Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 12-24-2019
Olympian

The ILLINI Midlands Holiday Preview!

THE ILLINI MIDLANDS HOLIDAY PREVIEW!

Whether you hang stockings above the fireplace or light the Menorah or drink from the Unity Cup or celebrate the birth of your savior, Satan, the Prince of Darkness with the Woodland Critters in Iowa, it is time to celebrate! It's Midlands Time! The happiest time of the year!

TIS THE SEASON: You know that I hate Iowa. I hate Iowa like they bombed the World Trade Center, like they ate of the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil, or like they star in a wacky pre-teen show on The Disney Channel called "Shouting Children." But I hate Leukemia even worse.

There's a gofundme page for Brandon Sorensen here. If you have a couple of extra dollars, why not brighten his holiday season a little bit? It will make you feel good. It even worked for me, Scrooge McChief.

WHAT: 57th Ken Kraft Midlands Championship
WHERE: Hoffman Estates, ILLINOIS
WHEN: Sunday, December 29 -- Monday, December 30
TV: FLO

TV COVERAGE/STREAM: I looked around the internet for any information about coverage, and found that FLO is going to stream. No Big Ten Network, at least so far as I can tell. Here's the link if you need to purchase Flo Pro. Hey, the Garlic City Rumble is included in the package! According to our friend, jay31, it will be covered on BTN+.

PARTICIPATING TEAMS: The ILLINI, Iowa, Northern Iowa, Princeton, Wisconsin, Army, Stupid Northwestern, Oklahoma, Central Michigan, Campbell, NIU, Purdue, Brown, Penn, Bucknell, Harvard, Franklin & Marshall, North Carolina, Bloomsburg, Columbia, Indiana, Ohio, American, Virginia and Cal Poly.

Also, there are a number of teams who will be sending partial squads or redshirts or roster guys. These may include, Michigan, Ohio State, Minnesota, Rutgers, Michigan State, Oregon State, Air Force and SIU-E.

PARTICIPATING INDIVIDUALS OF NOTE: Here is a list, by weight, of the guys who may show up in the brackets depending upon injury, amount of Turkey or Ham stuffed down their craw, and illness--

125. Justin Cardani, ILLINI; Spencer Lee, Iowa; Jack Mueller, Virginia; Sebastian Rivera, Stupid Northwestern (might go 133 b/c he's chubby); Patrick Glory, Princeton; Devin Schroder, Purdue; Joey Melendez, UNC; Jacob Schwarm, Northern Iowa; Drew Hildebrandt, Central Michigan, Carmen Ferrante, Penn; Bryce West, NIU; Austin Assad, Michigan (or one of their other backups); Trey Chalifoux, Army; Eric Barnett, Wisconsin; Gage Curry, American; Brock Hudkins, Indiana; Joe Manchio, Columbia; Mike DeAugustino, Stupid Northwestern.

There's a much, much longer list of wrestlers attending who aren't ranked in the top fifty. Cardani will need to beat all of those guys he runs into and maybe pick off some of these fellows in the top 50. Use that speed and those takedown skilz, young man! If folks like Jacob Schwarm and Drew Hildebrandt are the level you need to beat to place at Midlands this year, Cardani might do it.

133. Travis Piotrowski, ILLINI; Austin DeSanto, Iowa; Seth Gross, Wisconsin; Louie Hayes, Virginia; Noah Gonser, Campbell; Anthony Madrigal, Oklahoma; Colin Valdiviez, Stupid Northwestern; Lane Peters, Army; Josh Mason, Bloomsburg.

The Indestructible PIO should do well here. The lineup of wrestlers except the top two are gentlemen you'd expect him to beat or at least give a good go against. There is an even longer list than at 125 of wrestlers not in the top 50. Of course, Pio should beat all of them, and he should place ahead of most of the people in the list above.

141. Dylan Duncan, ILLINI; Dom Demas, Oklahoma; Tristan Moran, Wisconsin; Shakur Laney, Ohio; Max Murin and Carter Happell, Iowa; Saul Ervin, SIU-E; Corey Shie, Army; Jamie Hernandez, North Carolina; Wil Gil, Franklin & Marshall; Marshall Keller, Princeton; ; Zach Sherman, North Carolina; Salvatore Profaci, American; Parker Filius, Purdue; Matt Kazimir, Columbia; Alex Hrisopoulos, MSU.

