Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 12-10-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Bottleservice View Post
In Iowa their state rule is that no wrestler will shake the opposing coaches hand during a dual meet, or they will be deducted a team point.

The rationale is that if a kid loses, is throwing a fit, says something or a kid on the bench says something to them then a situation could be started that is now only doing more harm than good.

The captains and coaches shake hands pre-dual, the kids shake each other's hands before the match, the kids shake each other's hands after the match, ALL the kids and coaches shake hands after the dual...what's the need for one more handshake lol?
I guess you REALLY don't like shaking hands if you decided to respond to my same response twice.....

Maybe kids in Iowa don't have any class, maybe their coaches don't have any class.

It seems to me if any state, including Iowa, has to implement a "rule... that no wrestler will shake the opposing coaches hand during a dual meet, or they will be deducted a team point." then they don't have much of a sense of decency or teach their kids sportsmanship if they are worried that "if a kid loses, is throwing a fit, says something or a kid on the bench says something to them then a situation could be started that is now only doing more harm than good."
I think it does more harm to take a kid away from a situation where they would have to show dignity and respect to their opponent, regardless of the outcome.

If your wrestlers on the bench can't show respect and they say something to the opposing wrestler then the coach should reprimand him, if he doesn't, then he doesn't deserve respect from his kids.
If they do it in the first place, he doesn't have much, if any respect from his kids.

There is no way any of the kids that I coached would have said anything to the opposing team other than encouraging words or congratulations, or they would have had to deal with me.
It was that way when I was a kid, it should be the same now, respect your opponents, your coaches and the sport.

I have seen plenty of kids, at all levels, throw fits in duals and tournaments in Illinois, Iowa etc. and every time I have seen the coach tell the kid to shake hands - then they will have words with that kid later on and explain to him how stupid he looked.

Wrestling is an emotional sport, but if you think that it is SO emotional that a kid shouldn't have to show respect to his opponent, his opposing coaches or to the sport itself, then I don't know what else I could say to you.

Win with class, lose with dignity.
Old 12-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clearly View Post
I guess you REALLY don't like shaking hands if you decided to respond to my same response twice.....

Maybe kids in Iowa don't have any class, maybe their coaches don't have any class.

It seems to me if any state, including Iowa, has to implement a "rule... that no wrestler will shake the opposing coaches hand during a dual meet, or they will be deducted a team point." then they don't have much of a sense of decency or teach their kids sportsmanship if they are worried that "if a kid loses, is throwing a fit, says something or a kid on the bench says something to them then a situation could be started that is now only doing more harm than good."
I think it does more harm to take a kid away from a situation where they would have to show dignity and respect to their opponent, regardless of the outcome.

If your wrestlers on the bench can't show respect and they say something to the opposing wrestler then the coach should reprimand him, if he doesn't, then he doesn't deserve respect from his kids.
If they do it in the first place, he doesn't have much, if any respect from his kids.

There is no way any of the kids that I coached would have said anything to the opposing team other than encouraging words or congratulations, or they would have had to deal with me.
It was that way when I was a kid, it should be the same now, respect your opponents, your coaches and the sport.

I have seen plenty of kids, at all levels, throw fits in duals and tournaments in Illinois, Iowa etc. and every time I have seen the coach tell the kid to shake hands - then they will have words with that kid later on and explain to him how stupid he looked.

Wrestling is an emotional sport, but if you think that it is SO emotional that a kid shouldn't have to show respect to his opponent, his opposing coaches or to the sport itself, then I don't know what else I could say to you.

Instead of telling everyone what type of cowboy boot wearing coaches do from GBN and Gold Dot Nation. Why dont you enlighten us on who your repping and all of your great coaching advice. I sure know Coach Hahn and crew have turned out some of Illinois best wrestlers and men. Why dont you leave the coaching to the pros and just let the rest of us know what you saw at the dual and stick to the wrestling
Old 12-11-2019
Varsity

Quote:

Man, you really like shaking hands.

YOU may have done all of those things, but clearly a precedent was set, a rule was made, and as luck would have it...Wrestling still continues in high schools across the state of Iowa without the kids getting a 5th handshake in for each dual meet.

If you coached in Iowa you would be costing your team many points in duals by still forcing those kids to shake hands because that's what you did growing up, LOL!

I'm just saying that this many handshakes seems redundant, and you somehow turn that into bad sportsmanship...OK BOOMER!
Old 12-11-2019
eazymoney

not shaking hands

Quote:

I think the main reason they went away with it aside from a get being mad when he or she goes oer to other coach is that in a dual meet situation the other coach is trying to get his next guy ready. Might be doing strategy on who to report and has things on his own team to take care of rather than shaking another kids hand for the possibly the 3rd time that night. And one final thought. If you are judging a kid or teams character based on if they shake the other coaches hand then obviously all that hand shaking you did with the other coach did not help mold you into a better person or teach you respect.
Old 12-11-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazymoney View Post
I think the main reason they went away with it aside from a get being mad when he or she goes oer to other coach is that in a dual meet situation the other coach is trying to get his next guy ready. Might be doing strategy on who to report and has things on his own team to take care of rather than shaking another kids hand for the possibly the 3rd time that night. And one final thought. If you are judging a kid or teams character based on if they shake the other coaches hand then obviously all that hand shaking you did with the other coach did not help mold you into a better person or teach you respect.

You dont understand Clearly's point....the 4 handshakes before dont matter, if you dont do the 5th handshake you have no class.
Old 12-12-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraptime View Post
Instead of telling everyone what type of cowboy boot wearing coaches do from GBN and Gold Dot Nation. Why dont you enlighten us on who your repping and all of your great coaching advice. I sure know Coach Hahn and crew have turned out some of Illinois best wrestlers and men. Why dont you leave the coaching to the pros and just let the rest of us know what you saw at the dual and stick to the wrestling
Way to miss the point of what I was saying and try to twist the words into an insult of GBN and its coaching staff.

Try reading comprehension.

Sorry coach (with 1 post..........)
Old 12-12-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Way to miss the point of what I was saying and try to twist the words into an insult of GBN and its coaching staff.

Maybe you guys should shake hands 5 times and make up.
Old 12-12-2019

Quote:

Not going to argue with someone who just likes to hear themselves talk. You still havnt answered the questions. Sounds like your such a good coach, why dont you give us some of your coaching credentials seeing as you are so quick to judge others. And why dont you give us some actual wrestling results. You were there for the no hand shake. What actually happened at the dual. Or you can start another post on wrestling etiquette. You sure like to type. Why dont you put it to use
Old 12-12-2019
Varsity

I kind of agree that we do way to much hand shaking at these meets. It is kind of like we are trying to convince everyone that we REALLY are nice guys. I actually prefer it when the other kid does not come over and shake my hand. Especially if he beat my kid. Call me poor sport, but it is how I feel. If the kid comes over, I will shake his hand, but I prefer it if he does not come over.
Sponsored Links