Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 02-22-2020
Shikellamy Braves

Looks like all 4 Barrington Sectional wrestlers will place in top 4. Does this happen often?
Old 02-22-2020
Olympian

Great showing out of the sectional! Great question. I think with only for sectionals it probably happens a little more than it did in the old days. I remember a few times back when first through third qualified that the first through third placed in that order. Or a variation of that.
Old 02-22-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpioneer View Post
Great showing out of the sectional! Great question. I think with only for sectionals it probably happens a little more than it did in the old days. I remember a few times back when first through third qualified that the first through third placed in that order. Or a variation of that.
First time I’ve heard of it. Sectionals have placed 4 several times (Quincy 285 did it this year with 1 or 2, 3, 5 and 6).

I know the 1A 138 Oregon Sectional had 5 of the final 8 (an alternate got in the field) which has to be a first but only 3 placed.

Last edited by ctdad; 02-22-2020 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2020
Olympian

Another first this year could happen in 2A; the 3 Bailey brothers from TFN are going for titles. As of this writing, Nasir and Sincere have already won and Bilal is on the mat.

3 brothers have won titles before but not in the same year.
Old 02-22-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarion167 View Post
Looks like all 4 Barrington Sectional wrestlers will place in top 4. Does this happen often?
Remember three kids from Yorkville regional, who finished 1-2-3: Vruno, Fisher and Wyeth, then.same trio get through sectional and placed top three at state. Think Fisher on the top, Vruno second, and Wyeth third...
Old 02-22-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdad View Post
First time I’ve heard of it. Sectionals have placed 4 several times (Quincy 285 did it this year with 1 or 2, 3, 5 and 6).

I know the 1A 138 Oregon Sectional had 5 of the final 8 (an alternate got in the field) which has to be a first but only 3 placed.
The one weight class I was thinking about was 125 early 2000’s. Gomez GN and Castillo LT I think there were some other kids from Naperville area that were in that mix of three state qualifiers. I think they all placed.
Old 02-22-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdad View Post

There were 4 kids that all came through from regionals, sections, state - top 4 four in each and a different kid won each. It was SW, one of the kids went to Lincolnway or LW Central & one of them went on to U of I. About 7 years ago maybe...it used to be easy to find that stuff on the IHSA site, not so since they rolled things up by year.

What the best match of semi's? which best in finals?
Old 02-22-2020

It sounds like you’re thinking of the year with Kyle Langenderfer Lincoln-way east, Collin Holler Sandburg, and the champ was Mike Togher Providence. Langenderfer went to U of I.
Old 02-22-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle Master View Post
It sounds like you’re thinking of the year with Kyle Langenderfer Lincoln-way east, Collin Holler Sandburg, and the champ was Mike Togher Providence. Langenderfer went to U of I.
Spangler from Joliet was also going to be in that mix at Regionals and Sectionals with the other three.
He went up a weight and actually placed at state at the higher weight.
Old 02-22-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwm57 View Post
Spangler from Joliet was also going to be in that mix at Regionals and Sectionals with the other three.
He went up a weight and actually placed at state at the higher weight.
Granite City sectional 135 in 2011, my son’s senior year (he was in a tough bracket higher up but nothing like that one). Langenderfer, Holler, Togher and Spangler were ranked 2, 3, 4, 5 and were all in the same regional. Spangler said the heck with this and went up a weight and placed at 140.

That Granite City sectional bracket also has previous qualifiers Jake Gregerson and Blake Montella in it.

At least Spangler had the option that year. The Granite City 285 Regional this year has 4 top 10 guys in it and that fed the Quincy sectional that added 3 or 4 more. The big guys can’t move to a different weight quite so easily.

Last edited by ctdad; 02-22-2020 at 11:36 PM.
Sponsored Links