Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 02-16-2020
Varsity

Some matches

Spangler vs. Blanton was a big one. Spangler pulling out to a big lead with 3 takedowns in the 1st I believe then Blanton wore him out and gassed him.

Kyle Williams vs. Russ Weil in 2005 at 215 was a big one. Williams a freak athlete #1 LB in the country and 5-star recruit and a very good wrestler. Weil the returning State Champ. Went to OT and Weil got the Takedown.
Old 02-17-2020
Varsity

What was the big match last year where the kid from Sandburg injury defaulted in the sectional finals and then gutted out some very impressive wins at state?
Old 02-17-2020
Junior Varsity

At 285 this year. Second round match could be PC Boersmo 41-3. Ranked first all year versus CS Bosco 40-0. Ranked first now. I picked this for the finals. But Boersmo was upset and pinned in the Regional finals. Then Boersmo lost first round of the sectional. He then went 4-0 in wrestle backs to take third. Bosco of CS won the sectional but was tested. He was on a 10+ match pin streak. He had a first round bye and a pin in the quarters. 3-2 win in the semi's against Gonzalez of OPRF. Won the title 8-5 in OT against Grant of MT C. I would say this could be one of the biggest early matches of the tournament.
Old 02-17-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyourtoes View Post
What was the big match last year where the kid from Sandburg injury defaulted in the sectional finals and then gutted out some very impressive wins at state?
At 138 at sectionals, Pat Nolan suffered a leg injury in the semis against Ryan Fleck. He gutted out a victory over Conner Gaynor in the blood round. He went on to take 6th at state. In his first match at state, Luke Odom suffered a concussion. He continued and lost to Nolan. However he was not able to continue. He now has his eyes on his first state championship and is odds on favorite to ger it.
Old 02-17-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
Hey old timers - what are some of the more famous semi matches that should have been finals?

I have no comment on this one - because a trip to the finals is not a given, but some of the best matches are in the 1/4's and finals because so many champs happen to be pretty dominant.
1989 semi final Joey Gilbert vs Ryan Schafer. Gilbert was going for his 4th title. Schafer was a defending champion set on stopping him. Before the internet and social media, the anticipation for this was incredible. Bets being placed in the stands. Schafer took him down but Gilbert pinned him at 1:43. Still my favorite memory of the state tournament.
Old 02-17-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by old105 View Post
1989 semi final Joey Gilbert vs Ryan Schafer. Gilbert was going for his 4th title. Schafer was a defending champion set on stopping him. Before the internet and social media, the anticipation for this was incredible. Bets being placed in the stands. Schafer took him down but Gilbert pinned him at 1:43. Still my favorite memory of the state tournament.
Remember this match well. There are many more going back to the 70's and 80's, just not worth my time thinking about it.
Sponsored Links