I think a healthy Dylan Duncan can beat all these guys. He has a wonderful opportunity to place at the Midlands this year. Let's all blow out our Holiday candles and wish for a healthy Duncan.

TO BE CONTINUED ...

Last edited by ChiefIllini1; 12-25-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-24-2019
Varsity

Happy holidays Chief and put in a good word for me with that satanic overlord in case this whole Christmas thing doesnt pan out. The BTN app shows full coverage of the Midlands on BTN+ as well but doesnt look like the finals will be on regular BTN like some previous years.
Old 12-24-2019
Olympian

There's no dual with Iowa this year, so we gotta crack on Brando now. We just gotta. It's a great way to end the year and start the next one.

149. Mike Carr, ILLINI; Matt Kolodzik, Princeton (has been injured since 11/3; possible redshirt); Austin O'Connor, UNC; Patricio Lugo, Iowa (has been short since birth); Tony Artalona, Penn; Griffin Parriott, Purdue; Max Thomsen, Northern Iowa; Josh Heil, Campbell (nice 15-1 record); Cole Martin, Wisconsin; Denton Spencer, Virginia; Yaha Thomas, Stupid Northwestern; Alec Hagan, Ohio; Dresden Simon, CMU.

Will Mike Carr make his 2019-2020 debut at the Midlands? If so, he doesn't have an impossible bracket to win. The Princeton kid has been out with injury for a month and a half. Has Carr been able to add on some strong weight? He looked thin near the end of last year at 141. I could see a very high placement for a healthy Mike Carr.

157. Eric Barone, ILLINI; Ryan Deakin, Stupid Northwestern; Kaleb Young, Iowa; Quincy Monday, Princeton; Kendall Coleman; Purdue; Zach Hartman, Bucknell; Luke Weiland, Army; Logan Parks, CMU; Zac Carson, Ohio; Justin McCoy, Virginia; Justin Thomas, Oklahoma; A.C. Headlee, UNC; Ethan Karsten, American; Hunter Ladnier, Harvard.

This weight is pretty deep, and the folks at the top are very strong. I would love to see a Barone/Young rematch. Also, Barone lost to Army's Weiland in the dual, so that would be a nice rematch. There are a ton of guys not mentioned that Eric needs to beat. If he can pick off some of the guys who are listed, he'll have a nice tournament.

165. Danny Braunagel, ILLINI; Alex Marinelli, Iowa; Evan Wick, Wisconsin; Cael McCormick, Army; Kennedy Monday, UNC; Jonathan Viruet, Brown; Emil Soehnlen, Purdue; Leonard Merkin, Princeton; Phillip Conigliaro, Harvard; Kenny Moore, NIU (the Huskies have a couple of guys at this weight who are pretty good); Shayne Oster, Stupid Northwestern.

This is a really tough bracket with a number of big guns and fellas you expect to AA at the Big Dance. All of the guys listed above are very tough, and will take Brawny2's full energy to beat them. There is a longer list of guys that he'll need to beat to get to them. I expect Danny to get a seed so he should stay out of the deep waters for a match or two. Army's Cael McCormick missed the ILLINI dual earlier this season.

174. Joey "Guns" Gunther, ILLINI; Taylor Lujan, Northern Iowa; Ben Harvey, Army; Dylan Lydy, Purdue; Bryce Steiert, Northern Iowa; Brit Wilson, NIU; Anthony Mantanona, Oklahoma; Travis Stefanik; Princeton; Clay Laut, UNC; Jake Covaciu, Indiana; Tyler Morland, Stupid Northwestern; Andrew Morgan, Campbell.

That's a very short list. The rest of the participants should be "W's" for Guns. The ILLINI lost a 7-4 decision to Ben Harvey of Army, and he didn't have to face Brit Wilson of NIU. You would expect Guns to place here.

184. Zac Braunagel, ILLINI; Cash Wilcke and Brando, Jr., Iowa; Johnny Sebastian, Wiscy; Noah Stewart, Army; Kevin Parker, Princeton; Will Feldkamp, NIU (hasn't wrestled since MSU Open); Tanner Harvey, American; Max Lyon, Purdue; Darrien Roberts, Oklahoma; Michael Battista, Virginia; Trevor Allard, Bloomsburg; Jack Jessen, Stupid Northwestern.

