Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
Now. Not soon. Now.
Not gun control, people control.
Old 08-05-2019
Olympian

Ban video games?
Old 08-05-2019
Olympian

and the low rated, Fake news, CNN is out there photo shopping videos. The president said his heart is with the people of Toledo! They posted other clips from his rallies of other things he said and I know they are all fake!
Old 08-05-2019
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
A few points. First of all, regardless of WTF Trump said, a mature, rational, SANE person doesn't take a semi-automatic rifle...and that's what it was, NOT an "assault rifle", and shoot innocent people. Period. Secondly, given the shooter's mental health history he should not have been able to purchase or own a firearm; here in Illinois he would have been immediately flagged. Go back a few years to the Texas church shooter; had the Texas State Police had his Bad Conduct discharge from the Air Force for felony spousal abuse HE would not have been able to own a firearm legally. Here in Illinois a few years ago the Red Flag bill passed here in Illinois...the first edition was terrible but the ISRA (Illinois State Rifle Association) worked with a bi-partisan committee and passed a common sense Red Flag Law. The only flaw in the system comes when things aren't reported, because the Illinois State Police files for both FOID and CCL are updated DAILY. I would also point out that a few years ago a Sun Times reporter was trying to do an expose on how easy it was to purchase a firearm, and went to Maxons, a gun shop and indoor range I go to often, and tried to purchase a firearm. He failed the background check when an assault charge showed up and was denied the purchase. We have laws that work when the proper information is shared and the laws are enforced.

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Old 08-05-2019

Give Trump a break. MASH is one of his favorite shows and the Mudhens are his favorite minor league team.
Old 08-05-2019
Olympian

Enough talking about states! We need a national database. That means if you want to buy a firearm youíre gonna put your Social Security down and be known nationwide! A $15 Illinois fishing license requires it. When I was reluctant to give it to a 16-year-old kid at a sporting good store I was informed it is to chase down dead beat dads . I said now thatís an idea! And gladly give it out every year.

Man you can call that gun whatever you want if the cops took him out in one minute and he got something like 30 - 40 rounds off you call it a squirt gun as far as Iím concerned.

You donít have to tell me about Texas I lived there and taught Texas history I know the law. Real far right Texans donít even think they should have anything to do with the United States of America.

Iím surprised you didnít drop the obvious go to phrase. There are killings in Chicago and Illinois has the strict gun laws. I got one word for you, Indiana!

Donít worry though, you guys can continue to buy and sell guns online cross state borders and all that. Because for the Republican Party, money trumps lives!

Do you know the definition of insanity? I got news for you, according to the American psychological Association, Osama bin Laden was not mentally ill. Political and racial extremist are not mentally ill. However, they can be led to follow. And the President of the United States has, arguably, the biggest megaphone in the world. Donít think of this as something about you and I Think about billions of people. I will ask you this, do you think trumps words at rallies have contributed in someway to the rise in white supremacists?
Old 08-05-2019
Olympian

Here’s another state fact for you. If you are back on child support and all that Illinois chasing you around, just move to Texas. They cannot garnish wages in anyway shape or form. They can also not seize his property that is used to make money. So if I do construction or I am in a band, they can’t touch my tools or instruments!

The framers put provisions for states for good reason. Hunting varies from state to state. I don’t think I will be using my saltwater fishing license anytime soon in Illinois . Chains on tires are completely legal in Utah with good reason. When Gun owners resist federal registration, license, background checks, it makes me think they have something to hide. So Mack, my dear friend, and in my opinion, a lawful and safe going on or, what say you? You ready to put your name and all your credentials and a federal database? I never met the family stuff to be personal. But it is true.

Last edited by oldpioneer; 08-05-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-05-2019
Olympian

I don't have a dog in this fight but of the last 88 shooters who were tabulated & met that criteria, only 14.8 percent had been diagnosed with a psychotic disorder. And even for them, it’s hard to say with any certainty that mental illness caused or contributed to their shooting.

The US does not have more crazy people and we already lock up more people than anyone. Its not like there are other countries with hunting and legal guns that we can compare to, which is a shame because that might be helpful. It is possible the 2nd Amendment was meant as a suicide pact, and if that is the cost of freedom we should live with it. As for Trump naming video games and not the real reason that statisticians have found is for entertainment only. We have had 249 mass shootings this year compared to the next country at 3, but they up'd the count required so officially we are at 130. I see arguments on both sides of this one, but the American way is for the majority of the cost of the deaths to be distributed upon the gun owners via tax. The 55 people shot every weekend in the summer should be of some concern to the locals you might think. I went to NIU, we had a mass shooting there & then just this year an intern from NIU was shot in a mass shooting, that one seemed a bit personal. These cases proved the good guy with a gun argue null as well, 9 people in 32 seconds.

I called this situation in the other thread about two weeks ago, it was inevitable.
Old 08-06-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpioneer View Post
Ban video games?
He did not say ban video games and you know it. I have read stories about how the military uses violent video games to desensitize the troops so that they are more comfortable killing people.

I think it is important to discuss what societal changes have caused the increase in mass shootings We did not have video games with rape and murder in them when we were kids...but they do now.

Mass shootings are in bold because the last time I checked violent crime went down at the same time that gun ownership went up.
Sponsored Links