Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 01-11-2019
Varsity

Forgot to say Kanzler also came up big in a hard fought match.
Old 01-12-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
Forgot to say Kanzler also came up big in a hard fought match.
Right on. Without Kanzler and Gasbarro, that's a loss for the ILLINI. They are heroes for the day. Kanzler's opponent (Enriquez) came into the match at 10-10, but last year he was 18-4. This is the fourth year that Gasbarro's opponent (Ritchie) has been in the starting lineup. Congratulations on these big wins!

Barone had a nice win against a really tough wrestler in Jake Tucker. Also, big ups to Duncan, Carr and Parker for shaking off cobwebs and injuries to get victories against good opponents. Each win was crucial.

The ILLINI still haven't put all their starters on the mat for a dual or tournament. Hope Guns is okay.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 01-13-2019
Olympian

125- No. 14 Travis Piotrowski (ILL) dec. No. 11 Drew Mattin (UM) ILL 3, UM 0
133- No. 3 Stevan Micic (UM) major dec. No. 20 Dylan Duncan (ILL), 18-8 UM 4, ILL 3
141- No. 5 Mike Carr (ILL) dec. No. 6 Kanen Storr 3-2, ILL 6, UM 4
149- Malik Amine (U-M) dec. Christian Kanzler, 4-0, UM 7, ILL 6
157 -- No. 14 Alec Pantaleo (U-M) dec. No. 12 Eric Barone, 10-3, UM 10, ILL 6
165 -- No. 3 Logan Massa (U-M) tech. fall Nick Gasbarro, 24-9 (5:42), UM 15, ILL 6
174 -- No. 3 Myles Amine (U-M) dec. Carver James, 12-3, UM 19, ILL 6
184 -- No. 2 Emery Parker (UI) major dec. J.T. Correll, 15-4, UM 19, ILL 10
197- Jackson Striggow(U-M) dec. Matt Wroblewski, 8-5, UM 22, ILL 10
HWT- No. 3 Mason Parris (U-M) Fall Deuce Rachal, 5:57, UM 28, ILL 10

We got a great and pretty bad-*** picture out of that dual! Kind of gross, but love the action. Just think, Michael Carr will probably perfect the nanobots that future wrestlers will use to microscopically cauterize nosebleeds. Big win for Pio tonight. He needed to bounce back, and he did. Mattin is a quality wrestler, and now Piotrowski has a 3-1 college record against him. Have to hand it to Carr and Parker coming back to face quality opposition over the weekend.
There is no ducking from these guys.
I think Wroblewski acquitted himself well, taking a lead into the third period against a ranked opponent. They all had to wrestle back-to-back except for Wroblewski, so that sure didn't help ILLINOIS. Barone had a must-win the night before against a really tough wrestler, and then ran into Pantaleo.
Does anybody think that Michigan ended the Pantaleo-to-149 experiment and brought Parris out of redshirt to beat the ILLINI? I don't think so either, but it didn't help.

GO ILLINI!!!

Last edited by ChiefIllini1; 01-14-2019 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-13-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post

125- No. 14 Travis Piotrowski (ILL) dec. No. 11 Drew Mattin (UM) ILL 3, UM 0
133- No. 3 Stevan Micic (UM) major dec. No. 20 Dylan Duncan (ILL), 18-8 UM 4, ILL 3
141- No. 5 Mike Carr (ILL) dec. No. 6 Kanen Storr 3-2, ILL 6, UM 4
149- Malik Amine (U-M) dec. Christian Kanzler, 4-0, UM 7, ILL 6
157 -- No. 14 Alec Pantaleo (U-M) dec. No. 12 Eric Barone, 10-3, UM 10, ILL 6
165 -- No. 3 Logan Massa (U-M) tech. fall Nick Gasbarro, 24-9 (5:42), UM 15, ILL 6
174 -- No. 3 Myles Amine (U-M) dec. Carver James, 12-3, UM 19, ILL 6
184 -- No. 2 Emery Parker (UI) major dec. J.T. Correll, 15-4, UM 19, ILL 10
197- Jackson Striggow(U-M) dec. Matt Wroblewski, 8-5, UM 22, ILL 10
HWT- No. 3 Mason Parris (U-M) Fall Deuce Rachal, 5:57, UM 28, ILL 10

We got a great a pretty bad-*** picture out of that dual! Kind of gross, but love the action. Just think, Michael Carr will probably perfect the nanobots that future wrestlers will use to microscopically cauterize nosebleeds. Big win for Pio tonight. He needed to bounce back, and he did. Mattin is a quality wrestler, and now Piotrowski has a 3-1 college record against him. Have to hand it to Carr and Parker coming back to face quality opposition over the weekend.
There is no ducking from these guys.
I think Wroblewski acquitted himself well, taking a lead into the third period against a ranked opponent. They all had to wrestle back-to-back except for Wroblewski, so that sure didn't help ILLINOIS. Barone had a must-win the night before against a really tough wrestler, and then ran into Pantaleo.
Does anybody think that Michigan ended the Pantaleo-to-149 experiment and brought Parris out of redshirt to beat the ILLINI? I don't think so either, but it didn't help.

