Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Old 03-05-2013
Varsity

No IESA next year

On the IESA forum, there is a post about a rumored decision by IKWF leaders to ban IESA wrestling at the same time as IKWF season, the opposite of the former IESA rule. Any truth to this?
Old 03-05-2013
Olympian

wouldn't surprise me.
Old 03-05-2013
Varsity

Seems strange to me, when the biggest complaint for years about the IESA was their refusal to allow IKWF competition. Maybe it is regional thing. Downstate doesn't actually have that many IESA teams in the smaller schools, to compete with IKWF. Maybe up North, there is more of a problem with IES taking kids away from IK. In my g-kid's case it was a good way to get more competition than he was getting in the IE. He only attended a few tournaments, but got a lot out of them.
Old 03-05-2013
Varsity

It's a shame that they are so concerned about losing money from the seniors, when this year so many kids took the advantage of gettting the extra competition. This is supposed to be about the kids right?
Old 03-05-2013
Varsity

The ability to train with a club coach and attend IKWF tournaments is what made this such a great year for my son in IESA. He may not be doing IKWF state, but they got a paying competitor to a lot of sunday tournaments. Hope they aren't foolish enough to think it's a bad thing
Old 03-05-2013
old school

my son also is doing iesa state, but i did purchase usa card thru ik club, wrestled the three elite tournies and a couple of others as well, it would be a mistake in my opinion to force us to choose one or the other again. my son has had a ton of fun representing his school, doing duals with all his school buddies and i think he would want to continue doing iesa if made to choose one or the other, i guess i will have to spend my alotted ikwf tournie money on private lessons for him if forced to choose
Old 03-06-2013
Intergender Wrest. Champ

Its referred to as operation "cradle to grave"
Old 03-06-2013
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rios3488 View Post
Its referred to as operation "cradle to grave"
I have had the pleasure (and challenges) of running an IKWF club for 5 years now. My personal experiences with IKWF administration has been nothing but positive. I don't think they would cut off their noses to spite their faces. Anyone who moves over to IESA without allowing both, were gone from IKWF. Now those same seniors, and any others who want to do both will have USA Cards, which is how IKWF makes their money. I think it may minimally affect State, but there are SO many areas that don't have IESA schools anyway. I bet it's just a rumor.
My son did both, and loves both.
Old 03-06-2013
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megpooch View Post
I have had the pleasure (and challenges) of running an IKWF club for 5 years now. My personal experiences with IKWF administration has been nothing but positive. I don't think they would cut off their noses to spite their faces. Anyone who moves over to IESA without allowing both, were gone from IKWF. Now those same seniors, and any others who want to do both will have USA Cards, which is how IKWF makes their money. I think it may minimally affect State, but there are SO many areas that don't have IESA schools anyway. I bet it's just a rumor.
My son did both, and loves both.
I sincerely hope you are right, but maybe if such a change is being considered, the comments on here, and other places, will help sway IKWF administration to leave it the way it is now.
Old 03-06-2013
Varsity

This was recently posted on the IESA forum. Not sure when this was originally posted, but it certainly would lead me to believe that the thread I was working off of was just a rumor. My apologies for getting people all stirred up.

petersenkid2
Crystal Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
As promised, here is the "official" statement from the IKWF.

We have had several questions recently regarding our by-laws and the overall intent of the by-laws. These by-laws are based on the following guiding principles:

> We are a member of USA Wrestling and support their programs and policies.

> We strive to create a safe environment that will develop our athletes, coaches, and officials.

> Background Checks for all coaches and officials.

> Coaches Education and Membership Card Enforcement.

> Comprehensive Insurance Coverage.

> We support the international styles and the Olympic Development System.

> We strive to remain consistent with the IHSA since this is where our members will graduate to.

Our current by-laws address competition outside the organization under by-law 15u. Under IHSA by-law 3.1 an athlete could be deemed ineligible for up to 365 days if they participated in a non-sanctioned or contracted event in state during that sports season.

After discussion with the IKWF Board of Directors, legal counsel, and the IHSA, we reiterate that anyone that competes in state at a non-IKWF/USAW sanctioned event between the 1st weekend of December and completion of our State Series will not be eligible to compete in our Dual Team or Individual State Series.

We will NOT:

> Revoke their USA Wrestling membership or privileges.

> Prevent them from competing in any other IKWF/USAW sanctioned event.

> Extend any penalties past the current season.

> Change our long standing policy of allowing students to wrestle for their grade school teams.

I doubt this change will be made
Sponsored Links