Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Old 04-15-2019
Varsity

I have a question for anyone who can clarify 1 rule change. If a kid travels out of state to compete on a dual team, is it safe to assume its ok as long as its not ran by another IL team?

An example would be if a Wisconsin team reached out to me to inquire about 1 of my kids, since its not being assembled by several IL coaches or teams, is that then acceptable during the season?

Btw, onyourtoes your kid is a first class kid in my book. Very respectful kid. Just wanted to say that for the record

Last edited by 2on1; 04-15-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-15-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on1 View Post
I have a question for anyone who can clarify 1 rule change. If a kid travels out of state to compete on a dual team, is it safe to assume its ok as long as its not ran by another IL team?

An example would be if a Wisconsin team reached out to me to inquire about 1 of my kids, since its not being assembled by several IL coaches or teams, is that then acceptable during the season?

Btw, onyourtoes your kid is a first class kid in my book. Very respectful kid. Just wanted to say that for the record
Thanks bud. Very much appreciated. You know what I think of your guys as well!
Old 04-15-2019

As in most things in life it's hard to make everyone happy, and I see both sides of the coin here. However I think banning these "All-Star" teams during the IKWF season is not a good approach in ensuring that Illinois team wrestling represents well on the National scale.

My son has been fortunate to have participated on Illinois "All-Star" teams with mixed success. The bottom line is he absolutely loves the blessed experiences he has had doing so, and he will be heartbroken that those future team experiences could possibly be taken away from him. At the end of the day isn't it, or shouldn't it be what the kids want? I mean it is called the IKWF right?

With enrollment numbers so low and the need for numbers to increase, what is wrong with giving the newer to wrestling kids more of a level playing field a weekend here or there during the season? While "All-Star" team wrestlers travel to other states to compete at the highest of talent level? The flip side what enjoyment does a veteran wrestler get out of pinning a newer to the sport wrestler in 15 seconds? Who's really benefiting here?
Old 04-15-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus_TheBarber_Beefcake View Post
The Twisters had 2 holdbacks this year that competed in the IKWF. It’s seems everyone knew about it but still managed to bring home some bracket boards. Just need to ask them where they get their fake birth certificates from and you’ll be OK. If there’s a will there’s a way.
So did some other clubs. Some near and dear to my heart too.

I've become something of a resident expert on holdbacks. I can't tell you the number of people I've helped... no SERIOUSLY I literally can't tell you!

LOL.

The witch-hunt mentality accomplishes nothing positive.

Those who are willing will work within the system to achieve what they want. This proven again and again every year.

When do you smarten up and just say that any kid that is permitted to attend Middle school is permitted to participate in IKWF wrestling.

So unbelievably stupid.

I have yet to see even one kid who achieved something at 15 that they likely couldn't have done at 14 or 13.

People who do this aren't as focused on earning an IKWF State title as has been reported. It's more about setting yourself up for success in HS.

End the madness. Grade school kids should be allowed to wrestle in youth wrestling with the only restriction being you aren't 16 (which is technically impossible but there might be exceptions I'm unaware of)

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Old 04-15-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleanSweep View Post
As in most things in life it's hard to make everyone happy, and I see both sides of the coin here. However I think banning these "All-Star" teams during the IKWF season is not a good approach in ensuring that Illinois team wrestling represents well on the National scale.

My son has been fortunate to have participated on Illinois "All-Star" teams with mixed success. The bottom line is he absolutely loves the blessed experiences he has had doing so, and he will be heartbroken that those future team experiences could possibly be taken away from him. At the end of the day isn't it, or shouldn't it be what the kids want? I mean it is called the IKWF right?

With enrollment numbers so low and the need for numbers to increase, what is wrong with giving the newer to wrestling kids more of a level playing field a weekend here or there during the season? While "All-Star" team wrestlers travel to other states to compete at the highest of talent level? The flip side what enjoyment does a veteran wrestler get out of pinning a newer to the sport wrestler in 15 seconds? Who's really benefiting here?
Yeah.... so the answer is send your good kids out of state a few weeks so the not so good kids can have a better weekend?

Yeah. You get it.

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Old 04-15-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t71411 View Post
We go to a lot of tournaments in IL but we also like to go to dual/individual out of state tournaments during the IKWF season. Its a great opportunity that all kids should do if they have the chance. Just think you should be able to do both. It would be nice to bring in bigger tournaments to IL. Just seems like to much politics in IK right now needs to be more about how do we keep kids interest in wrestling. Just my take
Bottom line is there seem to be more and more of these teams popping up. Last count I saw about 5-6 from Illinois. Now factor in there's usually an up to 8th grade team and a below 6th grade team so double the departures.

Geez, since literally EVERY other state allows holdbacks and everyone is clamoring to go wrestle somewhere else for the experience, one might infer that competition vs. all middle school eligible ages is what's desired.

Old 04-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth is Out There View Post
Yeah.... so the answer is send your good kids out of state a few weeks so the not so good kids can have a better weekend?

Yeah. You get it.
Kev, shouldn't that be my son's choice and not yours or the ikwf board members?
Old 04-15-2019

Why is there a problem with doing 1 or 2 out of state dual tournaments during the IKWF season if he participates in 10 IKWF tournaments during the year which includes regionals, sectionals, and IKWF state tournaments? It seems like a lot of wrestling clubs in a particular sectional do a lot of the same tournaments every weekend. Guess what? Your kid ends up wrestling the same kid 4 or 5 times during the IKWF season. I think it's a good thing to get your son a little out of state competition against stronger wrestlers to help get him ready for high school wrestling later on!
Old 04-15-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Best said comment. The only obligation any parent has is to their child and whats best for them and makes them happy. Passing this rule making it impossible for kids to combine w/ others to form teams, dont IE and IK kids make up several seperate IK teams. These are opportunities for kids to expand, have fun, form new friendships. If this rule passes, next rule will be no out of state in season tournaments. Some teams dont wrestle past December. Some clubs dont have the roster size to enter duals. Ive said it before and il say it again, imo duals are the best part of the sport. The adults may have disdain or competitive bitterness toward another club but ever see those same said clubs form dual teams together. Kids all get along and have fun. Isnt that whats most important?
Old 04-15-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Klean, I have certainly participated in these events with both of my sons.

Mostly they were post season but a few in-season mixed in with Coach Elias and Coach King back in the day... (hi guys!)

We won every dual meet event we went to. AAU, Heartland, etc. because those teams were built to win not so that some coach's kid would get a chance to be on a team or some other coach could recruit away a couple of potential stud partners.

I remember three Illinois teams typically going. A few of the kids on the other teams could have been good choices for the teams my sons were on but for whatever reason...

Here's where we are now: participation overall is down. NUmber of clubs is way up. Number of actual quality clubs is way down.

Furthermore, number of dual teams going out of state routinely is way up. Number of out-of-state opportunities are also way up.

Charity begins at home. If we don't support the organization we all belong to it will be impacted. Make no mistake. IKWF is strong but no one is THAT strong.

Clubs use tournaments to make ends meet. You blow off any club's tournament, they're likely to return the favor. If your club doesn't run a tournament then I guess you won't care until you see it crumbling around you. Well... those aren't cookie crumbs.

I was told IKWF Gold recently got dusted by Oregon in a duals event. OREGON! Never happened on my watch. The overall quality and depth of wrestlers being produced is headed in the wrong direction mainly for many of the reasons I noted above.

Since many of you are too stupid to realize all this. I would fully support the IKWF levying such a restriction. It certainly beats all the by-laws on holdbacks which don't work.

Sponsored Links