Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 09-23-2005
Varsity

The Burk Blog 9/22 - Introducing Myself

Many of you probably do not know me, but many of you probably do. My name is Duke Burk and I am a freshman wrestler and student at Northern Illinois University. In high school, I qualified for state all 4 years, being a 2-time all stater, finishing 4th my junior year at 152 and 3rd last year at 160. I finished 3rd at the NHSCA Senior Nationals in April, 5th in the Greco National Tournament in Fargo, and then followed that up with a 6th place finish in freestyle. I went to Peoria Notre Dame and I was coached by my father, Kevin Burk. I have been wrestling since the age of 4 and have been around it my whole life.

I have been up here for about 5 weeks now, and preseason practice is about to reach its end. We begin the regular season on October 3rd. We run/drill and lift 4 mornings a week at 6:30 in the morning and have open room 3 times per week. It is nice being on a team where everyone has the same goal, getting in the lineup and winning nationals, whether it be this year for some or in 4 years for others. The partners that you have to wrestle with every day just makes you better if you work hard, nothing else. Every one is tough and nothing is going to come easy.

I will be keeping you all updated 1-2 times per week with how things are going. Feedback would be nice to know what you want to hear about and what you are really interested in about the college wrestling life. I will be back with you all soon. Peace.

- Duke

Last edited by admin; 09-23-2005 at 12:31 AM.
Sponsored Links