That's also a pretty short list. There are some real quality guys there. For example, Noah Stewart from Army beat Johnny Sebastian 3-1 during their dual. Brawny1 should place, and he can really make a statement here with a top showing.

197. Matt Wroblewski, ILLINI; Patrick Brucki, Princeton; Jacob Warner, Iowa; Christian Brunner, Purdue; Jake Woodley, Oklahoma; Thomas Lane, Cal Poly; Drew Phipps, Bucknell; Jay Aiello, Virginia; Jake Walker, Ohio; Lucas Davison, Stupid Northwestern.

That's a real short list. Quality at the top, but it should leave a long roster of wrestlers who Wrobo-cop can beat. He may even get a little uuseeding consideration.

285. Luke Luffman, ILLINI; Matt Stencel, CMU; Anthony Cassioppi, Iowa; Trent Hillger, Wisconsin; Odgerek Batkhishig, Campbell; Carter Isley, Northern Iowa; Ben Sullivan, Army; Thomas Penola, Purdue; Quinn Miller, Virginia; Jordan Earnest, Ohio; Niko Camacho, American; Yaraslau Slavilouski, Harvard; Andrew Gunning, UNC.

A final short list, but it will provide numerous opportunities for Luke Luffman to gauge his status this year. He did not wrestle Ben Sullivan of Army during that dual. I think the Urbana native has a case to be seeded #4 from this list. Of course, there are undoubtedly other quality wrestlers that I've missed with these lists. Feel free to add to them!

WHO ELSE IS COMING FOR THE ILLINI? We should get to see all of the young studs from the ILLINI team making their Midland's debut. That could include, Byrd, Zaccone, Shannon, Sizemore and many others. Who shows?

Last edited by ChiefIllini1; 12-26-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-24-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
Happy holidays Chief and put in a good word for me with that satanic overlord in case this whole Christmas thing doesnt pan out. The BTN app shows full coverage of the Midlands on BTN+ as well but doesnt look like the finals will be on regular BTN like some previous years.
Thanks for the correction and information, Jay! All I could find was "TBA." Good to hear the team will get that exposure. It would be better if they showed the finals and publicized it!

As for Satan, he says "Hi."
Old 12-24-2019
Double stud

Chief your lineup information is REALLY outdated. You might need to check on some things.
Old 12-24-2019
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Turban View Post
Chief your lineup information is REALLY outdated. You might need to check on some things.
Which thing, About the word stupid in front of Northwestern or omitting 149 Northwestern as the other Northwestern up at 165!
Old 12-24-2019
Double stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stritchjanitor View Post
Which thing, About the word stupid in front of Northwestern or omitting 149 Northwestern as the other Northwestern up at 165!
Well if we're talking 149 Kolodzik is on Olympic redshirt. O'Connor is the #1 ranked wrestler in the country and totally not included, Artalona and Simon are not at 149. No Parriott mentioned. No Mike DAngelo Princeton. No Kizhan Clarke American U, etc. Olivas is at 157 IIRC.

157 No Coleman, who will be the #2 or #3 seed.

141 Blockhus UNI should do well and could win it. Alber will definitely not do well as he has graduated. Hernandez is at 133, etc.

... So yes, lots of outdated information, and I only looked at a few weights.

I imagine he's checking the website rosters, which are notoriously poorly updated.
Old 12-24-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Well if we're talking 149 Kolodzik is on Olympic redshirt. O'Connor is the #1 ranked wrestler in the country and totally not included, Artalona and Simon are not at 149. No Parriott mentioned. No Mike DAngelo Princeton. No Kizhan Clarke American U, etc. Olivas is at 157 IIRC.

141 Blockhus UNI should do well and could win it. Alber will definitely not do well as he has graduated. Hernandez is at 133, etc.

I imagine he's checking the website rosters, which are notoriously poorly updated.
My argument is at least the guy is bringing some good discussion to the board. This place is dead lately unless someone argues against montini.
Old 12-24-2019
Olympian

Quote:

Thanks for the corrections! I'll update later tonight. Happy Holidays!

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 12-25-2019
Olympian

For the World's Best Tom Brands memes, always see the Chief.

Sponsored Links