Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 03-25-2019
Varsity

Illinois line up for 2019-2020 year

Now that the "excitement" is over, does anyone want to take a shot at the line up for this coming year?

My thoughts are (assuming no redshirts or some moving up in weight):

125- Pio (needs to work on takedowns all summer)
133- Duncan (new and improved, I hope)
141- Carr (Healthy all year)
149- Kanzler (God, I hope not)
157- Barone (Please, please spend all summer with Poeta)
165- Gunther (same as Barone)
174- Riojas, I presume, or Mologousis (not overly optimistic either way since
they could not beat out James)
184- Braunagel (Here comes the future)
197- Wroblewski (Couldn't beat out Lee)
285- Luffman (Should be an improvement right off the bat)

Anyone know what the team has planned for the summer? Does everyone stay on campus or go home? Freestyle tournaments?
Old 03-26-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
Now that the "excitement" is over, does anyone want to take a shot at the line up for this coming year?

My thoughts are (assuming no redshirts or some moving up in weight):

125- Pio (needs to work on takedowns all summer)
133- Duncan (new and improved, I hope)
141- Carr (Healthy all year)
149- Kanzler (God, I hope not)
157- Barone (Please, please spend all summer with Poeta)
165- Gunther (same as Barone)
174- Riojas, I presume, or Mologousis (not overly optimistic either way since
they could not beat out James)
184- Braunagel (Here comes the future)
197- Wroblewski (Couldn't beat out Lee)
285- Luffman (Should be an improvement right off the bat)

Anyone know what the team has planned for the summer? Does everyone stay on campus or go home? Freestyle tournaments?
This is the lineup I hope to see next year.....

125. Justin Cardani
133. Travis Piotrowski
141. Dylan Duncan
149. Michael Carr
157. Eric Barone
165. Danny Braunagel
174. Joey Gunther
184. Zac Braunagel
197. Matt Wroblewski
285. Luke Luffman
Old 03-26-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MslWrestler119 View Post
This is the lineup I hope to see next year.....

125. Justin Cardani
133. Travis Piotrowski
141. Dylan Duncan
149. Michael Carr
157. Eric Barone
165. Danny Braunagel
174. Joey Gunther
184. Zac Braunagel
197. Matt Wroblewski
285. Luke Luffman
I don't know about any plans to redshirt Luke Luffman or DJ "The Future" Shannon, but if they go next year, I think they both start. If you add both of them into the mix, that's gonna be a strong lineup top to bottom.

Maybe a situation where you keep them in a redshirt and wrestle them extensively in opens through the Midlands before making a decision?

I like your lower weight lineup because (a) Michael Carr has gone through a very obvious growth spurt, and (b) Pio has been putting muscle on what is already a long, long 125 frame. Plus, it allows Cardani--a full feed wrestler--into the lineup and he deserves a look. It would also take care of 149 (although Kanzler worked his butt off to get better, and I suspect he will get better, maybe a lot better).

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 03-26-2019
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
I'm curious if any of these guys are in a position to take an Olympic red shirt.

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Old 03-26-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbln View Post
I'm curious if any of these guys are in a position to take an Olympic red shirt.
They aren't.

Here is the criteria:

1. Past national team members (top three from the World or Olympic Team Trials)

2. Top eight at the 2019 Senior U.S. Open

3. Top three at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship; or NCAA champion from a previous year AND top two from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both).

4. Previous Cadet, Junior, U23 world medalist
Old 03-27-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
I don't know about any plans to redshirt Luke Luffman or DJ "The Future" Shannon, but if they go next year, I think they both start. If you add both of them into the mix, that's gonna be a strong lineup top to bottom.

Maybe a situation where you keep them in a redshirt and wrestle them extensively in opens through the Midlands before making a decision?

I like your lower weight lineup because (a) Michael Carr has gone through a very obvious growth spurt, and (b) Pio has been putting muscle on what is already a long, long 125 frame. Plus, it allows Cardani--a full feed wrestler--into the lineup and he deserves a look. It would also take care of 149 (although Kanzler worked his butt off to get better, and I suspect he will get better, maybe a lot better).

GO ILLINI!!!
I like what I have seen so far from Cardani. I'm a little concerned about Carr at 149 since he didn't look that big at 141, and especially against that muscle man he lost to in the NCAAs. I've heard good things about the bigger Braunagel, but don't know much about the smaller one. I think Luffman could have an immediate impact on the team.
Old 03-28-2019
Olympian

Transition from HS to college

Being a big fan of HS wrestling, while having never been a wrestler, I have a question for people on the website. What do people feel are the best indicators that a top HS wrestler will be able to translate his skills to be a top D1 wrestler. I ask because I have seen so many situations where "can't miss" prospects do not become top level college wrestlers. Wondering what college coaches are looking for when they recruit.
Old 03-28-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainefan View Post
Being a big fan of HS wrestling, while having never been a wrestler, I have a question for people on the website. What do people feel are the best indicators that a top HS wrestler will be able to translate his skills to be a top D1 wrestler. I ask because I have seen so many situations where "can't miss" prospects do not become top level college wrestlers. Wondering what college coaches are looking for when they recruit.
This is a great question. I think a lot of it has to do with their discipline and work ethic and sometimes bad luck.

If you look at the rankings from a few years ago, the top kids are still for the most part doing well.

O'Connor, Early, White, Brucki, Warner were all highy ranked and were AA this year.

Then you have guys like Gunther, Barone, Oster, Yates, Hayes, Brunner that weren't blue chippers like the above who are qualifying for NCAAs.

Then you have other stories like Jered Cortez(injuries), Renteria(academics/weight?), Mahomes(injuries)

Other guys, who were highly ranked: Gomez(qualified for NCAAs) and Cassioppi it remains to be seen if they will pan out.

IMO, which is not an expert opinion by any means, the guys who pan out are the guys who are athletic specimens or who are super disciplined. The guys who have been great wrestlers all their lives but aren't that athletic or undisciplined are the guys who flame out. Sometimes injuries derail even the best.

I will say that OPRF seems to be the Illinois high school program that has the most success at the collegiate level. So what is happening in that room?
Old 03-28-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Mat wrestling is HUGE if you are going to be successful in college. A big reason why many top Illinois prep wrestlers do not pan out in college is that they have focused far too much effort on being outstanding on their feet at the expense of not also focusing on developing stellar mat skills. The "take down, let em up" game that so many of our top high school wrestlers exploit sure might please many fans and humiliate their opponents, but it does not necessarily translate into being successful at the next level.

For whatever reason, Illinois wrestling went through a long stretch where we thought the takedown was the be all end all and mat wrestling wasn't important. Many great wrestlers from the top kids clubs would become absolute takedown machines, and we would never get to see anything they had from the top or bottom. That dominance carried them through high school and may have also served them well in freestyle.

I think we are seeing some changes over the last 5-7 years. We are seeing more of the top Illinois high school programs (Marmion, Montini, Sandburg, etc.) focus on mat wrestling and we will see it start to pay dividends as more Illinois wrestlers will start to fulfill their potential ad the college level too.
Old 03-28-2019
Varsity

Quote:
I believe coaches should look at an athlete and project where he will be when presented with college level wrestlers. In addition to a certain skill level, the prospect should have excellent athletic ability, be coachable, and most important, have the mental toughness and self confidence that allows him to compete at his best no matter the level of the competition. These latter two traits are what have been too often lacking in the current Illini, in my opinion. These are also things that cannot be taught; you are born with them.
Sponsored Links