Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 1A

Old 02-23-2013
Junior Varsity

ihsa duel team state.

i am very dissapointed in the leroy dakota quarter finals....... the refs made terrrible calls and everything seemed to go dakotas way.... i was dissapointed in josh albers attitude during his and tyler walsh's match..... he pushed him off the mat and did not even get spoken to.... matlock had olsen pinned........... craige had his kid pinned and things would have been alot different......... i do not understand the refs dakota bias and it was very sad to see a great team lose not only to one but multiple bad calls on refs.
Old 02-23-2013
Junior Varsity

Dakota has a great team and great wrestlers. They came out ready to go and they were the better team. I would have liked a different result obviously but they earned it. Congratulations to Dakota. I don't think talking about the reffing is going to do anything. A few calls here or there wouldn't have changed the overall results. Also you know officials won't read the message boards for suggestions on how to improve.

Good dual and good luck with the rest of the tournament.
Old 02-23-2013
Varsity

gotta laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestling predictions View Post
i am very dissapointed in the leroy dakota quarter finals....... the refs made terrrible calls and everything seemed to go dakotas way.... i was dissapointed in josh albers attitude during his and tyler walsh's match..... he pushed him off the mat and did not even get spoken to.... matlock had olsen pinned........... craige had his kid pinned and things would have been alot different......... i do not understand the refs dakota bias and it was very sad to see a great team lose not only to one but multiple bad calls on refs.
I always laugh at these posts, because we all know we have such a better angle to call a pin when we are 40 ft away in the stands above the wrestlers than the ref who is 2 ft away....
Old 02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wow Coach View Post
Also you know officials won't read the message boards for suggestions on how to improve.
Since you are obviously implying that you have ways to improve officiating in the sport, you should sign up and officiate.
http://www.ihsa.org/Officials/HowtoB...dOfficial.aspx

I'm constantly told how we have fewer and fewer officials in the sport, to the point the IHSA has concern that in the near future they will not have enough, so by all means join up.
Old 02-23-2013
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapngo View Post
Since you are obviously implying that you have ways to improve officiating in the sport, you should sign up and officiate.
http://www.ihsa.org/Officials/HowtoB...dOfficial.aspx

I'm constantly told how we have fewer and fewer officials in the sport, to the point the IHSA has concern that in the near future they will not have enough, so by all means join up.
I find it funny that when people notice technical mistakes made by an official they have to become a ref for their opinion to be valid.

This is my last year coaching in Illinois. I am moving back to Iowa for a new job. If my schedule doesnot allow me to coach I will probably become an official. I have been around the sport my entire life and want to stay involved.

I am not upset about judgement calls. There were technical mistakes that could be corrected. Do you have an idea on how to educate those officials?

Don't just assume that everybody is ignorant and complaining because things didn't go their way. Heck, I'm not even saying I would do a better job overall. I am saying there were technical mistakes that could be fixed.

I don't want this to be a negative thread and I hope it ends. I've seem responses like yours too often and they do not help the sport.
Old 02-23-2013
Varsity

congratulations

Today Dakota was the better team. No one was under any delusions as to what it would take. Leroy needed to win all the swing matches. We needed to win the coin toss, and we needed our unknowns to beat their unknowns...which didnt happen. It could have gone differently with really two critical swing matches making the difference in my opinion. But it didnt , end of story. Dakota was more solid from 160 to 195 than we thought. One of the parents and I really thought coming out of the 152 match with the score where it was that Leroy had a 50 50 shot at winning. Yes I too was disappointed at a couple of no calls on pins. And yes I was in the stands too. But I too have been around a long time, too old to ref but know that refs do a terrific job overall but they make mistakes and miss some calls. It happens at almost every meet I have been at and will happen at probably every future meet I will be at. They dont get the luxury of instant replay to double check a critical moment in a match. Sometimes it goes our way and sometimes it goes the other way.This certainly wont be the last time we see Dakota as both teams are very young. So me personally I will look forward to next year.
Old 02-23-2013
Viking 4 Life

Well spoken! Dakota wrestled very well today and they deserved the trophy for sure. As we have seen in previous years Coach DeWald is a "master of puppets" when it comes to matching up each weight. We had some great matchups that didn't go our way today, but that's why they wrestle the matches. Well done to all the wrestlers from both LeRoy and Dakota today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwrestler View Post
Today Dakota was the better team. No one was under any delusions as to what it would take. Leroy needed to win all the swing matches. We needed to win the coin toss, and we needed our unknowns to beat their unknowns...which didnt happen. It could have gone differently with really two critical swing matches making the difference in my opinion. But it didnt , end of story. Dakota was more solid from 160 to 195 than we thought. One of the parents and I really thought coming out of the 152 match with the score where it was that Leroy had a 50 50 shot at winning. Yes I too was disappointed at a couple of no calls on pins. And yes I was in the stands too. But I too have been around a long time, too old to ref but know that refs do a terrific job overall but they make mistakes and miss some calls. It happens at almost every meet I have been at and will happen at probably every future meet I will be at. They dont get the luxury of instant replay to double check a critical moment in a match. Sometimes it goes our way and sometimes it goes the other way.This certainly wont be the last time we see Dakota as both teams are very young. So me personally I will look forward to next year.
Old 02-24-2013
Junior Varsity

great job

dont get me wrong dakota won and won fair but things did not pan out the way they should have..... great job to dakota and their wrestlers as they wrestled hard its just there seemed to be alot of bad calls on both sides. i enjoyed every match. to me it seemed disorganized and id imagine that on reveiw of video there would have been alot of mistakes that could or couldnt have change the flow of things. id love to see this matchup in the semi final bout next year.... both teams will be solid and it will be a great duel.
Old 02-25-2013

if you want to be upset with something, be upset with the rest of the states 1A dual teams outside of leroy and dakota. Weak isn't the word for it. Embarrassing is. It's time for these coaches to step it up. get Kids in the room, actually teach them something, get your summer program going. wrestling 2 months out of the year isnt cutting it teach..I mean coach. As in the indy tourney, we're handing out hardware to kids and teams that wouldn't sniff the medal stand 5, 10 yrs ago.
Old 02-25-2013
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipside View Post
if you want to be upset with something, be upset with the rest of the states 1A dual teams outside of leroy and dakota. Weak isn't the word for it. Embarrassing is. It's time for these coaches to step it up. get Kids in the room, actually teach them something, get your summer program going. wrestling 2 months out of the year isnt cutting it teach..I mean coach. As in the indy tourney, we're handing out hardware to kids and teams that wouldn't sniff the medal stand 5, 10 yrs ago.
Mercer County and LeRoy would have been an interesting dual. Similar scores with Dakota, although Mercer County won 5 of the contested matches vs. Dakota while LeRoy won only 2. 5 state qualifiers and 3 medalists for MC; 7 qualifiers and 4 medalists for LeRoy, 160 and 220 had qualifiers for both teams.

Running through the weights, advantage LeRoy at 106, 113, 120, 126 132, 145, 160 and 220, advantage MC at 138, 152, 170, 182, 195, and 285. Starting weight would be huge as far as momentum and results at 160 and 220 as well..

Looks to me if Mercer County is weak, so is LeRoy. If LeRoy is decent, then so is Mercer County.

Last edited by ctdad; 02-25-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Sponsored Links

Tags
bad, calls