Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-07-2019
will-I-am's Avatar
will-I-am will-I-am is offline
hawkeye 4 life
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Reasons View Post
Started out weird . Worst national anthem I have ever heard. Everyone around me asked if it was a joke.
Need I ask who sang the national anthem?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-07-2019
Tilt0321 Tilt0321 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 113
The team was made up of extremely talented wrestlers. They had four kids back out. To call it weak makes me wounded where your coming from, to talk abut a team with the exception of four, all nationally ranked, weak is pathetic on your part Mckbin. Especially for a guy with absolutely no wrestling credentials himself, other than call highly accomplished wrestlers weak , all I believe with the exception of a few are wrestling Division 1. Iím sure if they put an all OPRF team out they would have ran away with it. Team USA, selects from the whole country, we put together a team from one state. Much of that same group has won national championships at Fargo, and at national Duels.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-08-2019
PapaBearSLIM's Avatar
PapaBearSLIM PapaBearSLIM is offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wakanda
Posts: 5,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt0321 View Post
The team was made up of extremely talented wrestlers. They had four kids back out. To call it weak makes me wounded where your coming from, to talk abut a team with the exception of four, all nationally ranked, weak is pathetic on your part Mckbin. Especially for a guy with absolutely no wrestling credentials himself, other than call highly accomplished wrestlers weak , all I believe with the exception of a few are wrestling Division 1. Iím sure if they put an all OPRF team out they would have ran away with it. Team USA, selects from the whole country, we put together a team from one state. Much of that same group has won national championships at Fargo, and at national Duels.
I pretty much agree. Cringed when I read it. It is not the 1st but hopefully the last time a high school kid is publicly called weak by someone that considers themselves part of the local wrestling media. Paying to listen to some guy call your kid weak on a broadcast...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-08-2019
Truth is Out There's Avatar
Truth is Out There Truth is Out There is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
I pretty much agree. Cringed when I read it. It is not the 1st but hopefully the last time a high school kid is publicly called weak by someone that considers themselves part of the local wrestling media. Paying to listen to some guy call your kid weak on a broadcast...
Are you referring to some comment made on a broadcast of the event (or a podcast)? or the comment made earlier on this thread?

I sincerely hope it's not the latter.
__________________
"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be." -- P.C. Hodgell

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

ďBeing honest may not get you a lot of friends but itíll always get you the right ones.Ē -- John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-08-2019
mckbln's Avatar
mckbln mckbln is offline
Sergeant Major
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: River Forest, IL
Posts: 10,002
Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt0321 View Post
The team was made up of extremely talented wrestlers. They had four kids back out. To call it weak makes me wounded where your coming from, to talk abut a team with the exception of four, all nationally ranked, weak is pathetic on your part Mckbin. Especially for a guy with absolutely no wrestling credentials himself, other than call highly accomplished wrestlers weak , all I believe with the exception of a few are wrestling Division 1. I’m sure if they put an all OPRF team out they would have ran away with it. Team USA, selects from the whole country, we put together a team from one state. Much of that same group has won national championships at Fargo, and at national Duels.
I apologize, you are right, poor choice of words on my part. Yes, we had kids back out due to injury, etc. They put the best they could out there v a pretty loaded Team USA.

Now having said that, your comment about a guy "with absolutley no wrestling credentials is also pathetic. I wrestled for OPRF, Augustana College, spent one summer refing kids wrestling, served as a volunteer coach for a local Fayetteville High School wrestling team for several years while being stationed at Ft Bragg, won the USWF NC Freestyle Sr Division title at 60kg, competed in the Tarheel Classic, finished 2nd in the 18th Abn Corps Freestyle championships also at 60kg and had an invite to the All-Army Training Camp and Freestyle Wrestling Trials...I turned it down because in my career field (Special Forces) there is no way in HELL I was going to get a release anyway. I also spent several years as an assistant coach for the Little Huskies.

Mack Bolen. Out.
__________________



"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."

Last edited by mckbln; 04-09-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-08-2019
maddog81 maddog81 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 883
Weak probably wasn't the best word. Overmatched due to superior talent on the USA team. I thought USA would win by 35-40 points. Unfortunately illinois team didn't have their best on the mat.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-08-2019
gulach gulach is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 165
With an event like this, it is only going to last if individual states can put out their best of the best at each weight class.

It is great that the USA team will travel to Illinois and bring all those hammers, but when we have guys who are nationally ranked back out/sit out whatever reason, I personally think it does not look good.

Team Illinois wrestled tough, physical but was outmatched. The USA team was no Joke.

Pick one:

Winning a state championship
Beat number 2 ranked kid in the country

Colorado Springs
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-08-2019
PapaBearSLIM's Avatar
PapaBearSLIM PapaBearSLIM is offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wakanda
Posts: 5,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth is Out There View Post
Are you referring to some comment made on a broadcast of the event (or a podcast)? or the comment made earlier on this thread?

I sincerely hope it's not the latter.
Same word used to describe kids on more than one broadcast. I didn't watch this one.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-08-2019
PapaBearSLIM's Avatar
PapaBearSLIM PapaBearSLIM is offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wakanda
Posts: 5,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulach View Post
With an event like this, it is only going to last if individual states can put out their best of the best at each weight class.

It is great that the USA team will travel to Illinois and bring all those hammers, but when we have guys who are nationally ranked back out/sit out whatever reason, I personally think it does not look good.

Team Illinois wrestled tough, physical but was outmatched. The USA team was no Joke.

Pick one:

Winning a state championship
Beat number 2 ranked kid in the country

Colorado Springs
State all day every day. This is Illinois.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-08-2019
Truth is Out There's Avatar
Truth is Out There Truth is Out There is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
Same word used to describe kids on more than one broadcast. I didn't watch this one.
There was nothing wrong with the comment made on here.

Penn State was weaker this year than they were the last few... did I insult anyone?
__________________
"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be." -- P.C. Hodgell

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

ďBeing honest may not get you a lot of friends but itíll always get you the right ones.Ē -- John Lennon
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.