Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 01-18-2014
Junior Varsity

3A Rankings

There is a team in 2014 that is 20-4, losing 3 matches to ranked teams. There are teams that are 5-9, 5-5, 11-10, 6-7, 8-6, and 7-6 that are ranked - Honorable Mention.

Do rankings help promote the sport when they do not recognize all of the schools in Illinois who have wrestling?

I do not have a dog in this fight, but for 40 years I have loved this sport and enjoy going to various high school and college matches around the community. Sometimes I get to see the “latest and greatest” and sometime I just go to a match between two “unworthy” schools. While the latest and greatest is fun it is also fun to see a struggling program improve.

So, do team rankings help or hurt? OK LET THE PERSONAL ATTACKS ON ME BEGIN BUT THANKS TO THOSE WHO HAVE A HONEST OPINION.
Old 01-18-2014
Varsity

Theres a ton of teams to follow in the state. If the team hasn't been a consistent top team in the state the last few years, it can take awhile for them to get recognized. Pass along the info to the people who do the rankings. Have they beaten anyone ranked? How close were the meets to the ranked teams they lost to? How high have they placed in tournaments they have done?
Old 01-18-2014
Undefeated

You should pimp your own squad dude. I don't even think the ranker here lives in IL.
Old 01-18-2014
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C. Slater View Post
You should pimp your own squad dude. I don't even think the ranker here lives in IL.
Thanks A. C. for one honest answer. If a school has to glorify itís program is it really worthy of getting ranked if your 5-9 or 5-5 etc? I agree that there are way too many schools for one guy to track. Maybe the coaches should submit their recommendations for any school but their own. At least the rankings would be less biased.

I do not have a school to pimp. My kids are long, long gone. I just would like to see the sport grow. I just do not see how rankings help promote the sport when they are compiled by promotion. The top ten or so teams are worthy of their rankings most of the HM should just be dropped off the list. Maybe just list the top ten for team and individual? Those top ten you cannot argue with.

Does the ranking authority really live outside Illinois?
Old 01-18-2014
Undefeated

Pretty sure he lives in Tennessee. I don't know which team you're giving an example for, but I'm sure even an in state ranker doesn't see every team so you could just bring it to his attention in the ranking thread. No shame in that.
Old 01-18-2014
Super Moderator

Yes, the ranker lives in Tennessee, but he has long time Illinois roots. He is also a national ranker. In the day of the Internet, it is easier than ever to keep track of things. Still, much of it comes from newspapers, and newspapers are reporting less and less. Therefore, it helps for people to feed information.

As for the idea that programs that promote themselves get ranked is true and it is not true. The truth is that teams who are good at getting information out are going to be seen. Teams that don't have public records of wins and losses will be missed, except as they might wrestle the teams that get their stats out there. In the end, however, it comes down to who a team has beaten and who they lost to and by how much. A team with a bunch of close losses to top teams may get ranked. A team with all wins against subpar opponents may not.
Old 01-18-2014
Junior Varsity

Smile Rankings live on

As for the idea that programs that promote themselves get ranked is true and it is not true. The truth is that teams who are good at getting information out are going to be seen. Teams that don't have public records of wins and losses will be missed, except as they might wrestle the teams that get their stats out there. In the end, however, it comes down to who a team has beaten and who they lost to and by how much. A team with a bunch of close losses to top teams may get ranked. A team with all wins against subpar opponents may not.[/QUOTE]

Another good answer thank you. Fortunately in wrestling a rank does not mean squat, what happens on the mat does. TO ALL COACHES OUT THERE > you need to report your season to this web site to promote your program!

We can close this discussion. I have go sell some marketing to some high school coaches. LOL
Old 01-18-2014
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk134 View Post
As for the idea that programs that promote themselves get ranked is true and it is not true. The truth is that teams who are good at getting information out are going to be seen. Teams that don't have public records of wins and losses will be missed, except as they might wrestle the teams that get their stats out there. In the end, however, it comes down to who a team has beaten and who they lost to and by how much. A team with a bunch of close losses to top teams may get ranked. A team with all wins against subpar opponents may not.
Another good answer thank you. Fortunately in wrestling a rank does not mean squat, what happens on the mat does. TO ALL COACHES OUT THERE > you need to report your season to this web site to promote your program!

We can close this discussion. I have go sell some marketing to some high school coaches. LOL[/QUOTE]

Truer words have never been spoken

Tags
ranking, team