Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > Wrestle with Mr. Twister

Old 02-12-2013
Wrestling Media

No Olympics, you got it all wrong...I am dropping YOU.....

Well I woke up and turned my computer on to the dumbest thing since the University of Nebraska at Omaha dropped wrestling. Memo to the stupid Olympic people, the Olympics are THE WORLDS OLDEST SPORT. When I think Olympics I think Track and Field and Olympics. First you dropped baseball (my sport) and now you dropped wrestling. I think I will drop the Olympics. No need for me to watch. Adios.... Andre' Morgan (Wrestling fan)

SINCE THIS IS A DAY TO REALLY VENT: I will turn my column over to the masses and add excerpts from the wrestling community around the world....

"Trev Alberts evidently doesn't have a monopoly on stupid."...Mike Allibone (Parent of an NCAA wrestler and Kansas state champ)

"Now the whole World will know how UNO felt except at least they get a warning that the end is coming!"....Mario Morgan (NCAA Champion & Coach)

" I can think of a few other words to use besides wow, but I'm a lady"....Jen Deitchler-Dominguez (wife of an NCAA Coach)

"Man wrestling might be out of the 2020 Olympics bs a bunch Lil wussys I shall say grow a pair."....Eddie Klimara (NCAA wrestler-IL state champion)

"My jaw,is still on the floor this may be worse than title nine"....Rico Blakley (IHSA state wrestler)

"Wrestling being dropped from the Olympics? They say decision not final but its not looking good. This is a joke, they have sports like archery, badmitton, canoe, equestrian, pentathalon, handball, trampoline, and table tennis. With all of those sports in the Olympics and they want to cut wrestling. Not only is wrestling the oldest sports, but its also the toughest. 99.9% of people can't wrestle because they just aren't tough enough. Look at mma, dominated by wrestlers and mma in my opinion is the 2nd toughest sport. This is a joke I don't see how this sticks. Bunch of cowards like trev alberst, UNO AD who couldn't last 1 week in the wrestling room. Our World is SOoooooo Soft. Bunch of sissies everywhere! Pissed!" ....Todd Meenely (NCAA Champion)

"May have ruined the sport with this decision."....David Zianni (HS Wrestling coach)

"Its so damn stupid....I'm sure we could do without synchronized swimming..... "....Ryan Logdson (Wrestling fan)

"Once those Russians get word of this I'm sure somebody from the KGB will straighten this all out."....Dalton Bullard (NCAA All American)

"What the Hell is this! You can't drop wrestling from the olympics, it is the origin sport of the olympics." ....Colin Toggas (Wrestling fan)

"I am convinced the world is coming to an end. This just proves it. I am now ready to die."...Andre' Morgan (Wrestling fan)

" Did they miss Greek and Roman history in school? Nonsensically Duh!"....Beth Kirkman (Wrestling fan)

"Personally, I think the Olympics are dying. They are all rich , professional athletes. I don't watch anymore." ....Damon Denoyer (Wrestling fan)

"Wrestling is being petitioned to be DROPPED from the 2020 Olympics!?!?!? The oldest sport in the world that was in the first olympics. This is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in awhile. If anything, they should be adding folkstyle! This is the definition of politics right here!!"....Mark Edward Augle (IL All State wrestler)

"This has made me speechless...IOC must be high on something if they think this will finalize!" Matt Rein (Kansas State champ & NCAA team champ)

"I've spent my whole life wrestling with the belief that one day I might get to wrestle in the olympics. 14 years of dreaming are about to go to **** seeing as after 2016 wrestling will no longer be in the onlympics. I have decided that I am going to start training to be the best at table tennis...... smh"....Nicholas Drendel (IL All State wrestler)

"well that's a depressing way to start my morning... I think I'll go on reddit and look at pictures of kittens"....Zack Botkin (Wrestling fans)

"What the hell am I suppose to tell my 2 year old grandson to do now"....Andre' Morgan (Wrestling fan)

"I haven't been able to get away from this news all morning. The oldest olympic sport is being dropped. Unbelievable."....Kyle Hutter (IL h.s. All American & NCAA wrestler)

"This can't happen"....Aaron Denson (NCAA National champ & Coach)

“The thing is, because of wrestling, I have a mindset that is strong. Exceptionally strong, I don’t believe in the four-letter word ‘quit.’ I don’t believe in the four-letter word ‘can’t." ....Dan Gable (Olympic Champion, NCAA Champion - Wrestling Icon)

"I don't know what to say about the IOC's decision to drop wrestling from its games! I hate that future generations will not be able to compete for this title! We as a community need to stand strong with a voice of many an get this changed! Wrestling is a foundation sport of our youth that we can not let go of! We are to many and only we can make it happen!"....Zac Dominguez (USA Wrestling Greco - Roman coach of the year)

"Let's drop one of the original sports of the games? No sense."....Jeremy Dittmer (Wrestling fan)

"Very simply, we sit back and take it or we get active and do what pentathlon did and start hustling and showing what we are. There are millions of us out there and we have let our voices be heard. We need to show the IOC why they are wrong."...."J.D. Olivia (NCAA Wrestler & Wrestling film documentarian)

