Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 03-11-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 626386 View Post
You are absolutely right but that doesnít mean we canít express what we think should be done. I think it actually goes higher than Heffernan. Josh Whitman has extended not only Heffernan but also Lovie and hired Underwood as the basketball coach and where are all those programs. ( All at the bottom half of the conference)I know it is ultimately a financial issue but Illinois athletics needs better coaches and facilities
Whitman seems like a good guy and Illini to the core, but he has made 3 hires (Football, Mens and Womens basketball), and they have all been failures up to this point. Of the three, both basketball coaches will be entering their third year so there is still room to show they belong. However, as for Smith, he is going into his 4th year and last year's team may have been his least competitive in the league. Even worse, his recruiting has been at or near the bottom of the Big Ten. As for Heffernan, he is just good enough to rank in the top 12-20 most years, and it is hard to fire someone like that, even though the team can and should be much, much better. The next 2 years should be a real litmus test for him and his staff.
Old 03-11-2019
Varsity

In my opinion, they need to get better talent in town.

That's the first thing, and whoever that falls on needs to get on a plane and head to NJ, PA, OH, CO and CA. I would not waist one second recruiting Illinois kids.

G3 plane, be a baller!
Old 03-11-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulach View Post

That's the first thing, and whoever that falls on needs to get on a plane and head to NJ, PA, OH, CO and CA. I would not waist one second recruiting Illinois kids.

G3 plane, be a baller!
You're partly right. You can't just give up on recruiting Illinois kids, but I agree they should be recruiting any elite kids from wherever they reside. Recall that their last 2 national champs were from California and their last 2 top 10 recruiting classes were filled with kids from out of state. They need to get back to that if they cannot get the top kids from in state on a consistent basis.
Old 03-11-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
You're partly right. You can't just give up on recruiting Illinois kids, but I agree they should be recruiting any elite kids from wherever they reside. Recall that their last 2 national champs were from California and their last 2 top 10 recruiting classes were filled with kids from out of state. They need to get back to that if they cannot get the top kids from in state on a consistent basis.
I wonder if they are throwing matches on purpose so they get a lottery pick in next years dra.......Hey wait a minute......
Old 03-12-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 626386 View Post
I made the comment at the end of the horrible regular season that they could only go up from there, but I was terribly wrong. This was possibly the worst Big Ten Tournament performance I have seen from an Illinois tea.
I have to agree. I think most posts from others are spot on. Sitting in the stands supporting Illini was tough to watch for the most part, one of the worse B10 performances as a team that I can remember. IMO, Williams arena stunk too. After the tournament, the 7 hour drive home felt like 10 hours. Not a good year.

Last edited by Dondo; 03-12-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-12-2019
Double stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulach View Post

G3 plane, be a baller!
Huh? If they could build a fence around Illinois they would go top 3 almost immediately. Iowa has made a living on IL guys.
Old 03-12-2019
Varsity

I couldn't agree more. So don't waste your time and energy. Get on a plane fly 2 hours instead of driving 2 hours.

There has to be a reason why a lot of elite Illinois wrestlers leave the state...

-Money/Scholarships
-Admissions
-Facilities

Whatever it is, I hope the University of Illinois figures it out and starts to compete at a higher with the surrounding states. Because they are kicking our tails, and pissing in our coffee.

Head Position
Old 03-12-2019

All Illinois Team

Based on Flowrestling's latest rankings... I quickly put together a lineup of all Illinois guys.

Wt: Name: Rank: Yr:
125 - T. Piotrowski 12 Jr.
133 - A. Gomez 11 Fr.
141 - J. Alber 6 Sr.
149 - A. O'Connor 5 Fr.
157 - L. Early 6 Jr.
165 - I. White 6 Jr.
174 - ???
184 - E. Parker 8 Sr.
197 - P. Brucki 3 So.
285 - A. Cassioppi UR Fr.

Others in the room:
125:
McGee - 16
Oliver - 18
Townsell - 19

141:
Gil - 17

157:
Barone - 9

165:
Gunther - 18

197:
Warner - 5
Brunner - 10
Traxler - 11
Schultz - 12
Old 03-13-2019
Olympian

MY UNSOLICITED ADVICE TO PARKER AND CARR

If you could give Emery Parker and Michael Carr advice before the NCAA Tournament, what would it be? Here is what I've come up with.

For Emery Parker, I would simply say that he has proven, beyond a reasonable doubt, that he has a Lion's Heart, that he can come back from disappointment in the hardest tournaments in college wrestling and win third place. Not many people have the skills or guts or resolve to do that.

You have all three.

So, that gives you an advantage over every single wrestler at the Big Dance not named "Myles." Use it. Wrestle confidently in the early rounds because even if you make a mistake, you know you can correct it. We know you can correct it. And beat that ******* Buckeye!

Michael Carr, you need to get past this last go, and never get down on yourself. Work on your health and lungs and then do what you do best. The pressure is off, but your road will be a little harder. You can beat these guys, including Jaydin Vowels and Nick Lee and Chad Red and all the others. Your strength is your strength. Capitalize on it and ...

GO ILLINI!!!
Sponsored Links