Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Old 07-28-2019
Varsity

Ik meeting

As the season nears, so does that time the powers that be sit down to vote on more rule changes. From what was said of possible rule changes, like last year, some make little to no sense. One that stand out is the ban on forming teams to compete in "all star" duals unless comprised of your own club, plus a few other less significant ones.
Imho the only rule change that shouldve been made was to undo all last years rule changes. If that was to happen, the adding/subtracting of weight divisions would be irrelevant because the weights coincide w/ the natural ages of the kids. In addition, IL is part of the USAW yet follows none of their basic criteria such as age divisions, bday cutoffs, nor weight classes. But to go further on this issue is talking on deaf ears.

The "allstar" dual teams being assembled. How many teams last yr at senior state duals pulled kids off a middle school team that werent on the roster prior, didnt compete w/ club after, nor did state series under ik club. Theres no difference here. I strongly encourage IK board members to rethink putting a ban on this scenerio. Theres too many double standards if you pass this rule not to mention it will not have the outcome "at least not a positive one" that you are hoping for. It would be nice if for once the IK passed or didnt pass rules for the benefit of the kids rather than political biasness for certain clubs or friends or worse yet for financial purposes.

Last year, ik passed a rule that coaches dont have to pay at the door. This was a petty rule change til it wasnt. This was the issue that drove MWT to cancel Huskie Nationals. Everyone bashed MWT calling it a money grab. Well huskie nationals wouldnt have been half the money grab rockford is. No one says anything about that. For me to bring my 2 kids to watch and support teammates and friends cost almost $300 for the weekend. If you bought weekend pass, it was $60/person "AS A SPECTATOR" yet it was only $40 to compete and/or coach at huskie nationals. If you didnt buy weekend pass i believe it was $20-30/ session. This doesnt include the multiple times you have to leave and come back so paying for multiple parking fees, So what is the real money grab. I could literally take my kids to an NFL game for cheaper than going to rockford... thats ridiculous.

You always hear people say none of this matters til HS. Is that really true? From the aspect of recognition, scholarships, etc etc, sure that may be true. But to think none of this matters now, say that to the 5-15yr olds busting their butts giving their blood, sweat, and tears for this sport. Wrestling has 1 of the highest burnout rates of any sport. Less than 1/2 of these kids will even be wrestling in HS. Of the 1/2 that do, less than 25% will even break the starting lineup. Of all kids now, less than 3% will be wrestling in college.

I say all this because why take away the opportunities some kids may get to travel and compete on a dual team or other scenerios that may peak their interest in the sport thus hopefully keeping them interested longer. For 10u, the only in season duals IL has is Bulls duals, didi duals, and I believe Storm is doing a 10u dual this upcoming yr. So for all the clubs that have the kids or roster size that can compete, great for them. What about the other clubs and kids who cant. Someone said last yr that get use to it cuz you cant form allstar duals in HS. Well this isnt HS. We should be doing more to enhance the experience to hopefully help motivate kids to stay interested in the sport rather than take away the opportunities that some may never get.

Even though it was an offseason event, il use grr as an example. At GRR, IL had 25% of the teams for 9u. That is awesome. For some of these kids, that was their 1st but hopefully not their last dual they will compete in. The experience, new friends, level of competition, and team aspect of being on these duals is priceless. Why take that away. These are only kids. They are not pro athletes so to enforce rules prohibiting what they can do is ridiculous. There's a lot of issues the IK could be addressing to make the organization better, this isnt one of them. Then the rumors of what consequences will be if you compete on a "all star" team during season is a joke. No state series... ok

1 last thing. Clubs dont own these kids. To treat kids as a commodity is ridiculous. I contacted over 50-60+ clubs trying to assemble 9u teams for grr. Not 1 club that I contacted was to get their permission because I nor anyone else needs it. My sole purpose in contacting these clubs was just to get their opinions of what kids would be up for it and if they could either reach out to the families to inquire or pass along their info to me so i can reach out. Of all clubs I contacted, 100% of the clubs were beyond helpful, encouraging, and all for it. All clubs were appreciative that they had a kid that got an invite or was considered because it shows those coaches are doing something right and THOSE coaches wanted the opportunity for the kids that belong to their club. If im lying about any of this, please any head coach call me out on it. I love youth wrestling. I love the opportunities, lessons, and experiences it offers and provides to young kids. I beg the IK to not take this away from them and start looking out for the kids interest and not a club you have political ties to.

Good luck to everyone this upcoming season and I hope IK does not pass some of these rules. I do strongly encourage double elimination at state though.

Last edited by 2on1; 08-11-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2019
Patriot

Oh. My. God.
Old 07-28-2019
Junior Varsity

Grand River is a bad example since it takes place after the season and would not be affected. Also aren't you the guy who was going to make sure their were no politics and the best were going to show what IL wrestling is all about? We may have had 25% of the teams but as far as I can tell we only had 1 team in 9u finish in the top 25%. You make a good point about burn out and I feel bantam and midget championships as well as 9u national duals and just plain starting these kids so young has a lot to do with that. Never fear this will not pass and your post will have less than zero to do with that.
Old 07-29-2019
Junior Varsity

I believe there were 10 Illinois teams at 9u. Personally I like that 1006, G2, Waukegan, Kings, SOT, YG & Wyller took their time and efforts to provide 130 spots to our intermediates and bantams. Yes, there was 1 gold pool team but there are a lot of kids who got to experience one of the best tournaments in the country and our community will be better off for their efforts.

