Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 01-31-2020
Olympian

The REAL Super Bowl tonight...

So, what with the 49ers deploying former Bears Robbie Gould and practice squadder Raheem Mostert, it becomes easier for this Bears fan to form an affinity for the Niners to prevail on Sunday.

I find the SB LIV match-up extremely interesting for Bears fans. It's the team they're TRYING to be (Chiefs, Nagy being a Reid tree descendant) vs. the team fans would LIKE THEM to be (Niners with their great rushing attack and defense).

In much the same way I find myself pulling for the Hawkeyes tonight. The Illinois connection to kids I literally watched grow up is unmistakable. Very easy to root for them.

Anyone with hate for Penn State, well... this seems to be the night for you! I really thought Ohio State had them last time. The level of competition was such that I wasn't sure what sport it was any longer that Illinois participates it... because if THAT was what wrestling looks like then they're doing something markedly superior to anything I had seen up until then.

That being said, if Penn State were to somehow prevail tonight -- and I do not see a path to it -- but if they were able... well, for starters, it would be certainly fair to think Cael's half mil salary is money well-spent.

I think the Joseph/Marinelli match up is very intriguing. Same with 174 and 184 and 197. And HWT now that I think about it. Upper weight guy's dream...

Should be fun to watch.

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Old 01-31-2020
Olympian

Jaydin Eierman name appeared last night in the Iowa student directory.Not sure what that means but classes did start on Jan 21
Old 01-31-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by calotofwrestling View Post
Jaydin Eierman name appeared last night in the Iowa student directory.Not sure what that means but classes did start on Jan 21
Doesn't mean anything other than that he is doing exactly what he has widely been reported to be doing. He is taking an Olympic redshirt year while transferring to Iowa before using his final year of NCAA eligibility competing for the Hawkeyes in the 2020-2021 season. It works out perfectly for the Hawks as their #3 nationally ranked wrestler in Pat Lugo graduates this year.
Old 01-31-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
Doesn't mean anything other than that he is doing exactly what he has widely been reported to be doing. He is taking an Olympic redshirt year while transferring to Iowa before using his final year of NCAA eligibility competing for the Hawkeyes in the 2020-2021 season. It works out perfectly for the Hawks as their #3 nationally ranked wrestler in Pat Lugo graduates this year.
He won't wrestle tonight.But they now have options at 141 with Murin shoulder issues.His plan was to Olympic RS and not enroll in school
Old 01-31-2020
Olympian

Quote:
He won't wrestle tonight.But they now have options at 141 with Murin shoulder issues.His plan was to Olympic RS and not enroll in school
Can Turk make 141?
Old 01-31-2020
Varsity

Quote:
You have to wonder if some Iowa fan was searching the directory every few hours thinking “Maybe today will be the day!”
Old 01-31-2020
Varsity

3 things that I can always count on when I watch a dual at Iowa:

1) The "knowledgeable" Iowa fans are the worst fans in college wrestling.
- Put simply, if the tables were turned and the Iowa wrestler was blocking off, not letting (the opposing teams) wrestler take him down, would they still be screaming for stalling?
Why is it "good wrestling" when it's the Iowa wrestler doing it, but "stalling" when (the opposing wrestler) is doing it?

2) The referees are, without a doubt, the most sus​cep​ti​ble-to-fan-influence referees there are.
The ref tonight must have walked to Carver from his house 3 blocks away....

See above rant....

3) I am always surprised with my renewed, and elevated hatred for Iowa wrestling.

Could there possibly be a team out there, mostly the coaches and fanbase, who feel they are more entitled to everything than Iowa wrestling?

Your team is great.
Your tradition is great.
Your coaches are great.
You are probably going to win the team title.

ACT LIKE YOU'VE BEEN THERE BEFORE.....

Not that it should matter, but I don't like Pedophile State either....

Honorable mention: I am increasingly surprised that they still have Tim Johnson announce televised wrestling.
This guy is the Lou Holtz of college wrestling.
It is actually embarrassing for wrestling, and for him, when he does nationally televised events.

He is not helping the sport of wrestling.
Old 02-01-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clearly View Post
3 things that I can always count on when I watch a dual at Iowa:

2) The referees are, without a doubt, the most sus​cep​ti​ble-to-fan-influence referees there are.
The ref tonight must have walked to Carver from his house 3 blocks away....
I was surprised to see that ref (sorry I dont know his name) doing the biggest dual of the year. I remember last year Illinois at NW he actually apologized to Heffernan about one of his crappy calls.

That being said I thought the ref in the Illinois-MSU dual tonight was worse.
Old 02-01-2020
Varsity

The reffing in Iowa was about where I expected it to be. They always fold a little to fan base influence. However, I'm gonna say Iowa doesn't win the NCAA this year and Penn St squeaks it out undermanned. Two words: BONUS POINTS. Penn St works for them, Iowa does not.
Old 02-01-2020
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagle 157 View Post
The reffing in Iowa was about where I expected it to be. They always fold a little to fan base influence. However, I'm gonna say Iowa doesn't win the NCAA this year and Penn St squeaks it out undermanned. Two words: BONUS POINTS. Penn St works for them, Iowa does not.
Iowa has as many if not more bonus point producers this year. If Iowa is healthy (concerns at 33/41) I don't think bonus points will matter either way.

PSU is not undermanned (see the dual?), just not a juggernaut this year. Iowa is exceptionally good this year and has a realistic shot to do what has only been done once before- 10 AA. While PSU probably will not AA 125/149/197/285.

If the starters are not healthy that is 25 or so points in the wind for Iowa at 133/141 and all bets are off.