Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Freestyle / Greco-Roman

Old 04-11-2016
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwrestler155 View Post
I watched his interview and Tom Brands interview. You could feel the raw and honest emotion from Tony. He felt like he was betrayed. I believe him. It didn't come across as sour grapes to me. He said the loss was on him. However, you can tell he was deeply hurt by this, you could see it in his body language, his voice, etc.

Brands probably did tell him he would coach his corner and then didn't. Brands was evasive, didn't answer the question and didn't come across convincing to me. There is a small chance Brands purposely didn't answer to protect Tony, took the high road, but I doubt it. Brands even admitted Dennis was more his guy than Tony.

I would imagine, with two elite wrestlers, where the margin of victory is so thin, that having your coach betray you could impact your performance. It's easy to say you can't have any excuses but wrestling is such a mental sport this could have been enough to disrupt him from his focus.
It certainly sounds like Tony has a legit beef but I think this was the wrong time and place to air the grievance. I feel like this could have been handled differently. Right after you lose is not the time to call out the coaching staff.
Old 04-11-2016
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GETOFFYOURHIP View Post
It certainly sounds like Tony has a legit beef but I think this was the wrong time and place to air the grievance. I feel like this could have been handled differently. Right after you lose is not the time to call out the coaching staff.

Bingo, the timing is the issue. He certainly is entitled his opinion, may well be right, but airing it immediately after a loss makes it sound sour grapes..
Old 04-11-2016

tony has always worn his heart on his sleeve and thats what most "iowa fans" loved about him most. He may be "cocky" some times, he may say some things he maybe shouldn't say at times. But he is always real and honest and I will always support him and have his back.
Old 04-11-2016
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Schultz DWC View Post
I didn't hear him blame anyone for losing. I heard him say he felt betrayed and couldn't trust his coaches so he is leaving. He said straight up the loss is on him. The rest is how he feels about his training situation and does not want to be there anymore. Who are you to judge his decision to leave? People transfer and or change clubs all the time. It happens
The thing that is raising such a stink is his reaction. If he would have won the Olympic Spot and then gave that interview, people would be siding with him alot more, but would he have given that same interview had he won?? In the way things happened to give an interview like that just looked whiny!!
Old 04-11-2016
Junior Varsity

Tony will be on Marty and Miller, a Des Moines, Iowa radio show at 535 pm. The people on the Hawkeyes wrestling forum seem to think that this could be a bad move if he's as distraught as yesterday. I think it should be very entertaining.

Trent Condon ‎‎@trentcondon

Betrayal in Iowa Wrestling? Tony Ramos sounds off after yesterday's US Olympic Team Trials. http://www.martyandmiller.com/betray...owa-wrestling/ … pic.twitter.com/5j0HimvQSU

Trent Condon ‎‎@trentcondon

Today at 5:35 @T_Ram133 will join @martytirrell & myself to talk about yesterday's frustration & what's next Stream: http://martyandmiller.com
Old 04-11-2016
Varsity

my first reaction was ramos is whining ...then you here brands state he was in tonys corner since day 1 and ramos has been a loyal product of hawkeye wrestling ......its a shame dennis victory is taking a back seat to this..brands is at fault he could resolved this months ago by dealing with this ....brands says one minute that the hawkeyes are the standard for loyalty and commitment and being there for your wrestlers whatever the situation ........i wonder why when dennis who brands is so interested and concerned with was living out of his car 2 years ago if he was so concerned then ..probably not to busy with ramos winning titles and building a trust and bond with ramos......

im not saying turn your back on dennis but in this situation this is tonys house if any of our coaches wish to coach dennis for this event that is perfectly acceptable just not here ....this isnt a wrestle off or big ten tournament of 2 guys currently involved here in our program... this is two wrestlers fighting for the same spot on the olympic team sharing coaches and prep and one guy is coming back into a program that he has been away from and my current wrestler is distracted by it and its my job to have him 100%focused mentally and physically ....but no he pleaded to dennis to come to iowa not vt because having two wrestlers in this class gave him and his ego a better chance to get to rio ......and if he claims he was unaware of it he obviously has lost touch with his wrestlers state of mind .... and is im sure part of the reason iowa wrestling has went from turning elite wrestlers away because the barn is loaded with the elite already...to begging former hawkeyes to come back and has watched cal and psu take over and is watching the buckeyes cruise past as well .....

ramos gained nothing by post match interview ....he wiill lose some fan base over this and haters are gna blame it on the loss when he clearly accepted it and took full responsibility..should he have made it a public distraction during his training camp??? ...he did not do that he lost he stated that but i applaud him for having the courage to express his issue and betrayal by iowa and brands and brands response and attitude says it all ...face it brands your not gable and on your watch you have watched the program go from best in the country to not even being the best in your conference and king brands lost a loyal soldier today.... and now has to sell his program to hihg school studs even former hawkeyes rather than letting it sell itself

when a athlete acts in certain way he is exposed immediately and judged but when he exposes the big bad wolf for their behavior his heart and commitment are all of a sudden in question

if im ramos i catch the first bus to missouri and have mike eierman train me not just because his wrestler just won a bracket with taylor and dake in it and beat dakein the finals ....no doubt brands made tony ramos what he is today but he feels betrayed and that will always be there ....a fresh approach to wrestlng will only make him better and when see a guy like cox and clayton who eierman introduced to the sport years ago and is the guy they want in their corner still on this stage ..its safe to say his styleof coaching is working and loyalty is not a issue

and since im still rambling on ..does any body else feel this will be a factor in recruiting ?im curious if renteria a current commit to iowa any who considers ramos a friend and idol feels after this
Old 04-11-2016

Check out the interview he just did with 1490 des moines
Old 04-11-2016
Varsity

Quote:
Check out the interview he just did with 1490 des moines
where can i find that thanks
Old 04-11-2016
Varsity

Quote:
tony has always worn his heart on his sleeve and thats what most "iowa fans" loved about him most. He may be "cocky" some times, he may say some things he maybe shouldn't say at times. But he is always real and honest and I will always support him and have his back.

You're clearly a good friend to him Mark. I guess that I would tell Tony that this is the way of the world. People betray. Organizations betray. Clubs betray. It sucks, but it's the way of the world. It's a tough way to find out, but that's the real world. He lost. It happens. He is still a great talent. He is still a young man. Walk away from it wiser. Shake off the loss and plan for your return. Nothing needs to end unless he chooses to end it. He can make the next two Olympics if he chooses that path.
Old 04-11-2016
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstick View Post
where can i find that thanks
http://www.martyandmiller.com/marty-...apr-11-hour-3/ (about the 35 minute mark)
Sponsored Links