Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Old 04-15-2019
Varsity

Exclamation IKWF Meeting

April meeting was Sunday

19 proposals will be up for a FULL vote in August.

Most are administrative and some will be seen on a daily basis.

The more important one to people (IMO)

Proposals for By-law changes - 2019

***A wrestler cannot wrestler from other teams to compete with them at out-of-state allstar tournaments during the IKWF competition season.
No more traveling teams made up of other clubs DURING the IKWF competitive season.

***Double elimination throughout the IKWF State Series.
(Note: Regionals are currently double elimination)
Rockford will be roughly 8 am until 10 pm on both Friday and Saturday.
A lot of the ceremonial stuff/parade/ will be eliminated
Shorter breaks
Stage would stay
Sectional would be 2.5 to 3 hours longer too

Any person who is in eighth grade or below and not fifteen prior to Regionals of the current wrestling season.
If you turn 15 before Regionals no IKWF participation/State

Senior Division: There are currently 18 weight classifications:
NEW WEIGHTS----70, 74,79,84 90, 96, 103, 110, 118, 126, 135, 144, 154, 164, 176, 188, 215, 260
Note: Number of weight classes remains at 18.

Novice Division: There are currently 17 weight classifications:
NEW WEIGHTS---60, 64, 69, 74, 80, 86, 93, 100, 108 116, 125, 134, 154, 178
Number would go to 14

Intermediate Division: There are currently 18 weight classifications:
NEW WEIGHTS---50, 54, 59, 64,70, 76, 83, 90, 98, 106, 115, 125, 134, 156
Number would go to 14

Email your Sectional director if you want your voice to be heard on these matters.

All Sectional directors emails are listed at ikwf.org

Last edited by In the Know; 04-15-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2019
Varsity

There goes senior numbers if 15 year old wrestlers are banned.
Old 04-15-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Know View Post

Any person who is in eighth grade or below and not fifteen prior to Regionals of the current wrestling season.
If you turn 15 before Regionals no IKWF participation/State
This is hilarious.

Right after we got done changing the effective age date from Jan 1 to September 1, now we want to effectively change it back?

Only this time, assuming we keep the start of regionals mid February, you're only excluding holdback kids with Jan 1 - Feb 15 birthdays?

NOW you finally want to go back to AGE-based criteria. Just like it was before all the holdback hysteria started a few years ago?

ONLY THIS TIME you want to make the effective age date 2/15 (or thereabouts) instead of Jan 1?

LOL. So any holdbacks with birthdays AFTER 2/15 present no problem? Or are we waiting until next year to add some more rules about that?

This has become a clown show.

I'd love to know who submitted this gem.

The IKWF is becoming like a broken watch that somehow DOESN'T show the correct time twice a day.

Always fun riding the holdback crusade merry-go-round.

OMG I came for the wrestling and now stay for the comedy.

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

ďBeing honest may not get you a lot of friends but itíll always get you the right ones.Ē -- John Lennon
Old 04-15-2019

Keep it about wrestling screw politics

***A wrestler cannot wrestler from other teams to compete with them at out-of-state allstar tournaments during the IKWF competition season.
No more traveling teams made up of other clubs DURING the IKWF competitive season.

The fact that IKWF even allows this to be brought to the table is ridiculous. Every kid should have the right to wrestle where ever they want. Kids love dual/ out of state tournaments. I'm all for supporting IL tournaments but taking opportunities away is not a good look.
Old 04-15-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t71411 View Post

The fact that IKWF even allows this to be brought to the table is ridiculous. Every kid should have the right to wrestle where ever they want. Kids love dual/ out of state tournaments. I'm all for supporting IL tournaments but taking opportunities away is not a good look.

So how are you FOR supporting IL tournaments AND sending kids away from IL tournaments at the same time?

This might SOUND like more facetious nonsense from me but on second glance, it's actually a legitimate question...

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

ďBeing honest may not get you a lot of friends but itíll always get you the right ones.Ē -- John Lennon
Old 04-15-2019

We go to a lot of tournaments in IL but we also like to go to dual/individual out of state tournaments during the IKWF season. Its a great opportunity that all kids should do if they have the chance. Just think you should be able to do both. It would be nice to bring in bigger tournaments to IL. Just seems like to much politics in IK right now needs to be more about how do we keep kids interest in wrestling. Just my take
Old 04-15-2019

When IK moved bday cutoff up from 12/31 to 9/1, it became more difficult to police who was or likely was heldback. The 9/1 cutoff allowed kids to be older per division. The new rule would make it easier to monitor who was likely heldback and it wouldnt just be the kids turning 15 in January. It helps prevent the even older holdbacks w/ 9/2-2/15 bdays.

