Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 02-23-2009

Wrestling im Michigan?

can anyone tell me all the colleges in michigan with wrestling programs? any lever.
Old 02-23-2009
Varsity

DI - U of M, MSU, CMU, EMU
DII - None
D III - Olivet
NAIA - None
NJCAA - Muskegon
Old 02-23-2009
Junior Varsity

G.V.S.U. has a club program that the coaches there are trying to get moved to varsity!
Old 02-23-2009
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzley View Post
G.V.S.U. has a club program that the coaches there are trying to get moved to varsity!
GVSU could actually be a decent NCAA team. If wrestling were a school sponsored sport, they could give out scholarships (they would be NCAA D2 i believe) and build upon an already solid lineup.
Old 02-23-2009
Even god loves the sox.

I'm on GVSU's Team and I've talked with the AD before and Wrestling doesn't appear to be on it's way to varsity anytime soon. Even though we have hung in there with and beaten good D3, NAIA, and Juco Teams, the logistics don't add up. For one, the closest D2 (What the other teams at GV are) is ashland, maybe findlay. Either way we'd be traveling about 6 hours there and 6 back for every away dual meet. The biggest obstacle is however that adding wrestling would put the school in violation of Title IX.

We get very good kids because the wrestling in Michigan is Underrated. They have some very good kids here, but it's all pretty diluted with 4 classes. With only Olivet and MCC being the only non-d1 varsity teams and GVSU being such a good and affordable school we are getting a lot of kids who want to focus more on their academics than would be allowed wrestling on a varsity team. Hopefully kids from Illinois begin to check the team out. Unfortunately this is looking like my last year on the team, student teaching and coaching all next year.

grandvalleywrestling.com
Old 02-23-2009
Even god loves the sox.

to add to the list...

Mott CC, Oakland University have NCWA teams and UM is getting one starting next year I believe.
Old 02-24-2009
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgrappler112 View Post
The biggest obstacle is however that adding wrestling would put the school in violation of Title IX.
Your AD is stringing you a line of BS on this one. The OCR changed clarified the compliance rules for Title IX years ago. You have 3 ways to show compliance with Title IX. You only have to satisfy 1 of the 3:
  1. Proportionality: this means the ratio of male to female athletes matches themale to female ratio of student enrollment
  2. Prove that you are meeting the interest of the under-represented gender: This can be done via a survey of the student body, per clarification by the OCR.
  3. Show a pattern of adding athletic opportunities for the under-represented sex.
So, unless GVSU would fail ALL 3 tests by adding wrestling, your AD is not being forthright with you.
Old 02-24-2009
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgrappler112 View Post
I'm on GVSU's Team and I've talked with the AD before and Wrestling doesn't appear to be on it's way to varsity anytime soon. Even though we have hung in there with and beaten good D3, NAIA, and Juco Teams, the logistics don't add up. For one, the closest D2 (What the other teams at GV are) is ashland, maybe findlay. Either way we'd be traveling about 6 hours there and 6 back for every away dual meet. The biggest obstacle is however that adding wrestling would put the school in violation of Title IX.

We get very good kids because the wrestling in Michigan is Underrated. They have some very good kids here, but it's all pretty diluted with 4 classes. With only Olivet and MCC being the only non-d1 varsity teams and GVSU being such a good and affordable school we are getting a lot of kids who want to focus more on their academics than would be allowed wrestling on a varsity team. Hopefully kids from Illinois begin to check the team out. Unfortunately this is looking like my last year on the team, student teaching and coaching all next year.

grandvalleywrestling.com

as far as other D2 teams being far away...

Pacific University in Oregon is the only D3 team west of minnesota/iowa.
their schedule is almost entirely teams from other divisions..

That being said, While it would be great to have in-division competition, the state of michigan has several D1 teams, a d3 team, an njcaa team and a few other club teams. Indiana isnt far, and they have 2 D1 teams, a D2 team, a few d3 teams, a few club teams, and they are starting an NAIA team next year. Ohio and Illinois each have plenty of teams to compete with as well.

Also, Opens wouldnt be a big deal, since MSU, EMU, Muskegon, and you guys host opens in state, and there are a lot in Ohio as well.
Old 02-24-2009
Even god loves the sox.

I appreciate the support and arguments, but ya'll are preaching to the choir here. Of course I support our move up to d2 varsity status, I'm just listing the problems that our school's athletic department has given us. We've used all these arguments before. Hopefully one day soon they'll listen. As for now, please show this team some support as we enter the post season this weekend and nationals in 2 weeks and maybe shoot our AD an email or something. Thanks.
Sponsored Links