Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-03-2019
ChiefIllini1 ChiefIllini1 is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,452
The ILLINI get More Size!



And here is the tweet:


This is more great news for the ILLINI! Sizemore is an Ohio State Champ and an Ohio State placewinner. A couple of thoughts:

-- The LaSalle Lancers have become a major national player.

-- Trey Sizemore can redshirt while Braunagel and D.J. Shannon (or somebody else) takes over the 174 and 184 spots.

-- Sizemore is an excellent student.

-- He'll fit right in with Lucas Byrd and then E'lan Heard on campus.

-- What happens to the ILLINI's recruiting ranking now?

GO ILLINI!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-03-2019
ChiefIllini1 ChiefIllini1 is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,452
P.S. Hat tip and thanks to BEAR-HUG for breaking the news for this forum. Cheers!

GO ILLINI!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-03-2019
dadudaman4 dadudaman4 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post


And here is the tweet:


This is more great news for the ILLINI! Sizemore is an Ohio State Champ and an Ohio State placewinner. A couple of thoughts:

-- The LaSalle Lancers have become a major national player.

-- Trey Sizemore can redshirt while Braunagel and D.J. Shannon (or somebody else) takes over the 174 and 184 spots.

-- Sizemore is an excellent student.

-- He'll fit right in with Lucas Byrd and then E'lan Heard on campus.

-- What happens to the ILLINI's recruiting ranking now?

GO ILLINI!!!
This is very good news. I don't know anything about this kid, but a state champ from Ohio is always good. Any news on how the staff seems to have changed some of its recruiting focus to out of state athletes?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-04-2019
ChiefIllini1 ChiefIllini1 is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
This is very good news. I don't know anything about this kid, but a state champ from Ohio is always good. Any news on how the staff seems to have changed some of its recruiting focus to out of state athletes?
You don't really believe "the staff [has] changed some of its recruiting focus to out of state athletes," do you? You've been around long enough to know that you take a blue chipper anywhere you find him. The ILLINI have a lot of in-state studs in the lineup and more on the way.

The staff seems to be poised to do some great in-state recruiting based upon make up and personality. Poeta is a legend, but especially in Chicagoland. Medlin is a legend downstate. Throw in IMAR's personality (and the tear he's on) and Jeremy Hunter's resume (trained 2x Champ; 3x Finalists) and you've got great people pushing a great product.

These guys are Penske material!

GO ILLINI!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-04-2019
GrossNoises GrossNoises is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
You don't really believe "the staff [has] changed some of its recruiting focus to out of state athletes," do you? You've been around long enough to know that you take a blue chipper anywhere you find him. The ILLINI have a lot of in-state studs in the lineup and more on the way.

The staff seems to be poised to do some great in-state recruiting based upon make up and personality. Poeta is a legend, but especially in Chicagoland. Medlin is a legend downstate. Throw in IMAR's personality (and the tear he's on) and Jeremy Hunter's resume (trained 2x Champ; 3x Finalists) and you've got great people pushing a great product.

These guys are Penske material!

GO ILLINI!!!
Do not mention Medlin's name in the same sentence as Poeta and Martinez as being legendary. That's the most suspect hire in Big 10 athletics today. What other serious Big 10 program hires a high school coach to run their training center? Good coach, sure, but he's a dime a dozen. Let's not act like he developed all those Washington kids (that would rather wrestle for Iowa and Missouri anyways).

Illinois is a bad wrestling program. You are a cape wearing fool.

Someone quote me so he can heard these GrossNoises.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-04-2019
Earl Campbell Earl Campbell is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrossNoises View Post
Do not mention Medlin's name in the same sentence as Poeta and Martinez as being legendary. That's the most suspect hire in Big 10 athletics today. What other serious Big 10 program hires a high school coach to run their training center? Good coach, sure, but he's a dime a dozen. Let's not act like he developed all those Washington kids (that would rather wrestle for Iowa and Missouri anyways).

Illinois is a bad wrestling program. You are a cape wearing fool.

Someone quote me so he can heard these GrossNoises.
Medlin is a great technical coach and a great motivator. Not everybody can wrestle for the U of I. Last time I checked Iowa and Mizzou are top 5 programs. He has wrestlers all over the country.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-04-2019
GrossNoises GrossNoises is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 178
Thanks for quoting me so my other arch nemesis can see it. How was PCB and Vegas? I can just picture you putting all your dolla bills in thongs for an entire week. You know you're a dirty little rascal.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-05-2019
Red Turban Red Turban is offline
Double stud
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,762
Scott Goodale at Rutgers was brought up out of high school coaching. He built the RU program from nowhere to where they are today.

A lot of the best coaches were not necessarily the most prolific players.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-05-2019
DevilsAdvocate DevilsAdvocate is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrossNoises View Post
Do not mention Medlin's name in the same sentence as Poeta and Martinez as being legendary. That's the most suspect hire in Big 10 athletics today. What other serious Big 10 program hires a high school coach to run their training center? Good coach, sure, but he's a dime a dozen. Let's not act like he developed all those Washington kids (that would rather wrestle for Iowa and Missouri anyways).

Illinois is a bad wrestling program. You are a cape wearing fool.

Someone quote me so he can heard these GrossNoises.
Jeff Buxton. Obviously an extreme example as he coached at #1 Blair Academy, but Washington was ranked Nationally with Medlin at the helm. How many Blair kids lived in their district? Not to mention his track record of recruiting and bringing in Greco guys (Think Gophers and Bulking up the numbers of the IRTC with top level GR talent).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-05-2019
GrossNoises GrossNoises is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Jeff Buxton. Obviously an extreme example as he coached at #1 Blair Academy, but Washington was ranked Nationally with Medlin at the helm. How many Blair kids lived in their district? Not to mention his track record of recruiting and bringing in Greco guys (Think Gophers and Bulking up the numbers of the IRTC with top level GR talent).
Calling US greco wrestlers "top talent" is synonymous with Mexican freestyle wrestlers being "top talent". Medlin is a great high school level coach and organizer of talent (Eureka and Mt. Zion are not Washington school district middle schools). He also did great work with the national team at Fargo and is very committed to mastering how to teach the sport. The rub is he should have started at a place like SIU-E or NIU first. You cannot genuinely call following Mark Perry with Medlin a win. It's a head scratching hire that will either pay off exponentially or fail miserably.

While I do agree that Medlin was a terrific recruiter of high school kids, he kind of won the lottery by having the only passable program below I-80 with tremendous support for the administration. That is nowhere near the type of recruiter or nationally recognized name that Buxton kids. Like it or not a lot of kids go to schools because of the name recognition of the coaches, that's what makes the Poeta hire huge and keeping IMar around important. Medlin is just one of hundreds of high school coaches across the country who put together a tremendous state level program.

Either way no one will really care anyways. Other than ChiefIllini, but he is so obviously clueless that it'll just be more of "wait til next year!"
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.