"This is every wrestlers' dream. … It's like the World Cup of soccer. It's the greatest event. It's the most prestigious and premiere. It's the very top of the pyramid. It's the Super Bowl. It's only once every four years. There are hundreds of thousands of kids out there where if that were to happen, they don't have that World Cup of soccer. Just the thought is definitely a tragedy. But I think wrestling is very strong worldwide, and we're going to find out just how strong."....Cael Sanderson (Olympic Champion, Undefeated NCAA Champion, NCAA Champion coach, Wrestling Icon)

"By cutting Olympic wrestling, the IOC has officially pissed off the most physically fit and tenaciously aggressive humans on earth. Well done."...Taiten Weatherbee (NCAA Team Champion wrestler)

When my son won his 2011 NCAA championship, a letter came in the mail a few days later from the USA Olympic Wrestling Training Center with a standard offer to come train for the 2016 Olympics. Of and on he and I have had the conversation as to if he should go or move on with his life and just be a coach. I guess there is no need to have that conversation any more. Way to kill a wrestler and his families dream and finalize his competitive career, International Olympic Committee....Andre' Morgan (Wrestling fan)

Last edited by MR TWISTER; 02-13-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-12-2013
Varsity

I was stunned to say the least hearing this yesterday. I read your article Andre, and maybe because my own son wrestled HS timeframe and conference with Drendel, his comment stood out. What have we become??
Old 02-12-2013
Olympian

AWESOME! Even less incentive for kids to wrestle!
Old 02-12-2013
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvern77 View Post
AWESOME! Even less incentive for kids to wrestle!
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/909/1...-a-core-sport/

Maybe, just maybe signing a good old petition would work.
Old 02-12-2013
Fireman91

Sad News for the sport of wrestling!

My condolences to all wrestling fans. I only hope colleges do not follow this trend !

http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/st...6pLid%3D269296
Old 02-12-2013
Olympian

Unfortunately, wrestling has become a victim of a few men who determine its fate in the Games. It's really not much different than congress running our lives. A few men running the lives and fates of many. There was a secret vote of the 15 directors who were given a list to select from. Wrestling received the most votes. How many is unknown. Conceivably, 4 or 5 may have selected wrestling and that is how the decision came down. Petitions, letters, etc will do no good. They don't care. They are adding golf and an X game type event. We need to immediately look elsewhere. It's over!
Old 02-12-2013
Varsity

I can't remember the last time I agreed with both Russia and Iran

What a strange world.
Old 02-12-2013
Olympian

A letter my son sent to numerous papers in Iowa where he coaches and one of the papers already published it (The Gazette):

Here is an opinion piece and other comments from community members, former wrestlers and coaches, on the IOC’s decision to eliminate wrestling starting with the 2020 Olympics.
"Mark Schultz, wrestling coach in Dubuque:
When I first heard that wrestling would no longer be a part of the summer Olympic games after 2016 I honestly did not believe it. I thought to myself, someone has to be playing a prank on the wrestling community. How could the International Olympic Committee honestly destroy one of the world’s oldest sports?
Unfortunately the horrifying news was real.
My first reaction was sheer anger, followed by confusion and then more anger. I do not understand how anyone can honestly believe wrestling should not be an Olympic event. Wrestling is one of the first sports in the Olympics and one of the oldest sports in the world.
For wrestlers there is no professional league after college. The Olympics are the pinnacle that every wrestler strives for. This is not a sport like football, baseball, or basketball, where there are million dollar contracts and sponsorships in your future.
Wrestlers are a very unique breed of athlete, some may even describe us as “weird.” We train countless hours for a 6-7 minute match, and then go back to training for hours on end all for the simple glory of getting our hand raised.
But, the hours spent training are so much more than preparation for a wrestling match, they are preparation for the rest of our lives.
Anyone who has ever wrestled, on any level, understands what it means to be a wrestler. This sport is so much more than the matches we wrestle; it teaches us so much more than wrestling technique. Wrestling teaches children, teenagers, and adults of all ages how to be a better person, how to be responsible, dedicated, disciplined, respectful, hard-working and how to sacrifice.
Wrestling has changed my life (and countless others) in so many ways I could not even begin to list them. I am writing this to ask you all for your support to help us save the sport that we love so much.
Taking wrestling out of the Olympics will not only affect the athletes currently training at the Olympic Training Center, this will affect every single wrestler in the WORLD from the youngest wrestler to the oldest. Please take a few minutes out of your day to sign a petition, or like a Facebook page and help save the sport of wrestling.
Although only about 0.1 percent of wrestlers will ever accomplish their goal of winning an Olympic gold medal, 100 percent of us have dreamed about and chased that dream. Do not let them take that dream away from us."
For more information on how to have your voice heard, find me on twitter @DubuqueWrestlin and use the hashtag #SaveOlympicWrestling

Last edited by Luvwrestling; 02-12-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-16-2013
ILWrestle.com

From Today's Daily Herald

Old 02-18-2013
Wrestling Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILWrestle View Post
Classic and true...