Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 4 Weeks Ago
hawkeye 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
10. IMAR's superduck in the second period of the second match was very fast, beautiful technique …

11. … And he moved right into a brutal leglace. Watching Coach Poeta cheering after the points were awarded was bonus.

12. I'm probably the littlest donor that the ILLINOIS REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER has. I'm po. But I had to pony up a few bucks for this. You can too, here. This will buy Zane or Jesse or Max or Ellis or Isaiah (but not all of them) one steak dinner at the Outback, but only an 8oz. steak. So, they need your help!

GO IRTC/IMAR!!!
Looks more like an elbow post. But you’re the expert!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
hawkeye 4 life

Quote:
Now that I've had a chance to go through the matches with slo-mo and look at the quick adjustments and re-adjustments, I have to say that IMAR and his coaching staff deserve a lot of credit.

An immense amount of credit.

Whereas last year, IMAR fought hard, he still seemed a little glad to be there. At this Final X, he tried to dominate. In his post-match interview, Burroughs said he was not going to wrestle any simulation matches again with IMAR. That says something right there. Some observations:

1. IMAR used the same attack that Burroughs has used over the years. By this, I mean the double leg attack that keeps pressing forward with quick duck walks and steps, pushes and jumps. IMAR is learning. He did it as well as the old master himself. This is an attack that IMAR will be able to use against anybody. I hope he remembers to keep that in his pocket when he's down a point or two in future matches.

2. IMAR started off the first match in the Franklin Gomez tailback stance, but he was much more aggressive than Gomez.

3. The weight issue is going to be an issue for the rest of Jordan Burroughs' competitive life. These are the new weigh-in rules, you better get used to them. (Also, I can't help but think that if a Nebraskan was weighing meth with the upstairs scale, he'd be accurate down to the micro-milligram. But that's just me being honest). On another note, Burroughs will likely never have a "home crowd" advantage again.

4. IMAR used the Roman Knuckle locks not to piss off Burroughs, but to defend. Brilliant!

5. In his post-match interview, Burroughs said that IMAR came within 6 minutes of beating him. I beg to differ. IMAR came within 9 seconds of winning. (I agree that Burroughs would've wrestled that second match differently, but if we are going to do hypotheticals....).

6. IMAR met Burroughs with his head and biceps and shoulder when Burroughs was trying to score to take the lead with short time. You know the Burroughs drive-to-push-you-off-the-mat thing. It was very close to working. Also, IMAR circled in.

7. IMAR is a mini-Sads or at least a mini-Yazdani. I think this guy is going to win a world championship if he stays injury free.

8. Will these fellows please wrestle again tomorrow?

9. The squeaky guy from Flo used to be wrong all the time, but he's now right most of the time. Winter weather advisory for Hell.

I don't know IMAR; never shook his hand, but damn, I'm proud of him and excited for his future! Is that wrong? I don't think so!

To be continued....

GO IMAR/IRTC!!!
Mini Sads, get real. Only difference is the amount of world/Olympic titles, minor details.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-I-am View Post
Mini Sads, get real. Only difference is the amount of world/Olympic titles, minor details.
I find arguments about picayune matters to be tiring, and in a show of respect to the board, I will clearly indicate the trivial argument by putting it into a quote. For those also tired of the silly, you may skip the next quote, which is a lesson in analogies.

Quote:
THE ANALOGY

Most writers use analogies to offer quick comparisons between objects or people, providing a shortcut to understand a point the author is trying to make. Some readers--the very dumb ones--fail to understand that most analogies are not all-encompassing comparisons.

For example, a normal person would understand that, "IMAR has the heart of a Lion," doesn't mean that IMAR underwent transplant surgery and had his own heart replaced with that of a lion. Or, that for Christmas one year, he opened a package and found the heart of a lion inside of it.

In this particular case, I was referring to appearances. Like Sadulaev and Yazdani (at 86kg), IMAR is a heavily-muscled, stocky man with a large chest and powerful legs. He is also skilled at wrestling. Let's test your new understanding of analogies!

Your test: "That was a Tom Brands brain fart" likely means:

(a) Tom Brands' brain actually and literally farted; or,
(b) Tom Brands probably did something stupid again.

If you selected "b" above, Congratulations! You've just completed the Chief's Analogy Course. This is worth 2 semester credits at Iowa Community College.
13. One thing that I failed to note in my posts above, or at least emphasize enough, is that IMAR changed up his style for these matches. I can't remember the exact number, but I think he threw in maybe three or four underhooks combined during all three matches.

Instead, he worked mainly from a collar tie. I did say earlier that IMAR is learning. But, it's even more than that. It shows that IMAR is smart, flexible, and can gameplan against specific wrestlers. That's a great combination to have!

There was evidence of this throughout the series of matches, and it was not just related to the underhooks. For example, IMAR also decided that the best way to deal with Burroughs' duck-walk-jump-at-you-push-double-leg attack was to meet him low and with his head.

That was the single biggest advantage that Burroughs had in their first Final X set of matches. It was what I was worried about more than anything else. IMAR figured out a way to stop it (most of the time). I'm sure the coaches deserve credit as well, but it was IMAR who adapted.

14. Cool tweet:

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:

14. Cool tweet:

19.2K views of an IMAR match? Sounds a lot like Kirk Cousins telling his team that the Vikings are the reason why their game vs. the Bears got flexed to the prime time game last year.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opinionated View Post
19.2K views of an IMAR match? Sounds a lot like Kirk Cousins telling his team that the Vikings are the reason why their game vs. the Bears got flexed to the prime time game last year.
Beg to differ. Here's an analogy for you, courtesy of the New York Times:

An unbeatable champ winning is a non-story. An unbeatable champ losing or being taken to his limits is a big story. To put it into some perspective, Burroughs' record against Kyle Dake is 7-1; Burroughs' record against David Taylor is 4-0. We know what those two accomplished after that.

GO IRTC/IMAR!!!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
hawkeye 4 life

Quote:
I find arguments about picayune matters to be tiring, and in a show of respect to the board, I will clearly indicate the trivial argument by putting it into a quote. For those also tired of the silly, you may skip the next quote, which is a lesson in analogies.

13. One thing that I failed to note in my posts above, or at least emphasize enough, is that IMAR changed up his style for these matches. I can't remember the exact number, but I think he threw in maybe three or four underhooks combined during all three matches.

Instead, he worked mainly from a collar tie. I did say earlier that IMAR is learning. But, it's even more than that. It shows that IMAR is smart, flexible, and can gameplan against specific wrestlers. That's a great combination to have!

There was evidence of this throughout the series of matches, and it was not just related to the underhooks. For example, IMAR also decided that the best way to deal with Burroughs' duck-walk-jump-at-you-push-double-leg attack was to meet him low and with his head.

That was the single biggest advantage that Burroughs had in their first Final X set of matches. It was what I was worried about more than anything else. IMAR figured out a way to stop it (most of the time). I'm sure the coaches deserve credit as well, but it was IMAR who adapted.

14. Cool tweet:

Doesn’t matter what analogy you’re trying to make. Comparing imar to sadulaev in anyway is laughable.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-I-am View Post
Doesn’t matter what analogy you’re trying to make. Comparing imar to sadulaev in anyway is laughable.
Sponsored Links