Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 02-17-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by formersomeone View Post
How many wrestlers in Montini's lineup are not transfers nor kids who have been in lineup since freshmen year? DO they have any kids who were on their JV for a year or two that have finally broken into the lineup and having success?
I think it's 2 maybe? 170 and 195?
Old 02-17-2020

Congratulations to Montini on having an excellent program and to the parents that are willing to invest so much in tuition for their kids.
Old 02-17-2020
World Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by formersomeone View Post
How many wrestlers in Montini's lineup are not transfers nor kids who have been in lineup since freshmen year? DO they have any kids who were on their JV for a year or two that have finally broken into the lineup and having success?
Are you insinuating that Monitini is only successful because of transfers? Yes they do have wrestler from JV. A good one at 113 in fact that didn't make varsity his freshman year.
Old 02-17-2020
Varsity

Stop it Chino! Gonzalez would've started on most teams had it not been for Vasquez at the same weight
Old 02-17-2020
FAN

Either way you chop it up, sending 14 to state is impressive as a team. Congratulations to the young men and their coaches for their hard work throughout the season to this point.
Old 02-17-2020
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWTilt View Post
What's so impressive?
It's a toss up between the hatred and the jealousy.
Old 02-17-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWTilt View Post
Are they a good team....yes. But why do we praise a program that can actively recruit kids to fill spots. There are no real "down" years because they have a good coach that can go out and replace a good kid with another good kid. These programs that actively recruit (public or private) most likely skirt the hydration testing as well with their own "tester".

For a public school that doesn't recruit or manipulate the hydration testing and has success year in and year out, those are the ones that we should be praising on here. Just my 2 cents.
Last time I checked the same rules have always applied. And if anything they have gotten harder with the success factor. Don’t recall any other pgm sending 14. Last time I checked, these kids are NOT gods. If you want to beat them, then work harder then them.

Last edited by ToughestSportEver; 02-17-2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2020
World Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachgonzalez View Post
Stop it Chino! Gonzalez would've started on most teams had it not been for Vasquez at the same weight
Oh for sure...but the thread was indicating that the varsity roster had nobody that was on Montini jv at some point. He went to the best place possible even if it meant noy being on varsity the 1st year.
Old 02-17-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughestSportEver View Post
Last time I checked the same rules have always applied. And if anything they have gotten harder with the success factor. Don’t recall any other pgm sending 14. Last time I checked, these kids are NOT gods. If you want to beat them, then work harder then them.
Work harder at what? Actual wrestling or finding kids to transfer in for the holes you have in the future?

Don't give me this ******** line about how they work harder than everyone. Lots of kids in this state work hard, not just kids that go to Montini. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited by barzagar; 02-17-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-17-2020
Varsity

I'm not a hater. Izzy is a great coach. Montini and Mt. Carmel are awesome teams, great wrestlers. They get to recruit and they have to, I get it. A public league school outside of OPRF cannot recruit, they need to find other ways to stock their teams and continue to bring in new talent.

Montini has a kid from Round Lake and one from Buffalo Grove, they recruited two really good kids, one from Yorkville and one from Metea Valley. Again, I get it, they wanted to wrestle with and against the best.

Having 14 kids downstate is amazing, but these are not homegrown kids so let's be realistic.

Looking forward to this weekend.
Sponsored Links