Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 12-05-2005
Olympian

The Burk Blog 12/5

It's been a while since my last post. We had a tough dual against Northwestern last Thursday. They won all but one of the close matches, and won the dual because of that. I still think our team can do great things this season, without a doubt. We are right there, we just have to turn the corner now.

My match went ok....I lost, so I can't say it went well. Herbert is a very good opponent and is very tough on top. He rode me for quite some time, as I was unable to find a way out for the better part of the match. But I felt as if I did wrestle alright. My intensity was there, and I thought I had a good pace going for the most part. Again, I just needed to get off bottom quicker, and things could have been different. Either way, it was a good match to have early in the season. He is without a doubt a contender for the National title, and it was a good match to see how I stack up with the best in the country. I think now I am even more motivated to improve and become one of the top guys when NCAAs roll around.

This week we have finals, then Christmas break. I only have two finals, as my upper level classes have already concluded for the semester. So, this week wont be too hard on me at all. I really enjoy the break over the holidays. Not having to go to school and just working out is awesome!! Plus, I get some time to read to and relax and see my family for a bit. It's just a nice break away from going to classes and what not. I really don't mind working out 2-3 times a day, but going to class is never one of the things I look forward to!!

We wrestle Wisconsin in Madison this Sunday. I really think it is going to be a big dual. Kind of like the Northwestern meet, whoever wins the close matches is going to win the dual. So we, as a team, really need to step up and come through in crunch time. I'll wrestle Kelly Flaherty most likely. He's a good wrestler and beat me last yr. So this is a big match for me, and our team. I just hope we compete hard and with a high level of intensity, and we will be ok.

Duke is still doing well. The decision for him to redshirt is one that I believe will only help him in the future. I was a big fan of him not redshirting and competing this year, but I completely understand the reasoning behind the decision. The main thing for him is to continue to work hard, which he is. He and I go in for extra workouts 4-5 times a week, just to go over some things and get a good sweat in.

Well, I must get going now....I don't have another final until Thursday, so I have some time to relax and catch up on some sleep.

Also, this is a very exciting time for my family, as my sister is due with her second child any day now, most likely next week. So, the terror known as Dillon is going to have a running mate, which is a scary thought. But, I can't wait for my first niece to come and get to spend time with the family. I was the only one not there when Dil was born, so hopefully I'll be able to make it back this time and be there for Melissa (my sister). Let's just hope that, like the Dil, this one doesn't look anything like our friend "Admin" .

Thanks again guys, I'll report back after the Wisconsin dual. Good luck to all wrestlers. Enjoy the ride, while it lasts!

-Danny-

PS - I wanna send a shout out to Dennis Papadatos because he provides comic relief by trying to tell us how good New York wrestling is all the time. Plus, he's the only guy I know who puts gel in his hair to come to a morning workout.....But really, he's a great guy and a great coach. He knows what it takes to make it to the top in this sport, and is willing to help at all times. So having him around has only benefited our team and especially me. Every time I ask him to workout early in the morning on a weekend, he's there, when he could be sleeping in and what not. Our coaches really care about our team and do anything for us.

Last edited by admin; 12-05-2005 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-07-2005
Junior Varsity

Just wanted to say that despite the loss vs Herbert, you really battled the guy out there. You frustrated him on bottom by not getting the turns he wanted and at the end you will still fighting for takedowns when it was him who is supposed to look for the scoring there. Also noticed you doing windsprints behind the mat during the 184 pound match. You definitely wore him down at the end and I can see why!

Herbert really looked huge out there, did you feel like he had a strength advantage?
Old 12-07-2005
Olympian

Thank you, I always try to work as hard as I can, especially during a match, but being on bottom kind of worked to my disadvantage. Hes a big kid....He has a lot of strength, and also a lot of leverage to go along with it. Hes a real good wrestler. Hopefully come March Im able to compete with those guys a bit better. Thanks for coming out, again!
Old 12-14-2005
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPBwrestle1
I really don't mind working out 2-3 times a day, but going to class is never one of the things I look forward to!!
Mr. Burk, I'm not sure if this is a true expression of your lack of interest in the educational mission of the university or if you are trying to show how coll you are. Can you imagine how your professors feel about students who don't want to be there?

Naturally, this begs the question of why are you in college? Primarily to "play sports"? Is this a good reason for the university, the state of Illinois, and the federal government to foot the bill? I'm sure many citizens could come up with other ways to spend government funds. And many citizens would prefer to not pay the taxes at all.

In all likelihood, you will never again have the opportunity to learn from a group of men and women who have spent their careers learning about different areas of knowledge and are trying to impart a little of what they have learned to you. Just as success at wrestling is very much an attitude, so is what you get out of college. With a different attitude, you might learn some valuable lessons.

Best of luck to you in wrestling, at school, and in your future endeavors.
Old 12-14-2005
FREIGHT TRAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistadors
Mr. Burk, I'm not sure if this is a true expression of your lack of interest in the educational mission of the university or if you are trying to show how coll you are. Can you imagine how your professors feel about students who don't want to be there?

Naturally, this begs the question of why are you in college? Primarily to "play sports"? Is this a good reason for the university, the state of Illinois, and the federal government to foot the bill? I'm sure many citizens could come up with other ways to spend government funds. And many citizens would prefer to not pay the taxes at all.

In all likelihood, you will never again have the opportunity to learn from a group of men and women who have spent their careers learning about different areas of knowledge and are trying to impart a little of what they have learned to you. Just as success at wrestling is very much an attitude, so is what you get out of college. With a different attitude, you might learn some valuable lessons.

I think you are reading too much into this. Just because he doesn't look forward to it doesn't mean he isn't getting the grades and doing what needs to be done. Where does it say he doesn't appreciate the opportunity he has? You don't have to like something to know it is valuable. I think everyone has to do things they don't really look forward to. I am sure there are many of us who don't always look forward to going to work, but we do.

He is just telling us how he feels. That is what this blog is about. As for him only going to school for sports I am sure he understands that wrestling isn't going to pay the bills and he takes care of what he needs to. Many people have used sports to further their education, but I would bet that not all of them enjoyed all aspects of it.

Last edited by ugly1; 12-14-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2005
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistadors

Who cares what professors think, in college you get grades based on TESTS. Not going to class not homework and not how much or how little a teacher likes you. In wrestling you should look forward to certain things to be successfull but the same is not true for school as it has no short term rewards. Therefore not going to class...ect is ok if you get the grades you need to get becasue thats all that matters for the long run.
Old 12-14-2005
Varsity

Achilles, you are long on expression but short on reality. We all went to school (college) with those select few that could blow off class, bone up on the assignments a couple days before the test, pull an all nighter and go in and ace the test...but those people are few and far between. AND their success rate in the business world is even less.

But besides that, all Mr. Burk was expressing was a dislike of attending classes...he didn't say he skips classes. Any red blooded american boy/man would rather be playing than working but college is the transition from the play world (high school) to the real world where you are responsible for your own actions and it's up to you to get up and go to work.

I'm sure Danny realizes that and his statement was as much tongue in cheek as anything. I do know Grant monitors attendance so they can't skip classes anyway.