Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 02-08-2009
Varsity

Seeding the top teams would certainly make sense, especially when you consider other sports are able to do it. Every year this is a problem. The last two years Montini and Glenbard North had to wrestle each other.. two years ago for the Sectional championship and last year for the first round of the state series. Last year their match was arguably a match between the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the state. Montini breezed through to the state championship while Glenbard North went home with no hardware. The state dual team series always seems to have some serious inadequacies each year.
Old 02-09-2009
Owner/Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan442 View Post
Very cool, admin. It'd be great if you posted the dual so I could see it later. I won't be able to watch it live, you see. I'll be watching the OPRF Huskies live and in living color!
It should be available immediately after the dual on the Ustream website. Now I just hope Pekin can set me up with wireless.
Old 02-09-2009

address?

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
It should be available immediately after the dual on the Ustream website. Now I just hope Pekin can set me up with wireless.
What is the website address for upstream? Is it just upstream.com?
Old 02-09-2009
Owner/Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by builtfordtough View Post
What is the website address for upstream? Is it just upstream.com?
If it happens, you will be able to watch live at http://www.illinoismatmen.com/live.php or directly from the Ustream website at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/illinois-matmen-live
Old 02-09-2009
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestle21 View Post
You mean like PROVIDENCE and MINOOKA who are located about 17 miles apart but have to travel 130 miles to PEKIN to wrestle each other in the most import dual of their season.
Welcome to IHSA tournament sports in the Western and Southern parts of the state. We've been doing this in all sports for years.
Old 02-09-2009
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan442 View Post

I still kinda wished they went back to the old system of the Regional 1 vs. Regional 2 teams dual it out to see who really is "Regional champion." If you're going to crown champion via dual meets, I think you should wrestle a dual meet to get into the tourney.

Just some thoughts.
I know of a team out this way that would in favor of that. And in our case, we practically wrestled a dual anyway, we had like 9 or 10 head to head matchups. But thems ain't the rules.
Old 02-09-2009
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbln View Post
Imagine the fact that #2 Minooka and #4 Providence have to drive ALL THE WAY DOWN to Pekin for one match that will end one of their seasons and watch Edwardsville and Rockton-Hononegah wrestle knowing that one of those teams will advance to state!!! How much does that suck?
Yeah....it's pretty appalling that the #8 ranked team in the state and #19 ranked team in the state actually get to battle it out for a state berth.

Kind of surprising that you would single out these 2 schools....especially when you look at some of the other matches that will yield an elite 8 team:
  • Unranked Leyden vs. unranked Naperville Central
  • #17 Mt. Carmel vs. unranked St. Rita
  • Unranked New Trier vs. #14 Grant
  • Unranked Wheeling vs. #9 Libertyville
Was your lack of mention of those fine duals an oversight or a slight towards Hononegah and Edwardsville. Like it or not, these are 2 very deserving teams who have earned their rankings.

No team in the state wrestles a tougher dual meet schedule than Hononegah. They placed 8th at Dvorak. Every year they graduate seniors and every year they reload and are right back near the top, in spite of the fact that they are in a weak conference and they do not have athletes who have the opportunity to go to schools like Overtime, Pinnacle or ISI in the offseason.

These teams do not back into a state berth. They battle it out just like every other program. They may not have the talent that OPRF has THIS YEAR or Providence, but they do a heck of a lot with what they are given.
Old 02-09-2009
Varsity

team title.....

how about this.......

there is no reason that team dual sectionals have to have the same teams as the individual sectionals.....

top 2 teams in each regional make it to the "playoff".....

you seed the top 8. (however you want to....record, competition, ranking) #9 through #32 get placed geographically...

1st round matches are the tuesday following regionals(8 predetermined sites....two mats both start at 6)...then its down to 16 and you can have the same schedule as now.

the 8 sites......the only problem will be with the 2 southern teams(ie edwardsville & GC) they would be in with 2 northern teams ....so somewhere halfway....ie pekin...those 4 teams would have a little travel....start that one at 7....

i think this eliminates quite a few of the problems.....and inequities(yes...Nequa is still on the outside looking in)
Old 02-09-2009
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbln View Post
Imagine the fact that #2 Minooka and #4 Providence have to drive ALL THE WAY DOWN to Pekin for one match that will end one of their seasons and watch Edwardsville and Rockton-Hononegah wrestle knowing that one of those teams will advance to state!!! How much does that suck?
Why does everybody whine every year about this? Duh, the matchups were a blind draw so the IHSA can't do anything about it. I know the system is flaw and broken, but it is what it is. Why don't you just congratulate all the teams that won regionals because that is a great accomplishment for any program instead of bitching and complaining. Anyways, I like how you admit that your prediction was wrong, but don't rag on Edwardsville or Honenegah for what they accomplish.
Old 02-09-2009
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemiwinks31 View Post
how about this.......

there is no reason that team dual sectionals have to have the same teams as the individual sectionals.....

top 2 teams in each regional make it to the "playoff".....

you seed the top 8. (however you want to....record, competition, ranking) #9 through #32 get placed geographically...

1st round matches are the tuesday following regionals(8 predetermined sites....two mats both start at 6)...then its down to 16 and you can have the same schedule as now.

the 8 sites......the only problem will be with the 2 southern teams(ie edwardsville & GC) they would be in with 2 northern teams ....so somewhere halfway....ie pekin...those 4 teams would have a little travel....start that one at 7....

i think this eliminates quite a few of the problems.....and inequities(yes...Nequa is still on the outside looking in)

I hope the IHSA realize soon that the country is in recession and teams are already paying out of the wazoo on travel expenses as it is so why don't we just add some more travel. Its bad enough the southern and the quad city teams has to go to LWC for the sectional next week and four teams have to travel to Pekin for one dual in two weeks

Last edited by Southern_Hospitality; 02-09-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Sponsored Links

Tags
ihsa, team state bracket