GO ILLINI!!!
Striggow isn't ranked on Intermat/Flo or in the box score you have. Could see Andre Lee shaking his head from the bench as Wroblewski gave up the second easy takedown and then back points. Maybe this will be motivation for Lee or he won't get another chance as senior due to getting pinned against MSU.

Its too bad that there are 5 former Illinois wrestlers ranked in the top 11 at 197 and none are at U of I. I don't think Wroblewski is the answer.

Also, heard the Pantaleo weight move was due to him being really sick for awhile before midlands and being way down in weight.
Old 01-13-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwrestling View Post
Striggow isn't ranked on Intermat/Flo or in the box score you have. Could see Andre Lee shaking his head from the bench as Wroblewski gave up the second easy takedown and then back points. Maybe this will be motivation for Lee or he won't get another chance as senior due to getting pinned against MSU.

Its too bad that there are 5 former Illinois wrestlers ranked in the top 11 at 197 and none are at U of I. I don't think Wroblewski is the answer.

Also, heard the Pantaleo weight move was due to him being really sick for awhile before midlands and being way down in weight.
Let's face it guys. At this point in the season we're marginal at 149, 174, 197 and 285. Those weights are probable losses against any team in the middle to upper half of the Big 10, which leaves little room for error in the remaining weights. The team right now has very little quality depth, so we cannot afford to have any injuries to our starters.
Old 01-13-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwrestling View Post

Striggow was ranked at least as high as #16 until recently:

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestlin...ts-No-6-Lehigh

Are you really ready to give up on a redshirt freshman who carried a lead into the third period against a ranked or fringe-ranked wrestler at an away meet, and who got his first start in that match? If so, I don't think that I trust your judgment.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 01-13-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
Let's face it guys. At this point in the season we're marginal at 149, 174, 197 and 285. Those weights are probable losses against any team in the middle to upper half of the Big 10, which leaves little room for error in the remaining weights. The team right now has very little quality depth, so we cannot afford to have any injuries to our starters.
Little quality depth? Carver James came off the bench to become ranked, has beaten at least one ranked guy and acquited himself very well. See my post above about Wroblewski. Kanzler was a late transfer who just beat a Michigan State four-year starter. We haven't seen the best of him yet. Cheer up!

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 01-13-2019
Olympian

About the BTN broadcast of the MSU dual, I have some strong opinions. Just like Wrestlestat.com, I think BTN wrestling broadcasts are awesome and invaluable in almost all respects, but I sometimes focus on picayune, negative things. Tell me if this is a RIGHTEOUS RANT OR WHINEY BLEATING:

I used to box. Never made it past three-rounders because my punches had all the power and effectiveness of a Nerf gun. I can tell you this, though: After three rounds, my arms were dead. Could barely lift them.

That's what your whole body feels like when you wrestle.

You never hear anybody refer to a boxer as a "player." If I hear another student broadcaster refer to a wrestler as a player, or wrestling team members as players, I'm going to lapse into a fugue state, travel to wherever that broadcast originated from, hunt down the broadcaster, and wrestle him for four straight hours. Then, he can decide if we're "playing."

The color man on the MSU broadcast was a former Spartan wrestler and a total homer. That was awesome! He dug and still digs the whole MSU wrestling scene. I can get behind that. I only ask that he apply a bow and arrow next time his partner says "player."

So, Righteous Rant or Whiney Bleating?
Old 01-14-2019
Junior Varsity

Some of those broadcasters are terrible. Last year against Indiana, the kid kept saying he didn't know why they weren't getting takedowns awarded for mat returns. That being said, I'll never complain because I want more wrestling coverage
Old 01-14-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
Little quality depth? Carver James came off the bench to become ranked, has beaten at least one ranked guy and acquited himself very well. See my post above about Wroblewski. Kanzler was a late transfer who just beat a Michigan State four-year starter. We haven't seen the best of him yet. Cheer up!

GO ILLINI!!!
I applaud your positivity, but my statement still rings true: we are marginal at 4 out of 10 weight classes that are probable losses against mid and upper tier Big 10 teams. I, like you, hope we haven't seen the best of Kanzler, James and Wroblewski, because we need them going forward.
Sponsored Links