Preventing kids from travelling w/ "allstar" duals makes no sense considering IL doesnt offer but a couple duals all year which only a handful of kids can participate anyways. To be honest, since intermediates get no real state series anyone 9 and under can easily form duals still if only consequence is cant compete in regionals and sectionals so big deal. If no STATE, regional and sectionals doesnt = state SERIES.

If I could suggest a rule change. How bout making it more affordable to be a spectator to even watch state series. I remember when Husky Nationals was cancelled and everyone applauded it. They claimed nothing but a money grab for $30 weekend floor passes. Those were weekend floor/coaches passes. For the people who have yet to go down to rockford to watch "from the stands" wait til you see what that cost for not just adults but kids just to be a spectator at state. The split sessions, multiple parking fees, 2 days at rockford for 2 kids & 2 adults is every bit of $160-$200 and thats just to watch and the $160 is assuming you buy the weekend pass.

Also go back to charging coaches the whopping $3-$5/ head cuz it sure beats the new prices of $25/kid to compete when just 2 years ago it was $15/kid to compete. Just my .02c
Old 04-15-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth is Out There View Post
This is hilarious.

Right after we got done changing the effective age date from Jan 1 to September 1, now we want to effectively change it back?

Only this time, assuming we keep the start of regionals mid February, you're only excluding holdback kids with Jan 1 - Feb 15 birthdays?

NOW you finally want to go back to AGE-based criteria. Just like it was before all the holdback hysteria started a few years ago?

ONLY THIS TIME you want to make the effective age date 2/15 (or thereabouts) instead of Jan 1?

LOL. So any holdbacks with birthdays AFTER 2/15 present no problem? Or are we waiting until next year to add some more rules about that?

This has become a clown show.

I'd love to know who submitted this gem.

The IKWF is becoming like a broken watch that somehow DOESN'T show the correct time twice a day.

Always fun riding the holdback crusade merry-go-round.

OMG I came for the wrestling and now stay for the comedy.

The Twisters had 2 holdbacks this year that competed in the IKWF. Itís seems everyone knew about it but still managed to bring home some bracket boards. Just need to ask them where they get their fake birth certificates from and youíll be OK. If thereís a will thereís a way.
Old 04-15-2019
Varsity

I figured there would be a few responses about the traveling out of state proposal so here goes. If individuals want to travel out of state for individual tournaments have at it.
If a club put the time in and builds their own program to compete in out of state events, have at it.
What we have now is club leaders cherry picking kids from other clubs to feed their own ego or build a team around their own kid to travel. Here is a thought, build your own club and develop your own wrestlers to compete at such an event. Oh wait, itís a lot easier to pick up the phone. The IKWF would be a better organization in more coaches focused on building their own programs. Now letís hear from all the anonymous posters.
Old 04-15-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth is Out There View Post
So how are you FOR supporting IL tournaments AND sending kids away from IL tournaments at the same time?

This might SOUND like more facetious nonsense from me but on second glance, it's actually a legitimate question...
I'm not a big fan of this as well. My son is a pretty good wrestler who loves wrestling and competing but isn't a 'first class' type kid. So if he's waiting for an ALL ILLINOIS team, well then he's never going to get to compete at these events. He wrestled in 13 track registered IKWF events this season and 2 'banned' events. I think he supports IKWF plenty.

Good Example...this weekend there were 3 'age appropriate' team events he COULD have participated in. He wasn't asked to participate in any - and looking at the kids who DID compete - that was the correct call. 2 of the kids he's never beaten and 1 of the kids he's about 1 - 427 against. And realistically looking at the 'depth chart', there's probably another 2 - 5 kids ahead of him in the pecking order. So he's probably a top 5ish kid in the state, but can't compete?

For some of these kids, going to these out of state events is a great BOOST to get them through a long season and a great way to make friends and strengthen bonds among the kids of similar attitudes, abilities and expectations.

Thinking of the kids I see participating in these types of events, these are kids who LOVE wrestling/competing and I regularly see the majority of them all over town wrestling the weekends for IKWF when they're in town.

I think a bigger issue regarding participation more than All Star teams taking a dozen kids out of the state for a weekend is teams that have rosters of 40-50 kids who only send a dozen out during the weekends.
Sponsored Links