Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 06-23-2016

Advice on Style & Technique for Lanky Wrestlers

My son is going into his freshman year of high school. He's a pretty good wrestler. Last season was his 3rd year wrestling and as an 8th grader he was a state qualifier at 155 (IESA). My question has to do with his body type and what aspects of technique he should focus on. At 14 years of age, he is now 6'2", 162 lbs with about 9% body fat. He's muscular and strong but lanky and still growing. He probably win's 85% of his matches but when he doesn't win, it's because he get's "caught" and pinned. He literally either wins or gets pinned! I think failure to keep his arms in tight is part of that. I'm just looking for some training advice for a lanky wrestler both offensively and defensively. I've scoured the Internet and there's not much out there on the topic.
Old 06-23-2016
Varsity

Leg riding is usually effective for lanky wrestlers. And learning to use your range on your feet by taking outside shots and making hard for those shorter opponents to get to their offense. David Taylor is a good example of a lanky wrestler. Maybe watching some of his videos your son could pick up a few things.
Old 06-24-2016
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent n deadly View Post
Leg riding is usually effective for lanky wrestlers. And learning to use your range on your feet by taking outside shots and making hard for those shorter opponents to get to their offense. David Taylor is a good example of a lanky wrestler. Maybe watching some of his videos your son could pick up a few things.
Wrestling sites tend to be dominated by ranking arguments, coaching critiques etc. The information you are looking for can be found at the site below. Not all of it will apply to wrestling, but much of it does. I know there are threads on the topic, my son had the opposite physics.
http://judoforum.com/index.php?/index?
Old 06-24-2016
Junior Varsity

Lanky Wrestler

I would suggest talking to the coach from Martinez as he has coached a lanky wrestler to a state championship and she was a young lady. The Blades young lady was in most matches a head taller than her opponents and won almost all of her matches. I was even surprised when I watched her beat some of her smaller more muscular opponents. If anyone has the key to Lanky wrestling has to be the coaches at Martinez. I was a tall wrestler and found my length advantageous when ankle picking and cradling but my suggestion would be to wrestle college style and use takedowns, escapes, and distance. If you close the distance you are doing your smaller opponent a favor.
Sponsored Links

Tags
lanky, skinny, style, technique