It seems like 70% are traveling a hell of a lot farther than than the 5% would have to. A good problem is that the capacity of 7700 would be to small. because the Attendence would probably double due to more people in the metropolitan would now show up for the event.
Old 03-13-2017
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole's Opionion View Post
I agree - It seems like 70% are traveling a hell of a lot farther than than the 5% would have to. A good problem is that the capacity of 7700 would be to small. because the Attendence would probably double due to more people in the metropolitan would now show up for the event.
This venue for Fr/So State is in Springfield. Is 7700 too small?
Old 03-13-2017
Crystal Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Dobler View Post
That is the point, that match happens now. You might think that giving a walkover in a placement match is a good idea, but I do not. I would say most wrestlers and fans want that match to happen. Your opinion, but is there a tournament now that allows walkovers in placement matches? I know if none.
I know of three:
Freestyle State
Greco State
Illinois Fargo Qualifier Second Chance
Old 03-14-2017
Devils Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrunner1215 View Post
This venue for Fr/So State is in Springfield. Is 7700 too small?
I think Springfield is to far. I think we need to be in the Chicago Metropolitan area to draw the most interest of fans. I think that Northwestern- All State Areana and perhaps the Sears's Center would get the. Hugest bang for the buck. I think you would get huge turnouts from youth wrestlers that want to come watch at their convenience. It would be much much better for the IHSA and Illinois wrestling g. 7700 would be to small
Old 03-14-2017
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole's Opionion View Post
I think Springfield is to far. I think we need to be in the Chicago Metropolitan area to draw the most interest of fans. I think that Northwestern- All State Areana and perhaps the Sears's Center would get the. Hugest bang for the buck. I think you would get huge turnouts from youth wrestlers that want to come watch at their convenience. It would be much much better for the IHSA and Illinois wrestling g. 7700 would be to small
Has anyone else even bid on the individual tournament? It certainly comes up for bid every few years. A similar topic came up about team state always being in Bloomington; one poster (who seemed to be in the know) stated that no other bids were received the last time it went up. Got to meet the IHSA part way.

Champaign is relatively centrally located. 3A people would do well to remember that there a lot of 2A and 1A schools outside of I-80 and I-55.

I had to laugh a few weeks ago when obvious Chicago area posters were complaining about the price of hotel rooms in Champaign. Have they priced them in Chicagoland lately?
Old 03-14-2017
Varsity

Send a message via MSN to mgcoach
i would guess the 7,700 capacity is when the floor seats are out also. The Fr/So venue is way to small.
Old 03-14-2017
Olympian

Send a message via AIM to Radical
If the IHSA really wanted to make Illinois a premier state and the state tournament one of the toughest in country then it would consolidate the individual tournament into a single class. The same amount of wrestlers would qualify for the state tournament, 48 wrestlers per class, the top 8 place. The schedule would generally be:

Thursday – pigtails followed by a round of 32 and a round of wrestlebacks.

Friday morning – the round of 16 and wrestlebacks

Friday afternoon – quarter finals and wrestlebacks

Saturday morning/afternoon – semifinals and wrestlebacks all the way to third place

Saturday evening – finals

Sectionals and qualifying would be divided so that small schools are appropriately represented. This will also ensure that spectators come and stay for the day as opposed just for the class that their school is in. We would then have the premier state tournament in the country.

The dual tournament would remain three classes.

Increasing participation at the high school level does not necessarily mean adding high school teams. Participation begins at the middle school and grade school level with the IKWF and, to some extent, the IESA. This is the main reason that Illinois is among the elite wrestling states. Adding high school programs not nearly as significant as a strong and growing IKWF.
Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules, and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence: in other words it is war minus the shooting. George Orwell, Shooting an Elephant, "The Sporting Spirit", 1950
Old 03-16-2017

How about a de-multipliers for schools who haven't sniffed a regional title in the past 20 years, they can drop down a class, maybe have some success which might help their numbers? There was some awfully tough 3a sectionals and regionals where really some really quality kids didn't make it out. It would at least eliminate some near empty brackets in A and AA if they had more teams.
Old 03-18-2017
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical View Post
If the IHSA really wanted to make Illinois a premier state and the state tournament one of the toughest in country then it would consolidate the individual tournament into a single class. The same amount of wrestlers would qualify for the state tournament, 48 wrestlers per class, the top 8 place. The schedule would generally be:

Thursday pigtails followed by a round of 32 and a round of wrestlebacks.

Friday morning the round of 16 and wrestlebacks

Friday afternoon quarter finals and wrestlebacks

Saturday morning/afternoon semifinals and wrestlebacks all the way to third place

Saturday evening finals

Sectionals and qualifying would be divided so that small schools are appropriately represented. This will also ensure that spectators come and stay for the day as opposed just for the class that their school is in. We would then have the premier state tournament in the country.

The dual tournament would remain three classes.

Increasing participation at the high school level does not necessarily mean adding high school teams. Participation begins at the middle school and grade school level with the IKWF and, to some extent, the IESA. This is the main reason that Illinois is among the elite wrestling states. Adding high school programs not nearly as significant as a strong and growing IKWF.
"Sectionals and qualifying" would be divided how? What would you consider "appropriate" representation for smaller schools? Because coaches from bigger schools are campaigning for more for them and less for the smaller schools - some of them on this site.
Sponsored Links