Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 12-18-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Turban View Post
This group of IL guys was not as dominant nationally at the youth levels as the last group that is in college now. Youth domination was solidly east coast with this group, so the results are not surprising.

Montini did their annual 3rd-5th so that looked fine. Mt Carmel guys will do fine this season and will be well prepared for the next level. Don't know much about Marmion's situation.
No matter how you look at it. This was the worst showing from Illinois in years.
Old 12-18-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog81 View Post
No matter how you look at it. This was the worst showing from Illinois in years.
Why is Illinois not as dominant on the national seen as they were 3-10 years ago? Here are some thoughts...

Most of our best wrestlers go to 1-3 places to wrestle in the off season. These programs are dominating the off season by getting all the best wrestlers together, but how can those wrestlers improve their technique in large rooms. All the wrestlers learned the sport from different club coaches, then those wrestlers leave the club to go to a large name sometime in junior high or high school. Their style is changed, or at least stops progressing. Less time gets spent with them to perfect their technique. Granted, they get to roll with other top wrestlers, but I think this ends up being a bad trade in the long run. Junior high and high school years should be spent learning more and more technique with detailed hands on coaching for your kid. If your kid isnt getting attention, look for some individual training to supplement his going live. Live wrestling is over-rated in this state. Rolling hard will improve you incrementally, but large leaps in wrestling come from perfecting technique and drilling over and over something that no one else can defend.
Old 12-18-2019
Varsity

Well said. I think in the last 5 years or so it has become much more of a muscle game than technical.
Old 12-19-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
Wlearning more and more technique with detailed hands on coaching for your kid. If your kid isnt getting attention, look for some individual training to supplement his going live. Live wrestling is over-rated in this state. Rolling hard will improve you incrementally, but large leaps in wrestling come from perfecting technique and drilling over and over something that no one else can defend.
Interesting. I always saw that as the difference between wrestling and martial arts. That is why I valued my sons' training in Judo when they wrestled, it was that individual attention to detail they got in small judo class instead of giant wrestling rooms. Granted, their wrestling coaches did not let them use those cross-over techniques but that is a different story.