Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IESA

Old 03-13-2007

Convocation Center

What did everyone think of facilities and treatment at NIU Convocation Center?
Old 03-13-2007
Olympian

Center

I think the facility is a great place for wrestling. Plenty of room and able to see the clocks well from anywhere.

The only thing I didnt like was the way they didnt let wrestlers bring in their own food and drinks. These kids should not be forced to eat the greasy, unhealthy food provided by the center when they have a match to prepare for, and they should be able to have their own drinks as well.

But overall it was a great facility.
Old 03-13-2007

That was my biggest complaint. They need to supply some fruit and healthier food if they are going to be that strict. We had coaches trying to bring food (fruit & sub sandwiches) in and they wouldn't let them.

I thought they took the security issue a little to far. They weren't letting people back in without a ticket, they had a stamp but not a ticket.
Old 03-13-2007

This was our first year with the IESA, the previous 2 years were with IKWF.
I was very happy with the efficiency & Convocation Center in general. I agree that the wrestlers should be able to bring in some foods.
All in all this was a great experience for myself & my son.
And being from a small school but still being able to medal, even against much larger programs, made me even prouder.
Thanks to all the great fans, coaches, and wrestlers. Hope to see you next year with a different son!!
Old 03-14-2007
Varsity

I don't like all the breaks. After every round there was like a one hour break. Thats more of Dekalb running the tournament not NIU. I think they need to get a real security staff, one other than Dekalb parents, they seem to let a few kids sneek by with out passes but wouldn't let others in with out a stamp and pass.
Old 03-14-2007

Send a message via MSN to D'Rock
i agree with the food thing, but also they were so strict about being on the railings, there was a part where u could video tape and take pictures, and they wouldnt let u do it with ur phone and kicked u out
Old 03-14-2007
far north coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highc95 View Post
I don't like all the breaks. After every round there was like a one hour break. Thats more of Dekalb running the tournament not NIU. I think they need to get a real security staff, one other than Dekalb parents, they seem to let a few kids sneek by with out passes but wouldn't let others in with out a stamp and pass.
The breaks are there to allow for the 45 minutes between each wrestlers match, which is a National Federation rule.
Old 03-14-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Rock View Post
i agree with the food thing, but also they were so strict about being on the railings, there was a part where u could video tape and take pictures, and they wouldnt let u do it with ur phone and kicked u out
i agree, there was one time were I was with my coach watching someones match and they yelled at us and made us go into the stands and there was like 20 seconds left and then we were watching on the stairs and they made us leave with about 5 seconds left. So I think next year they do need to get more professional security
Old 03-15-2007
Junior Varsity

Overall I was extremely disappointed with the whole event. Yes the mats could be seen from pretty much anywhere, but the stands were so empty (obviously that has nothing to do with the facilities it was just an observation). I hated the fact that wrestlers couldn't get their own food and drinks and were forced to rely on dippin' dots and greasy food all weekend. I couldn't even take my food in! I thought that all in all the security left little to be desired, except for my desire to fight them. Outside of the tournament director, I thought the whole lot of them were incredibly rude.
Old 03-15-2007
2nd in Command

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Rock View Post
And there was no place at all for the kids who were keeping score!

They should have been allowed to be in the photo area at the very least, because they aren't allowed in the lower area where the wrestlers are!
Sponsored Links