As far as the proposal, Vac and Wildwood are the 2 duals that will get impacted the most. Those two have a lot of top Illinois kids and require a "super team" to compete. There are a few other ones that will be impacted but VAC and WW are the marquee ones giving our kids a change to compete with the best kids in the country.

The reality is that no Illinois club can compete with the super teams from NJ, PA, MI, MN etc. Nobody is spending the time and money to go to the East coast so their club team can end up at the bottom placing pool.

In the short run, the proposal will deprive Illinois kids of their chance to compete with the best or get punished for seeking out top competition.

In the long run, the result will be super clubs in Illinois. Parents with elite kids will gravitate together in season the way they do in the off season and the result will be a Sebolt or Buxton like club that travels all year and then kicks the sh*t out of everyone come state time.

I don't see how any of this is good. I also do not think this measure failing is a foregone conclusion. This time last year the age change seemed stupid and short sided and guess what....
Old 07-29-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfat145 View Post
I believe there were 10 Illinois teams at 9u. Personally I like that 1006, G2, Waukegan, Kings, SOT, YG & Wyller took their time and efforts to provide 130 spots to our intermediates and bantams. Yes, there was 1 gold pool team but there are a lot of kids who got to experience one of the best tournaments in the country and our community will be better off for their efforts.

As far as the proposal, Vac and Wildwood are the 2 duals that will get impacted the most. Those two have a lot of top Illinois kids and require a "super team" to compete. There are a few other ones that will be impacted but VAC and WW are the marquee ones giving our kids a change to compete with the best kids in the country.

The reality is that no Illinois club can compete with the super teams from NJ, PA, MI, MN etc. Nobody is spending the time and money to go to the East coast so their club team can end up at the bottom placing pool.

In the short run, the proposal will deprive Illinois kids of their chance to compete with the best or get punished for seeking out top competition.

In the long run, the result will be super clubs in Illinois. Parents with elite kids will gravitate together in season the way they do in the off season and the result will be a Sebolt or Buxton like club that travels all year and then kicks the sh*t out of everyone come state time.

I don't see how any of this is good. I also do not think this measure failing is a foregone conclusion. This time last year the age change seemed stupid and short sided and guess what....
I live in a IESA school system but always fought to keep a IK team. Why I wonít go into, that horse as been beat enough. But as a IK coach, I think they are putting in too many rules. Kind of like NASCAR, 10 years ago. They had a proven winner and kept trying to add ways to keep the chase exciting and ended up hurting the entire system. The last few years the IESA has became the old IK as it has passed less rules to allow their wrestlers to do about anything they wanted in terms of wrestling. While the IK continues to want to limit opportunities for our wrestlers. My son did the VAC etc and were important parts of his development. He was on a club of 15-20, in central Illinois. So going with another club or state team was our only way to participate. Why anyone would think thatís a bad idea all of a sudden, I have no idea. Burn out ? Recruiting? Before the ik loses more families to ie, I hope they reconsider this rule and vote accordingly. Stop messing with a winner
Recruiting is going on 24/7. This rule isnít going to curtail it. Or is it going to make less kids burn out.
Old 07-29-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcc club coach View Post
I live in a IESA school system but always fought to keep a IK team. Why I wonít go into, that horse as been beat enough. But as a IK coach, I think they are putting in too many rules. Kind of like NASCAR, 10 years ago. They had a proven winner and kept trying to add ways to keep the chase exciting and ended up hurting the entire system. The last few years the IESA has became the old IK as it has passed less rules to allow their wrestlers to do about anything they wanted in terms of wrestling. While the IK continues to want to limit opportunities for our wrestlers. My son did the VAC etc and were important parts of his development. He was on a club of 15-20, in central Illinois. So going with another club or state team was our only way to participate. Why anyone would think thatís a bad idea all of a sudden, I have no idea. Burn out ? Recruiting? Before the ik loses more families to ie, I hope they reconsider this rule and vote accordingly. Stop messing with a winner
Recruiting is going on 24/7. This rule isnít going to curtail it. Or is it going to make less kids burn out.
And the GRR is a great event. We take a team wanting to get our wrestlers some high level matches. Will we make the Gold pool ? Probably not.
But the bonding and competing together is amazing
Old 07-30-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcc club coach View Post
I live in a IESA school system but always fought to keep a IK team. Why I won’t go into, that horse as been beat enough. But as a IK coach, I think they are putting in too many rules. Kind of like NASCAR, 10 years ago. They had a proven winner and kept trying to add ways to keep the chase exciting and ended up hurting the entire system. The last few years the IESA has became the old IK as it has passed less rules to allow their wrestlers to do about anything they wanted in terms of wrestling. While the IK continues to want to limit opportunities for our wrestlers. My son did the VAC etc and were important parts of his development. He was on a club of 15-20, in central Illinois. So going with another club or state team was our only way to participate. Why anyone would think that’s a bad idea all of a sudden, I have no idea. Burn out ? Recruiting? Before the ik loses more families to ie, I hope they reconsider this rule and vote accordingly. Stop messing with a winner
Recruiting is going on 24/7. This rule isn’t going to curtail it. Or is it going to make less kids burn out.
I would assume only a small % of people actually have a choice between IESA and IKWF. What % of grade schools offer wrestling as a school sport?

(Wrestling may be slightly different than other sports in regards to how much the parent wants the kid to participate in the sport. Which is not all bad, I think some basic wrestling is a great base for basic self defense. I assume wrestlers are less worried about getting "beat-up", maybe not.) Some schools cover it in gym class. Some schools have wrestling, but not a team that competes.